Bullnose Forums

84 F-150 300i6 3 speed OD 2.47 rears 2WD

844rd

Steering box: Ford's design used the case for the front bearing, but after several thousand miles the case wears. You can buy a "rebuilt" steering box, like from Cardone, but they don't do anything about the worn case. However, both RedHead and Blue-Top bore out the original case and install a true bearing. So the box is really better than new. RedHead has gotten some bad reviews of late, but I don't really know if there's a problem. Blue-Top appears to be run by a previous RedHead employee and is getting good reviews, but someone recently said they were out of product when he contacted them.

Hey Gary,

Been meaning to come back and reply here. What have you been reading about the RedHead box issues? I'm hoping to order one this fall...just waiting for the next sale...maybe Thanksgiving or at Christmas...whenever.

Brandon/Bruno2 is the one that told me about reading of problems at RedHead. So I really don't know for sure that there is a problem, or that they haven't corrected it if there is one.

In reality, there are always a number of people who find fault with anything. So when I read negative reviews I try to ignore a certain percentage of complaints. Perhaps that's what this is/was. I don't really know.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brandon/Bruno2 is the one that told me about reading of problems at RedHead. So I really don't know for sure that there is a problem, or that they haven't corrected it if there is one.

In reality, there are always a number of people who find fault with anything. So when I read negative reviews I try to ignore a certain percentage of complaints. Perhaps that's what this is/was. I don't really know.

OK, fair enough then. I had come across complaints online before as well, but nothing consistent. My little short wheel base 2wd truck only driven occasionally should be an easy application for a RedHead box, compared to something that's lifted, with huge tires, and used offroad. I know that anything is possible, but I'm assuming that issues or failures would be more common in applications that are far more demanding than mine. Maybe I'm just optimistic;).

I was taking out the vinyl floor mat and insulation and found this spec sheet taped under the insulation under the drivers seat. Also done the cowl seal the way I learned from this forum.

Neat find. I've done some work trying to interpret them: http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/build-sheet-interpretation.html.

And the cowl seal looks good. :nabble_smiley_good:

When I had the emission stuff removed, so went the charcoal canister, But now I have the gas tank vent line just laying there. I feel like I should have a makeshift filter or something there. Ant ideas????:nabble_smiley_thinking:Gas tank vent

I used a short section of vacuum hose and inserted what I believe is one of the small bubblers [aerators] used in an aquarium.

When I had the emission stuff removed, so went the charcoal canister, But now I have the gas tank vent line just laying there. I feel like I should have a makeshift filter or something there. Ant ideas????:nabble_smiley_thinking:Gas tank vent

I used a short section of vacuum hose and inserted what I believe is one of the small bubblers [aerators] used in an aquarium.

Thanks for the idea.

Thanks for the idea.

If you can find the vent hose from a diesel, it is the same as the non-emissions Canadian trucks that did not have the charcoal evap canisters. The hose is just fitted with a breathing cap (button shaped cap with a 3-fin post that plugs into the end of the vent hose. That is what I put on my ‘81 since I had the two tanks that came out of my ‘86 IDI.

If you can find the vent hose from a diesel, it is the same as the non-emissions Canadian trucks that did not have the charcoal evap canisters. The hose is just fitted with a breathing cap (button shaped cap with a 3-fin post that plugs into the end of the vent hose. That is what I put on my ‘81 since I had the two tanks that came out of my ‘86 IDI.

Thanks for that info.

• 4 weeks later...
I've not heard of anyone repainting them, but from the instructions it looks like you might be able to remove the gears with the numbers on them. That might make it easier. But, not easy as there are lots of numbers to repaint. Like 60 of them?It might be easier to find a better odometer.
In case anyone is interested. I pulled the Speedo to paint the needle. While it was drying I pulled the trip odometer to check it out. I found that the pin holding the reset mechanism etc was bent and that's what messed up the numbers. With the pin bent, the mechanism acts like a scraper as it gets pushed out of position and rubs all the paint and plastic/rubber off the wheels. Too late for mine but if someone notices the paint fading on their trip odometer, they should check the pin to see it it's bent.

Sully

On Thu, Sep 6, 2018, 4:36 PM Gary Lewis [via Bullnose Enthusiasts] <redacted_email_address> wrote: