new wheels coming. full lock clearance question

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: new wheels coming. full lock clearance question

old55pete
Ackerman is another seldom used term in the real world, how ever in dirt track racing it is something that you need to understand when building a chassie.

We always get polked fun at because we go to the end of the track and turn left, and repeat until 20 laps is done. What folks don't understand is that when you are turning left is that you have four tires turning at four different rates/ speeds. To keep the front end from pushing you need to have a steeper turn angle on the left front because it is turning in a shorter circle then the right front. The Ackerman angle can be increased by changing the normal toe in to toe out.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I never thought about how a simple toe adjustment affects Ackerman.

Always felt it had more to do with how close or far behind the axle centerline the rack or linkage was, but I see how toe works.

I guess on the track you're always scrubbing anyhow and tire wear is part of the game
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

old55pete
Then add in the fact that you normaly run three different size tires, say  two 235 60 14 on the right side, a 225 60 14 on the left rear and a 215 60 14 on the left front, Stager. You zero the caster and camber on the right front to decrease the steering axis inclination so the right front has a flatter stance when turning and toe it out to change the Ackerman angle to give the left front more bite, also you put a rim with a four inch offset to pull the tire in closer to the car. The left front will always have less bite because most of the weight transfures to the right rear.

Sorry guys, I dident mean to hijack your thread. I will shut up now.
Steve
86 Bronco, XLT, 5.0 EFI, EEC IV, AOD, IFS, limited slip front and rear, 3.08 gears, Tilt steering, factory AC