Bullnose Forum

mat in tn

Regular Members
  • Last visited

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

mat in tn's Achievements

Grand Master

Grand Master (14/14)

• Dedicated Rare
  • First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Conversation Starter

Recent Badges

1. and you dont get many expensive cars parking close either
  2. the term "severe duty" is specific and I'm not sure that I know much about that. I generally look for" heavy duty cooling " often listed for factory air cond. and tow package's. often its air flow or lack of it but don't overlook the radiator itself. the thermostat being open does little if the coolant entering the engine has not been cooled and the water pump is merely a circulation pump, no positive displacement. so, a restricted radiator can nearly stop coolant flow as well as a closed t-stat can. open the drain plug with a hose on the nipple and catch whatever comes out first. that can be a great sample of what is settled in the lower passages and the lower part of the intake tank.
  3. i build trucks to be strait and shiny and fun to drive and I end up driving the junk. it is absolutely senseless! I love doing this and love showing the finished product but then hop in a rusty old truck. but i try to only have one frame off going at any one time. I try! I have been known to have two.
  4. I've been busy trying to get this cab ready for color before I lose my great weather. got a couple lights hung, got the building layered inside with house wrap to give a bit of a clean space. got an exhaust fan mounted. with a larger one in reserve if needed. getting the air supply assembled slowly. along with taking time to work on the cab itself in the warmer part of the day. a few cool days this week so I'm taking this as an early warning to get on with it. I will do doors, fenders and hood as weather allows but if I can get the cab on the frame then it at least opens up a tremendous amount of garage work that I can be doing on the cold days between working on other trucks. I'm taking a couple pictures as I go and will post as I am able.
  5. I've been shaping the cab for the 83 f100 "lefty", i got the seam sealer done today and ran the vacuum all overe the cap and then the floor. tommorow i will be able to wipe down with pre -prep and then mask. hoping to be able to spray the epoxy in the next day or two.
  6. great idea as it's always good to have a second opinion. however, if it is only warming up at stops then its most likely due to reduced air flow across the radiator whether because of a poor fan operation or fan shroud.
  7. welcome. there is nothing wrong with an old rescue. my ranger f250 camper special is a rescue. I'm NOT changing the exterior! not even the bullet-hole in the hood. haha. I am going to repair the rusted floor pan though.
  8. most of the 235/75/15 tire that I have dealt with run 28.75"-28.9" in diameter. however, I would not be surprised to find a smaller tire listed on the door tag. looking into what final gear ratio is in the rear axle might help a bit also.
  9. I was living in old hickory for over 20 years but in the Nashville area since the late 70s. I'm now in Lexington NC just south of Winston Salem. no. G M is/was a musician friend of over 40 years and I lost contact but last I knew he and his wife lived in Springfield. small town. you never know who knows who. I build a lot of aod transmissions for trucks and resto-mod cars for the same reason that you mention. I bought a core just this afternoon. often, I modify them for the specific purpose. shift kits and so on. I've done this on three of the trucks that I currently drive and many before and a few c6/aod swaps as well. the right drivetrain can really wake up a vehicle.
  10. welcome. I'm doing a frame off of a very similar truck. although I'm converting it to a factory a/c. also I've done a 5.0/aod swap. just got home last night from Nashville. we did the Tennessee craft art festival at centennial park. perfect weekend. it's been a few years since I was in Springfield, but I've been there many times. any chance you know George Montana? haha.
  11. "if" we were talking about oil supply alone I might agree as long as oil pressure is withing spec. but my experience has been that the bearings wear far more than pumps. adding a high-volume pump will help but it cannot compensate for excessive tolerance. i just pulled apart a 4.9 last week and dropped the block, head and crank off at the machine shop. two things on that specific unit were the worn-out bearings, well into copper, grooved crank and the resultant damage due to loss of oil pressure, galled pistons. I really like the 4.9 and they have a well earned good reputation but neglect can ruin any.
  12. gary i used the acculink as it was the cleanest . the holley is interesting especially for the price.
  13. i like the trans temp gauge but my first thought was vacuum.
  14. compushift! having used both I say compushift hands down. their wiring is plug and play and worked flawlessly. mounting the module discretely under the dash was nice and still visible by looking up. I mounted mine similar to where ford put the cruise control amplifier. past that the smart phone app worked great. and with my technical prowess that says a lot. adding the od cancel button was simple enough. in my case I had to use their add on tps since I was using a Holley 3310 of course. the one time that I called them for tech support they were excellent. that's my 2c