Bullnose Forums

Wiring questions with upgrades 81 f150

Just installed a pgmr starter and a 3g alternator and could use some clarification on some things pertaining to the ignition connection pictured. Is the junction circled in green necessary? I assume the alternator takes over the ignition once it's on. If it is, do I need any kind of diode to prevent any back feed? Is that junction The ignition switch connector? Do I also still need to utilize the I terminal on the relay?? I have so many questions :nabble_anim_crazy:

The haynes manual takes into account the stock wiring so I can only go so far with that.

There are so many different ways to go about this I've had a hard time finding one source that has done both pgmr and 3g upgrade. I've kind of had to work through what makes the most sense in terms of wiring and electricity flow.

Would probably help to add the photo I'm talking about.

I don't know how to answer the question because I don't know what you've done.

Maybe we can take this one step at a time. Have you read the PMGR wiring page linked to above? Did you wire it the way shown? If so, nothing changes relative to the ignition on the starter re-wire.

On the 3G you'll see that there is a LG/R wire, NOT a R/G wire, that goes to the "I" terminal on the alternator. That wire is necessary for the alternator to be bootstrapped in, and w/o it the alternator will not work.

I don't know how to answer the question because I don't know what you've done.

Maybe we can take this one step at a time. Have you read the PMGR wiring page linked to above? Did you wire it the way shown? If so, nothing changes relative to the ignition on the starter re-wire.

On the 3G you'll see that there is a LG/R wire, NOT a R/G wire, that goes to the "I" terminal on the alternator. That wire is necessary for the alternator to be bootstrapped in, and w/o it the alternator will not work.

I have wired the pgmr and the alternator is connected to that ignition wire. Does the "I" terminal on the relay stay empty?

If there wasn't anything on the I terminal on the starter relay then there shouldn't be anything on it after the wiring changes.

One other question for the alternator. I've seen the a terminal connects to the b+ post, so the yellow wire is connected back to the alternator. I've also seen where that yellow wire goes directly to the a post on the relay. Any reason behind that?

One other question for the alternator. I've seen the a terminal connects to the b+ post, so the yellow wire is connected back to the alternator. I've also seen where that yellow wire goes directly to the a post on the relay. Any reason behind that?

It is easier to go back to the always-hot post of the starter relay than to the battery since the stud on the starter relay is long. And since the battery cable to the starter relay is much larger than the charge cable from the alternator, the two spots are electrically the same. So I always connect to the starter relay.

It is easier to go back to the always-hot post of the starter relay than to the battery since the stud on the starter relay is long. And since the battery cable to the starter relay is much larger than the charge cable from the alternator, the two spots are electrically the same. So I always connect to the starter relay.

Screenshot_20230118-143702.thumb.png.400e786c38f0d7c895d690592132aa15.pngScreenshot_20230118-143716.thumb.png.49138f9bd6ec24870ffa837500b94ca4.png

Do these two behave any differently?

Do these two behave any differently?

Here's a screen grab from our directions from the link given above:

3G_A_Terminal_Wiring.thumb.jpg.c3d26ee97bcb862f9af7ff1d660f3c52.jpg

Your first diagram puts the Y/W wire back to the alternator, which is correct. But your second one puts that wire to the starter relay side of the fuse, which is a bad idea. The reason for that is because if you blow that fuse then the alternator isn't seeing its own output and the voltage can go very high, potentially hurting the alternator.

So, why aren't you using our page on the 3G wiring?