Bullnose Forums

Re-wiring 1986 EFI Questions

ReneH

So, I'm back starting a new topic.

I will do a documentation of the re-wiring process. So maybe this will also help others who have to do the same. In parallel I also have to ask about some unknown things or devices.

I'm starting at the very end of the harness on the passenger side. And also here is my first question...for what are this vacuum relays used?

20230122_095638.jpg.060aa3c55d8083c7883e155978d85ab7.jpg

So, here it is...harness from hell!http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/zipper-23x23_orig.png

20230122_104241.jpg.f591a620151421c4e89afd517f8aa9eb.jpg

I also have found some unknown connectors.

20230122_104649.jpg.ae05380ddd2a28cdec00052118d78713.jpg

This one was inside the car, directly at the ECU connector.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do really think making the new harness is going to solve your problem. From the pic i see, there are many very badly cracked insulation within wire kinks. I have a good feeling about this. Vacuum relay?, do you mean vacuum solenoid? If your truck has those horrible neoprene vacuum lines like mine had, you are going to want to change all of them out immediately. They crack and crumble. they are inside and out. We replaced every single one of them which were bad. If you have them, do yourself a favor and save many many headaches and change them out as well

The solenoids are EGR Vac and Vent and two Thermactor (air pump) controls. The other item in that area is the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure).

Unfortunately I can't enlarge the harness picture, but from what I can see it doesn't look pretty, probably exactly what I said originally.

Small plug on inside near the EEC was probably what Ford called an "inferred mileage sensor" It was used to turn on a "service emissions light" If you are going to rewire it. and are using a newer EEC, I highly suggest using that upper left bulb location for an MIL light (lets you know there is a problem). The EEC 60 pin plug can be disassembled and relocated.

The injectors are Bosch units so you should be able to get connectors for them easily, sensor connectors will probably be more difficult in Europe, it's hard enough here.

The solenoids are EGR Vac and Vent and two Thermactor (air pump) controls. The other item in that area is the MAP sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure).

Unfortunately I can't enlarge the harness picture, but from what I can see it doesn't look pretty, probably exactly what I said originally.

Small plug on inside near the EEC was probably what Ford called an "inferred mileage sensor" It was used to turn on a "service emissions light" If you are going to rewire it. and are using a newer EEC, I highly suggest using that upper left bulb location for an MIL light (lets you know there is a problem). The EEC 60 pin plug can be disassembled and relocated.

The injectors are Bosch units so you should be able to get connectors for them easily, sensor connectors will probably be more difficult in Europe, it's hard enough here.

Ok so I can remove the solenoids.

I haven't installed the whole EGR system.

Ok, sobi will check to install this bulb for signaling.

I will use the 1989 351W ECU. And this brings me to my next question...can I buy new crimp contacts for the ECU connector?

If this is possible, I can do a better re-wiring.

I also have the problem that I won't get out my ECU. I already have removed the bracket near the connector...but it seem that there is another screw or holder on the top for that I have to disassemble the whole dashboard...

Ok, thanks for the information about the sensors connectors...I will search for them.

Injector connectors are already new.

If I won't find the sensors connectors, I will maybe build my own...

I do really think making the new harness is going to solve your problem. From the pic i see, there are many very badly cracked insulation within wire kinks. I have a good feeling about this. Vacuum relay?, do you mean vacuum solenoid? If your truck has those horrible neoprene vacuum lines like mine had, you are going to want to change all of them out immediately. They crack and crumble. they are inside and out. We replaced every single one of them which were bad. If you have them, do yourself a favor and save many many headaches and change them out as well

I already have changed all remaining vacuum lines with high quality silicone lines...only some of the hard plastic ones are still there...

Ok so I can remove the solenoids.

I haven't installed the whole EGR system.

Ok, sobi will check to install this bulb for signaling.

I will use the 1989 351W ECU. And this brings me to my next question...can I buy new crimp contacts for the ECU connector?

If this is possible, I can do a better re-wiring.

I also have the problem that I won't get out my ECU. I already have removed the bracket near the connector...but it seem that there is another screw or holder on the top for that I have to disassemble the whole dashboard...

Ok, thanks for the information about the sensors connectors...I will search for them.

Injector connectors are already new.

If I won't find the sensors connectors, I will maybe build my own...

I believe there is a source for them, let me do some looking. If you are using a 1989 ECU, the EGR control is different, the control valve is a 3 port, with the center one going to the EGR valve, outer port (furthest from the solenoid coil) is vacuum, inner port is vent.

If there were an easy (and inexpensive) way to get them to you, I have lots of the sensor connectors.

Here is a link (Europe) for a connector kit for the ECU: https://picclick.de/Ford%C2%A060-Pin-OEM%C2%A0EEC-IV-Computer-ECM-PCM-Connector-E4LB-14489-266087444785.html?refresh=1

I believe there is a source for them, let me do some looking. If you are using a 1989 ECU, the EGR control is different, the control valve is a 3 port, with the center one going to the EGR valve, outer port (furthest from the solenoid coil) is vacuum, inner port is vent.

If there were an easy (and inexpensive) way to get them to you, I have lots of the sensor connectors.

Here is a link (Europe) for a connector kit for the ECU: https://picclick.de/Ford%C2%A060-Pin-OEM%C2%A0EEC-IV-Computer-ECM-PCM-Connector-E4LB-14489-266087444785.html?refresh=1

Hey Bill. Thanks for the link of the ECU connector! So I can directly set my cable to the connector without additional linking of every wire.

About the EGR: I have removed all components. So I also can remove this solenoids completely.

20230122_095638.jpg.300c38f9102162a07aa463b27d5a0234.jpg

Are there any other differences regarding the pinning of 1986 and 1989 ECU?

The pinout schematic here on this site is the one for the 1986, as far as I know...

About the sensor connectors...ok. thanks for this. I will check what prices I get for shipping and come back to you.

Hey Bill. Thanks for the link of the ECU connector! So I can directly set my cable to the connector without additional linking of every wire.

About the EGR: I have removed all components. So I also can remove this solenoids completely.

Are there any other differences regarding the pinning of 1986 and 1989 ECU?

The pinout schematic here on this site is the one for the 1986, as far as I know...

About the sensor connectors...ok. thanks for this. I will check what prices I get for shipping and come back to you.

Rene, here is where the pinouts for all Ford EEC-III, EEC-IV and EEC-V for our trucks (EEC-V is on there as Gary and I both have 460 (7.5L) engines converted from carbureted the MAF/SEFI (mass air flow/sequential electronic fuel injection): https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/electronic-engine-control-eec.html

Go there, then on the pinouts tab (link should take you to Electronic Engine Control) the pinouts are an Excel spreadsheet, but if you want a copy you can print out, email me and I will send you the file. You need to look at the bottom tabs to be sure you are on EEC-IV. This will give you the original pinouts from your 1986 and the ones for the 1989. BTW, EEV-V uses a 104 pin connector vs the 60 pin of the EEV-IV.