Community Regular

Community Regular (8/14)

• First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done
  • One Month Later

Recent Badges

1. Howdy everyone! Considering another build project. Potentially another Bullnose. Curious if anyone on the site has done a 2x4 to 4x4 swap and shared it here on the site somewhere? I'd love to see some pictures and process if it's out there. Found a few YouTube videos out there but I am a big advocate of gathering all the intel you can before you leap. I have a few "decent" trucks in the area (mostly all 2wd). I am not opposed of snagging one as far south as NC to try and beat the rust clock. But I most definitely want to have a 4X4 capable truck once she hits the road. Good luck out there peeling those onions and be safe wrenching. And thanks for taking the time to share your journeys on the site!!
  2. Thanks Jim & Gary. I'll be the first to admit, I am NOT the greatest at reading wiring diagrams but this is very good intel. I have read over all this before but I am going to go back through it again. That switch diagram on the larger wiring digram I could never really figure out but that diagnostic chart in the EVTM is finally giving me some clarity on how that is supposed to function. I put a brand new NSS when I rebuilt everything and it had no real problems with starting or anything but admittedly it would start in other positions than park, so I could tell something wasn't quite right. I will go back through it as well tonight. Jim, I will attempt that jumper trick and see if that helps. I tested my switch against the new one at Advance and although it was not a proper test, what I did try to test gave me the same results with both switches. Also, on another note, the aftermarket switch did not seem to have any spring tension in the forward most (start) position like my original. Not sure if that is a good or bad thing. I didn't buy the new one but they said they will keep it in inventory if I need it later. Gary, I think I figured out the Youtube piece. Thanks for the guidance. It has been too long since I put one in! 🙃 I know the video was not great but I needed another hand to get a better angle (and didn't have one). Thanks very much for the timely replies. I have to strike while the iron is hot with this because I have a little more of a window tonight but who knows when I'll be able to come back to it ðŸĪŠ Onward!
  3. Well I tore down into the column a litter further yesterday to try and determine if that tilt column issue was it. (Thanks for the tip Gary!) I had searched the site pretty good (or so I thought) but really appreciate the direction for more research. So the process when a little like this: Nothing seems too out of place or broken yet, but I know that piece in question is buried down in the column. So, from what I understand, it doesn't allow this linkage to operate the ignition switch properly. I turn the key here and everything looks to be working properly: So, I pull the switch and try to meter out the starting circuit. (Which from my very uneducated case is the top row tab closest to the firewall. Since I had no continuity on this tab once I cycled the switch into what I think is the "start" position, I headed to Advance Auto to test one as a comparison. They did not have one there for me to test but I should have one by this afternoon. I plan to compare the operation of the two before I buy the switch. But, all things considered, I am thinking it is not in the column. Is that correct? I will tear into it further later tonight but hoping the switch does the trick!!! Since I hit a bit of a stop last night in my trouble shooting I decided to go ahead and re-plumb the heater core in a much simpler way than originally planned. I am really itching to get this thing on the road for the rest of winter and will work on finer details once the weather breaks. The wife is getting tired of her car setting outside with all this snow and the Bronco tucked inside the nice heated garage and we can't drive it! http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif
  4. ugh... Yes, I have a tilt wheel. I am almost afraid to ask 😉
  5. Well I am amazed at how many things jump in front of my intentions of working on Ferdinand... Will be revisiting all the good advice shortly. I did get the heater core installed and am ready to re-plumb the heater core hoses as recommended. I have run into another snag... Anyone have any suggestions on how to tell whether or not an "no start" problem is either in the key switch or in the ignition harness under the dash? I have the column torn down a bit and was thinking it was my key switch but before I go any further down this rabbit hole (I had to do this with my '82 F150 when it was stolen and the column and key switch was destroyed) as I remember it being full of tricky pieces, I wanted to pic the very-able brains of our brotherhood and see if anyone had any advice on trouble shooting the wiring and connectors under the dash. After metering out battery voltage when I turn the key from the run to start position my start wire (Red and Light Blue) that goes on the S terminal on the fender mounted solenoid only reads about .7 volts. Isn't that supposed to be 12 volts to pull the contact in? I am curious because when I jump 12 volts to that post (directly from the battery) the engine will crank just fine. Any help is ALWAYS appreciated!!! (Even if it takes me a month or better to get to it!) ...And Gary, I am thoroughly enjoying "creeping" on Big Blue's Transformation!!
  6. Dean, I've been there brother. I can smell it from here... I will be tagging along to see how you work through yours. I am sure I will learn a thing or two. Mine only took one fire extinguisher but I knocked down the cop as I was grabbing for it out of his trunk... -That's a story for another time 🙃 Glad it wasn't a total loss. Hang in there.
  7. Andre, this is one incredibly good looking Bronco!!! WELL DONE!!
  8. Excellent info and suggestions Jim. I wasn't sure if tee-ing into both hoses and valving off the one side would allow for good flow back to the engine. Those T-port 3-way valves impressed me and I thought they would give me any configuration of flow I needed (even though a few flow routes would be completely useless in this application. The two tees and one valve would be way less bulky for sure! ðŸĪ” Thanks for the alternative! I will dig out my old alternator and take a look at what it takes to get that thing off. (The PO had just put it on before I bought it in Dec. 2017. I'll have to go and re-read the 3G info from the upgrades pages again as well.
  9. Jim, that LRC alternator you link to in your comment about it, can you order one with the double V-groove fully, or do I have to swap the one from my old alternator? Thank you sir.
  10. This is another "a-typical" solution, but if you have a bin of Sharkbite brand PEX crimp fittings, they come in handy as an alternative to barbed fittings for the heater core hoses. (These are 3/4" brass) I am curious to see how they work. I am considering closing the gap between the valves with a close nipple, or using a street 90, to enable me to use the valve handles at full length (pic below). Anyone is welcome to weigh in on their thoughts or opinions. Even if you don't like it and think its a terrible idea, I am a big boy and can take the criticism. I learned a long time ago truth comes in many forms 😉
  11. John, I am humbled you took time to read of my shenanigans. You are very kind. I am all self-taught and that leads to many re-do's along the way. I am anxious to read about your rig as well. Between getting versed in Big Blue's journey and now yours, I know what I'll be spending my late night hours on until the end of the year!
  12. HANDS DOWN, one of the greatest strengths of this site is God-fearing people. Thank you gentlemen. One of my favorites in the same scope: Luke 21:19 "In your patience possess ye your souls."
  13. -And I would LOVE not to have to mess with a tender. I don't mind one so much on my bike, but Ferdinand has to set outside all year long at a place I have no real power other than stretching a cord, and I am not a big fan of leaving a cord in the yard all that time.
  14. HOLEEEEE MOLY! 188 Pages Gary! I am going to need some serious late night devotion to get through all of this! (But I am really looking forward to it!) And, man! I love Big Blue all the way around. You and I have very similar interests. (I just threw a rope winch in my wishlist on AMZ 3 days ago 😉) I just lack the know-how on a lot of it. But hey, that's what this site is all about! Time to go get some work done. Have a great day gentlemen!