classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

starter grinding

longsix
hey guys,
is it possible to get the flex plate on backwards?
after pulling the starter i noticed where the edge of the starter has been chewed up.
i apologize ahead of time for this is not my bullnose , but my brothers other kind of truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: starter grinding

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Other kind?  You mean the sissy type that wears a bow tie?  

Anyway, I think you could get a Ford flexplate on backwards, but I don't know about others.  And I'm basing my thinking on the M-block crank I made a spacer for.  It has an even bolt spacing for all but one pair of bolts, so it seems to me like you could turn it around and still get it on.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by longsix
I've never found any brand of crankshaft whose pattern allowed a flywheel or flexplate to be installed 2 ways (including reversed).
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by longsix
If it is a GM built engine, Chevy in particular, they use shims between the starter and block to adjust the gear mesh clearance. If it is a older Ford truck with an FE engine there are different flex plates and flywheels. Early FE engines (and Y-blocks) used what was called a folo-thru starter, a Bendix (inertia) drive that engaged from the back side so the ring gear (flex plate or flywheel) had teeth with a rear bevel rather than a front bevel.

The other issue on Ford starters is automatic vs. manual, the ring gear depth in the bell housing is different, and if I remember the spacing correctly, a manual transmission starter will get the nose chewed up if used on an automatic transmission application.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
... and a *Ford* automatic starter will not disengage from a flywheel, destroying it almost instantly on the overrun.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steam Power
How do you tell an automatic starter from a manual starter?  I just bought a starter from O'Reilly's and heard something rubbing when I started the truck after installing it.
1985 F-150 4x4
standard cab, long bed, 300i6, manual 3 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The only difference I know is in how far the Bendix gear sets (and extends) from the mounting face. (3/4 vs 3/8" stick-out)
I'm not even sure if the "nosecone" is taller on a 300/302/351 style starter.

Maybe someone who has a Windsor style bellhousing could better answer this question.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Steam Power
Turns out the guy at O'Reilly's didn't ask if I had a manual or automatic.  When I took the starter back they looked up the number, and sure enough they gave me an automatic starter.  Have to wait for a manual starter to arrive tomorrow, but at least they were good about taking the automatic one back even after I had installed it.  They just took it in as a warranty return.

1985 F-150 4x4
standard cab, long bed, 300i6, manual 3 speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad you got it sorted.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steam Power
I'm glad you figured it out with the parts store.  

Usually I get annoyed with all the questions, but in this case it was the question they didn't ask that was most important.

Wow, it's amazing that they don't stock a manual starter for a Windsor.  
I know I'm getting old (as are these trucks)
 Jim,