Bullnose Forums

Towing with a 4.9L

IowaTom

I had a friend latch my trailer up to Big Blue while I did something else to get ready. Got to the corner and it came off, but luckily was held by the safety chains. Yep, it had been sitting on top of the ball. Never, ever again. It is my job to connect up or at least check everything.

These are good learning experiences, no matter how many times you’ve towed.

When I got my new trailer yesterday, they went through everything with me. They demonstrated that the coupler was attached by lifting the truck up with the trailer jack.

I thought that was a good idea for future hook ups.

These are good learning experiences, no matter how many times you’ve towed.

When I got my new trailer yesterday, they went through everything with me. They demonstrated that the coupler was attached by lifting the truck up with the trailer jack.

I thought that was a good idea for future hook ups.

I always did that with small trailers but as I get older, and trailers get heavier I'm not certain that I would lift it off the ball anyway.

AAE85460-C00C-43E4-BEBE-89B1E103ADC4.jpeg.f7c0e6a9695949ea420ec11109da7550.jpeg

C245E6DA-C1E5-40C3-8202-034C53C13EB4.jpeg.781cd245eeba6385744577ce784e7a90.jpeg

The 300 six engine and the F150 truck are both capable enough. The main considerations I would look at are the state of maintenance of your truck and the route you will have to drive.

Both pictures above show tow loads that I have moved, including 6% grades. Both have trailer brakes. The camper I actually drove up, then down a long 8% on the west side of Death Valley and I don’t think I would do that again without upgrading the trailer brakes in the 1960 streamline.

My truck had thorough maintenance and my routes were rural and/or highways with plenty of opportunity for traffic to go around me. Towing like this is slow on any kind of incline. It’s never Willie makeit, it’s just when.

I don’t really want to kick the proverbial ant hill of discussing weight rating and street legality. My tow combinations shown above are pushing 9,500 lb gross. I am familiar with my equipment and I drive very carefully. I wouldn’t drive that heavy just anywhere, and I would not drive the full speed limit in a lot of places even if the engine would do it. The GVWR numbers on the chart cannot guarantee that any given load is “safe” any more than it guarantees what I did with my truck was “unsafe”.

The 300 six engine and the F150 truck are both capable enough. The main considerations I would look at are the state of maintenance of your truck and the route you will have to drive.

Both pictures above show tow loads that I have moved, including 6% grades. Both have trailer brakes. The camper I actually drove up, then down a long 8% on the west side of Death Valley and I don’t think I would do that again without upgrading the trailer brakes in the 1960 streamline.

My truck had thorough maintenance and my routes were rural and/or highways with plenty of opportunity for traffic to go around me. Towing like this is slow on any kind of incline. It’s never Willie makeit, it’s just when.

I don’t really want to kick the proverbial ant hill of discussing weight rating and street legality. My tow combinations shown above are pushing 9,500 lb gross. I am familiar with my equipment and I drive very carefully. I wouldn’t drive that heavy just anywhere, and I would not drive the full speed limit in a lot of places even if the engine would do it. The GVWR numbers on the chart cannot guarantee that any given load is “safe” any more than it guarantees what I did with my truck was “unsafe”.

love the streamliner. my brother actually has one now.as it was originally. I think the kids call it "vintage" Haha.