Proficient

Proficient (10/14)

• First Post
  • Collaborator
  • Posting Machine Rare
  • Conversation Starter
  • Week One Done

Recent Badges

1. I don't think it was fixed already. It looks like Ford subcontracted out this part to the lowest bidder. It was a cheap casting job with pot metal. After it came out of the mold it looks like someone takes a few seconds to grind down the rough spots and flashing and tosses it in a bin.
  2. Thanks Randy, I am thinking to leave it on thick to add some structural integrity. But I may need to smooth it out a little to prevent interference. I can use my rotary tool.
  3. Thanks for your feedback Dane, I will get JB Weld. I will leave it thick enough to help reinforce it.
  4. The last time I used JB Weld was around 1996. Is it easy to sand and will help hold it together? I noticed they have a stick version also now. I am not sure what the difference is.
  5. Hey Randy, I am not sure of the source of the crack. I did research brazing and found this one pictured but some reviews say it does not add any structural integrity and is mostly for esthetic proposes. It is also very expensive for what it is. I was thinking about maybe some JB Weld or similar product also and just sanding and painting to seal it all up.
  6. Well this stinks. The expense part from eBay is a good match but has a crack on the inside that didn't make it to the outside yet. This metal seems like some kind of cast pot metal. What is the likelihood of it cracking to the outside and chipping off? Is there a way to reinforce it? The eBay post says no returns.
  7. Sounds like you have a great setup. Congratulations on the new property with room to work. I am in NC too. Maybe we can trade some parts some time if you need something.
  8. What do you mean by stocking more? Do you have items for sale or only your personal collection?
  9. I think I will rebuild the non tilt column that came with my truck as a back up plan. It will be ready to go. Maybe I can use it as some garage decoration.
  10. You are correct. I was considering the tilt column as an upgrade. It may come in handy depending on my seated position. Since I have never drove the truck yet I can't really tell.
  11. Yes, that one part cost far more then the column I purchased at the salvage yard. I am glad to hear you rebuilt the column so maybe you can help answer some questions. Is the upper and lower bearing the same that is inside the column? The parts diagram uses the same number but LMC has two different parts and one bearing is backordered for over 10 weeks. The plastic bearing holder that is cracked I ordered the metal version on LMC. Hopefully it fits correctly. It is also the only way to get that bearing is to order that upgrade part since they don't offer the bearing separately.
  12. Thank you for all your efforts in gathering this information and helping us. Many future generations will benefit from this.
  13. You are really bringing back some memories when you mention microfiche. I haven't used that for years. When I was a kid I thought it was the coolest thing to look up information in the library on microfiche. Thanks for cross referencing the part for me Gary. I feel more confident to order it now. Hopefully the salvage yard may have one in good condition also.
  14. Thank you for your help Gary. That is the part I need. Do you think this one on eBay will work? The part number is the E0TZ. Is this a common failure point where it cracked? Is it worth to spend extra for a new one while I can? If I find one at the salvage yard not cracked is it likely to crack in the same spot?
  15. I should mention that the steering column I am trying to find a bowl for came out of a 1986 F-150.