Bullnose Forums

Cab replacement: now, later, or even at all?

Jon M

Jon I'm not sure that Jolene is 4wd, but I think it is. And assuming it isn't a California truck and doesn't have the high-altitude calibration there are only 3 calibration parts lists that are for an '84 F150 4wd w/a 300 six: #353; 355; & 364. And all three use the same valve: E43Z 9F491-C or CX-921.

Right, Ralph?

Gary, that sure seems like the part. At least based on a quick internet search. Also looks like it's been discontinued. But at least now I know what I'm looking for, so I should be able to dig and find one somewhere.

Hey everyone else, all my replies seem to be stacking up at the bottom of the page. I want to take a moment and thank you for your time and thoughts. I'm reading everything and taking copious notes! I'll probably change out the cab at some point but I think I'll get ol' Jolene registered first.

Jon I'm not sure that Jolene is 4wd, but I think it is. And assuming it isn't a California truck and doesn't have the high-altitude calibration there are only 3 calibration parts lists that are for an '84 F150 4wd w/a 300 six: #353; 355; & 364. And all three use the same valve: E43Z 9F491-C or CX-921.

Right, Ralph?

That looks like the one if the calibration is correct.

I've had no luck finding one either...:nabble_smiley_sad:

I do have emissions testing unfortunately. So I feel like it's a risk to leave this unaddressed. Also I'll eventually be trying to register this thing in California and they are notoriously strict on emissions.

As for trading the cab out. I guess I'm going to need to get looking into a donor vehicle... and a place to put it. My truck is a manual transmission, would I have to find a donor truck with that transmission style or would I be able to cut the appropriate holes in the cab floor?

I'm quickly finding that not all cabs are created equal. This is going to take some doing.

Given the emissions testing you are going to have to either find a cab from a very similar truck or swap your wiring over. And I think you'll wind up needing to swap your wiring over.

So I'd get Jolene running well and then decide.

I do have emissions testing unfortunately. So I feel like it's a risk to leave this unaddressed. Also I'll eventually be trying to register this thing in California and they are notoriously strict on emissions.

Just an idea... If you buy an EFI 300 truck you can cut off the roof to patch yours, and swap over the EFI engine so passing smog testing is not a pain. Or you can use "alternative solutions" to pass smog if you have connections with people.

Just an idea... If you buy an EFI 300 truck you can cut off the roof to patch yours, and swap over the EFI engine so passing smog testing is not a pain. Or you can use "alternative solutions" to pass smog if you have connections with people.

tcbaklash and Gary,

I admit I'm a little lost. Gary you mentioned a new cab being of the same generation will help with emissions. I'm not following what your referring to, can you explain.

tcbaklash, curious how different the FI engine is. is it a simple plug-and-play set up where all I have to do is install the engine and trade out some peripherals, or are the other considerations to be aware of? I have considered harvesting the skin from a donor vehicle instead of going all the way with a cab trade out, but my inexperience with welding made me think twice. What's your take on difficulty of welding in a roof skin vice just trading out the cab?

tcbaklash and Gary,

I admit I'm a little lost. Gary you mentioned a new cab being of the same generation will help with emissions. I'm not following what your referring to, can you explain.

tcbaklash, curious how different the FI engine is. is it a simple plug-and-play set up where all I have to do is install the engine and trade out some peripherals, or are the other considerations to be aware of? I have considered harvesting the skin from a donor vehicle instead of going all the way with a cab trade out, but my inexperience with welding made me think twice. What's your take on difficulty of welding in a roof skin vice just trading out the cab?

Let me try to explain whatever it was I meant to say before. The cab itself doesn't play into the emissions. But the wiring does. And if you do as I suggested and swap cab and wiring then you want to find a donor that has the same setup as yours.

Initially I thought the fact that yours is a California truck would complicate things as CA had different systems than the 49-state models. But I just looked and even the 49-state F150's with a 300 six had a computer in '84. And some of the other engines did as well, although not the 351HO, 460, or diesel.

I don't know that I can tell you which cabs & wiring will work without some research. But if you are going to swap cabs and wiring then you'll need to find one with a EEC-III computer system like yours.

As for your question about welding a cab roof on, I'll tell you that I personally would not attempt that. I can weld fairly thick metal and get it to hold, but welding bodies is not on my list. However, I could swap a cab and wiring. But you may be a wonderful welder and hate wiring, so that may be very different for you.

Let me try to explain whatever it was I meant to say before. The cab itself doesn't play into the emissions. But the wiring does. And if you do as I suggested and swap cab and wiring then you want to find a donor that has the same setup as yours.

Initially I thought the fact that yours is a California truck would complicate things as CA had different systems than the 49-state models. But I just looked and even the 49-state F150's with a 300 six had a computer in '84. And some of the other engines did as well, although not the 351HO, 460, or diesel.

I don't know that I can tell you which cabs & wiring will work without some research. But if you are going to swap cabs and wiring then you'll need to find one with a EEC-III computer system like yours.

As for your question about welding a cab roof on, I'll tell you that I personally would not attempt that. I can weld fairly thick metal and get it to hold, but welding bodies is not on my list. However, I could swap a cab and wiring. But you may be a wonderful welder and hate wiring, so that may be very different for you.

Yes, the cab roof is spot welded and then the seams sealed with sealer. You can see the spot welds where the roof of the cab and "A" and "B" pillars meet, and where the lower roof is spot welded to the top with the windshield and rear window removed. The rear window pinch seam where the window seal rides is where part of the lower and upper roof panels are spot welded together. Similar to how the inner bedsides of a styleside is spot welded to the bed floor and the seams sealed with sealer. The whole roof is similarly attached. I've seen these repairs similarly done at a Ford Dealer body shop in the past.

Not a easy job at all. And those new roof repair panels are long obsolete so you would have to remove a good one from a good cab as well. I'd only do it if I had no other choice etc... , but it is an option.

California allows engine swaps as long as it is a same year or newer engine with all the emissions equipment. So that means you have to grab the complete engine, wire harness, ECU, anything that is plumbed to vacuum, EGR system, your exhaust from manifold to catalytic converter (and they have to be CARB compliant cats), and your intake from manifold to air inlet. Then you would have to get with the Bureau of Automotive Repair to get it certified and stickered to be held to the same testing standards as the donor vehicle. It's a process, but you will never fear a smog test and you can check diagnostics before you even go in.

Can't tell you about the difficulty in doing that, I have very limited experience with body work. I'm with Gary in that I'd never attempt it, just thought it could be an option in combination with an EFI swap.

California allows engine swaps as long as it is a same year or newer engine with all the emissions equipment. So that means you have to grab the complete engine, wire harness, ECU, anything that is plumbed to vacuum, EGR system, your exhaust from manifold to catalytic converter (and they have to be CARB compliant cats), and your intake from manifold to air inlet. Then you would have to get with the Bureau of Automotive Repair to get it certified and stickered to be held to the same testing standards as the donor vehicle. It's a process, but you will never fear a smog test and you can check diagnostics before you even go in.

Can't tell you about the difficulty in doing that, I have very limited experience with body work. I'm with Gary in that I'd never attempt it, just thought it could be an option in combination with an EFI swap.

If you are up to the electrical work a swap to a later EFI system with the OBD-II port is the way to go. I did it on Big Blue and now when it throws a code, like it did last week with an odd glitch, I put a scanner on and find out what the problem is. Easy peasy.

But it can be a real ordeal as you have to pull EVERYTHING from the donor vehicle. Or another similar vehicle. And the later trucks put the ECU in the left kick panel, but the Bullnose trucks don't have any room in that area. So I put my ECU where Ford put the ECU in '85 trucks - up under the dash behind the radio. But that requires about 36" more wire than is in the later harness, so I added that much wire to mine.

I love mine as it starts and runs so well, and my offspring can maintain it or have it maintained with ease since the later systems are MUCH more simple. But it wasn't easy.

HOWEVER, if you are changing cabs then you could go to a later cab which has the spot for the ECU in the kick panel and use the original harness. It would be much easier and still work very nicely.

But be aware that the VIN is attached to the cab, so...

If you are up to the electrical work a swap to a later EFI system with the OBD-II port is the way to go. I did it on Big Blue and now when it throws a code, like it did last week with an odd glitch, I put a scanner on and find out what the problem is. Easy peasy.

But it can be a real ordeal as you have to pull EVERYTHING from the donor vehicle. Or another similar vehicle. And the later trucks put the ECU in the left kick panel, but the Bullnose trucks don't have any room in that area. So I put my ECU where Ford put the ECU in '85 trucks - up under the dash behind the radio. But that requires about 36" more wire than is in the later harness, so I added that much wire to mine.

I love mine as it starts and runs so well, and my offspring can maintain it or have it maintained with ease since the later systems are MUCH more simple. But it wasn't easy.

HOWEVER, if you are changing cabs then you could go to a later cab which has the spot for the ECU in the kick panel and use the original harness. It would be much easier and still work very nicely.

But be aware that the VIN is attached to the cab, so...

projects grow