Bullnose Forums

Proper Alignment Specifications

in looking for new springs for my 81 f250 camper special I was surprised to find the same springs listed for

f100 through f250 from most available sources. yet I did find also that there are sources who sell the same spring for 80-96 while a few list the 80-81 as a different spring. I'm wondering now whether you have a spring spec'd for a different model holding it too high either due to coil rate or static height differences. a "one size fits all" mistake. taller /stiffer spring will add camber every time!

20221204_123011.jpg.9ecac4ad2bfb8ae5f577c1b4a428500b.jpg

I tried changing the springs but as you can see, the new springs listed by Moog were much larger. Making my positive camber worse. I have gone back to the original factory springs and it is not as bad (but still positive). I've replaced the pivot bushings on the i beams and that didn't help. I'm tired of chasing it. I'm just going to have the toe and castor fixed and be done with it!

I tried changing the springs but as you can see, the new springs listed by Moog were much larger. Making my positive camber worse. I have gone back to the original factory springs and it is not as bad (but still positive). I've replaced the pivot bushings on the i beams and that didn't help. I'm tired of chasing it. I'm just going to have the toe and castor fixed and be done with it!

another issue that I discovered when I was checking mine was that the spring seat on the passenger side is only about 1" tall. on later models they had a combo set using a 1-3/8" on the passenger side and a 1-1/8" on the driver side. is there any chance yours got taller ones at some time? it's not real likely but possible. mine was sagging slightly giving neg camber so I went to the parts drawer and got a taller one and it was perfect.

another issue that I discovered when I was checking mine was that the spring seat on the passenger side is only about 1" tall.

These ones are from a 1984 2wd. I didn't get them mixed up, but it has happened before when guys rip the whole front end apart and then forget which one goes where lol.

IMG_3730.jpg.dd4509b74a49c4f60ab1fb4fd29d9ba6.jpg

Later in the 80's when they added the integrated swaybar mounts to the spring seats, the spring seats got shorter.

IMG_5119.jpg.c337b3e359109a177a095925bd4f00a7.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg.9dd47723c8975304db9ca9d1966bf8aa.jpg

another issue that I discovered when I was checking mine was that the spring seat on the passenger side is only about 1" tall.

These ones are from a 1984 2wd. I didn't get them mixed up, but it has happened before when guys rip the whole front end apart and then forget which one goes where lol.

Later in the 80's when they added the integrated swaybar mounts to the spring seats, the spring seats got shorter.

those 4x4 sway bar mounts are gold. and yes they are a bit shorter. it has to do with the dimentions of the stamped ttb as opposed to the twin i beams.

another issue that I discovered when I was checking mine was that the spring seat on the passenger side is only about 1" tall. on later models they had a combo set using a 1-3/8" on the passenger side and a 1-1/8" on the driver side. is there any chance yours got taller ones at some time? it's not real likely but possible. mine was sagging slightly giving neg camber so I went to the parts drawer and got a taller one and it was perfect.

I will check mine today when mounting my new wheels. Thanks for the advice!