Bullnose Forums

Re-wiring 1986 EFI Questions

ReneH

OK Gary, thanks. So 1986 and 1989 are correct. I have compared the right ones.After checking my available number of cable, I will get no Problem with the amount.I will use a shielded cable with three wires for Pins 16, 20, 36 and 56.One of them is the shield as its self.Another cable will used for Power: Pins 1, 40 and 60 (Maybe some other after checking the original harness later)The rest will set to a cable with 25 wires.So I will need three cable glands to get through the firewall.Oe of the cable gland is an EMC-Type which connects the shielding of the cable direcly with the firewall.So, better shielding isn't possible...:nabble_anim_claps:
If the pinouts in that spreadsheet are correct I think you have a problem going from the 1986 5.0L to 1989 5.8L ECU.

What I've done is to take that spreadsheet and create a comparison tab and put the info from those two ECU's side by side. And I deleted the rows where that ECU doesn't use that particular pin.

And what I see is significant change, and changes that would cause serious problems. But I'm not an expert here so I'm going to tag Bill to see what he thinks.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the pinouts in that spreadsheet are correct I think you have a problem going from the 1986 5.0L to 1989 5.8L ECU.

What I've done is to take that spreadsheet and create a comparison tab and put the info from those two ECU's side by side. And I deleted the rows where that ECU doesn't use that particular pin.

And what I see is significant change, and changes that would cause serious problems. But I'm not an expert here so I'm going to tag Bill to see what he thinks.

Gary, I had actually mentioned this to Rene, and offered to send him the original file if he wanted it. The majority of the changes are between 1986 and 1987,That brings up the other question, do you have the correct V8 list on the 1989? I do not recall two O2 sensors until OBDII (1996) unless it was on a 4.9L (300).

Gary, I had actually mentioned this to Rene, and offered to send him the original file if he wanted it. The majority of the changes are between 1986 and 1987,

That brings up the other question, do you have the correct V8 list on the 1989? I do not recall two O2 sensors until OBDII (1996) unless it was on a 4.9L (300).

Bill - The two O2 sensors leapt out to me as possibly meaning we have the wrong pinouts. Do you have another set?

Bill - The two O2 sensors leapt out to me as possibly meaning we have the wrong pinouts. Do you have another set?

Ok...I have to admit, that I'm not 100 percent understand what's the problem...I have a blank connector and can do a re-wiring as it has to be...

The only thing I don't find on the 1989 ECU pin list is the knock-sensor.

Let me look

Pin 8, 276, BR color, FPM (Fuel pump monitor) Changes to 238, DG/Y same function in 1990

That is not the only difference.

I found him a repair EEC connector in Europe so he will be able to wire it accordingly.

Ok...I have done the same...:nabble_anim_handshake:

Ok...I have to admit, that I'm not 100 percent understand what's the problem...I have a blank connector and can do a re-wiring as it has to be...

The only thing I don't find on the 1989 ECU pin list is the knock-sensor.

Rene, there is a list of Ford acronyms on the site, but KS is Knock Sensor, and is pin #23 on 1985-1989 EECs. In 1990-95 it changes to 310 and is a different color.

Rene, there is a list of Ford acronyms on the site, but KS is Knock Sensor, and is pin #23 on 1985-1989 EECs. In 1990-95 it changes to 310 and is a different color.

Ok, Gary. As I use a 1989 ECU of the 351W, the changes in 1990 should no problem for me.

I only haven't found the KS pin in the spreadsheet of the 5.8l in the column 1989...

In this spreadsheet the pin 23 isn't assigned in the column of the 1989, 5.8l.

All other things, that seems to talk about, I have posted before...

20230128_191439.jpg.29f721c79f050cd331d4806b9ca9c5a7.jpg

Ok, Gary. As I use a 1989 ECU of the 351W, the changes in 1990 should no problem for me.

I only haven't found the KS pin in the spreadsheet of the 5.8l in the column 1989...

In this spreadsheet the pin 23 isn't assigned in the column of the 1989, 5.8l.

All other things, that seems to talk about, I have posted before...

Rene - I'm not quite sure where this stands.

I see on the 5.0L tab that in '86 pins 19 & 20 were for the knock sensor. But apparently the 5.8L in '89 didn't use a knock sensor as there's no Circuit 99 nor a listing for a knock sensor.

And, by the way, I've updated the website to show Bill's latest spreadsheet. Plus I've added a link to the Standard Wire & Color Code Chart, which has the circuit #'s, wire colors, and what the circuit is used for.

Bill - Was there an acronym page I was supposed to provide a link to as well?

Rene - I'm not quite sure where this stands.

I see on the 5.0L tab that in '86 pins 19 & 20 were for the knock sensor. But apparently the 5.8L in '89 didn't use a knock sensor as there's no Circuit 99 nor a listing for a knock sensor.

And, by the way, I've updated the website to show Bill's latest spreadsheet. Plus I've added a link to the Standard Wire & Color Code Chart, which has the circuit #'s, wire colors, and what the circuit is used for.

Bill - Was there an acronym page I was supposed to provide a link to as well?

I thought there was one, but apparently not. I will do a separate spreadsheet with them so it can be either attached to the pinouts or linked what ever works best.

Only the 5.0L engines used a knock sensor, no others had one and the 351 EEC will not see the input as it isn't configured for it.