Bullnose Forums

Marketing guys did not like antennas

My 1984 F150 was a factory radio delete truck. They look shockingly blank in the interior with the radio delete bezels. This was my 2nd 1984 Ford that had no radio. I had a 1984 Ranger many years ago that was also a radio delete truck.

image13.jpeg.c258f899df413e979d76c9505f3e80fb.jpeg

image14.jpeg.a90d06182bf7c2648360eba87df3fae1.jpeg

Radio delete's are one of those things that are much more common on the earlier Bullnoses. They were fairly uncommon by 1985-1986.

A common misconception is that if a truck was delivered with no radio, that all of the wiring and everything was there and all you had to do install a radio. Not true. A radio delete truck also had no speakers, no antenna, and no wiring for the radio or speakers. In fact, the cab and doors were not even drilled for the rubber boot to run the wires to the doors. Oh...and the ground strap that goes from the firewall to the hood, that also was not present on radio delete trucks.

Later on in the 80's, 1987-up, if you bought a truck with no radio they had a little blank cover that fit over the antenna hole. In the Bullnose years, the cowl panels were specific to antenna or non antenna trucks. I'm sure they figured out later on that it was easier to just have one cowl panel for all models and just cap the holes in the radio delete trucks.

Not long after that, radios became standard equipment anyway, even if it was just a basic am unit.

My 1984 F150 was a factory radio delete truck. They look shockingly blank in the interior with the radio delete bezels. This was my 2nd 1984 Ford that had no radio. I had a 1984 Ranger many years ago that was also a radio delete truck.

Radio delete's are one of those things that are much more common on the earlier Bullnoses. They were fairly uncommon by 1985-1986.

A common misconception is that if a truck was delivered with no radio, that all of the wiring and everything was there and all you had to do install a radio. Not true. A radio delete truck also had no speakers, no antenna, and no wiring for the radio or speakers. In fact, the cab and doors were not even drilled for the rubber boot to run the wires to the doors. Oh...and the ground strap that goes from the firewall to the hood, that also was not present on radio delete trucks.

Later on in the 80's, 1987-up, if you bought a truck with no radio they had a little blank cover that fit over the antenna hole. In the Bullnose years, the cowl panels were specific to antenna or non antenna trucks. I'm sure they figured out later on that it was easier to just have one cowl panel for all models and just cap the holes in the radio delete trucks.

Not long after that, radios became standard equipment anyway, even if it was just a basic am unit.

Not only does the radio spot look shockingly blank, but so do the spots where A/C vents would have been. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Not only does the radio spot look shockingly blank, but so do the spots where A/C vents would have been. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Yes sir! Being a 3-on-the-tree truck it was definitely a bare bones stripper. It was optioned up to the 302, and it had oil and alt gauges, but was otherwise option-less! Not sure if the base bones instrument cluster was still available in 1984 or not.

Yes sir! Being a 3-on-the-tree truck it was definitely a bare bones stripper. It was optioned up to the 302, and it had oil and alt gauges, but was otherwise option-less! Not sure if the base bones instrument cluster was still available in 1984 or not.

1986 was the first year where the idiot lights weren't offered. Or maybe I should say where full gauges weren't an option.

Love that truck. Reminds me of the 1973 F-100 my Grandfather had.

It's options were:

Alt/oil gauges

T-18 4-speed

302 V8

411 limited slip rear end.

Nothing else. :)

What looks weirder is a high trim level truck without a radio. The Rosewood bezels without radio option for example.

Another thing you'll notice in the brochures is that the fender emblems are almost never in the same spot on the different trucks. It's REALLY noticeable in the 1980-1981 catalogs.

Interesting, Shaun! I didn't notice it.

What's the deal? They didn't work with a standard template to instal the emblems?

I was sure the fenders came pre-drilled to align the emblems...

:nabble_anim_confused: