Bullnose Forums

What's the current recommendation on PMGR starters?

I feel badly as I'm the one that said DB. But it looks like there's a problem with that one.

Can you return it? If so I think I'd go to the local parts store and buy a PMGR starter. If it fits and works I'd return the DB and tell them it wouldn't fit.

From talking to a buddy/mentor of mine (whose bought several DB starters for his fleet of John Deere's) they *should* accept a return... but in his case, they kept sending the wrong starter all together.

Ordered a Duralast Reman from Auto Zone. Double the cost of DB (and that's not including the core!), but AZ's are everywhere, a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty, and hopefully I get lucky and the reman was built with a Ford casting. So to get my $40 core (when I pick it up after work), I hastily reassembled the old starter before leaving the house. Yay...

From talking to a buddy/mentor of mine (whose bought several DB starters for his fleet of John Deere's) they *should* accept a return... but in his case, they kept sending the wrong starter all together.

Ordered a Duralast Reman from Auto Zone. Double the cost of DB (and that's not including the core!), but AZ's are everywhere, a lifetime warranty is a lifetime warranty, and hopefully I get lucky and the reman was built with a Ford casting. So to get my $40 core (when I pick it up after work), I hastily reassembled the old starter before leaving the house. Yay...

Good luck! :nabble_crossed-fingers-20-pixel_orig:

this is the specific reason that I use remans. they have already fit once! funny story. I have a few times taken a new starter that was thrown in the bin by the mech who broke it(voiding the warranty) and swapped all required parts onto a used base and carried on. "one mans trash" ya know.

this is the specific reason that I use remans. they have already fit once! funny story. I have a few times taken a new starter that was thrown in the bin by the mech who broke it(voiding the warranty) and swapped all required parts onto a used base and carried on. "one mans trash" ya know.

Well, it fit all right:

IMG_20230209_170521.jpg.228ce72807c6aa8e21655eccb7672451.jpg

Turns over really nice too. Winner!