need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem

Bo Frodo

History: Truck has been sitting for around 10 yrs. I took on the project.
The patient: 1986 F150 short bed, 302 EFI auto trans, base model. VIN 1FTCF15N4GKA06002

As you can see from the fuel tank pic, I have major clog problems. So far I replaced with new: fuel tank (mid-ship),roll over vent valve, sending unit with low pressure fuel pump, fuel filter on frame rail, high pressure fuel pump, injectors, and inj. connectors.

Results so far: Fuel at schrader valve squirts fuel, engine turns over and fires, but will not catch and run.
I really love this body style and power pkg. I am retired and just looking for a dependable drive. I am a novice never done anything more than change oil or tire. Hats off to YOUTUBE, but I am at a crossroads and don't know to try or do net.

Any helpful suggestions???
Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Try removing the spout to lock the timing and take the computer out of the equation.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem

Bo Frodo

Okay, that’s a start for me, I’ll look for what a spout is and where it’s at.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2020 1:01 PM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem

Try removing the spout to lock the timing and take the computer out of the equation.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with an Edelbrock 1826 and Performer intake.

If you reply to this email, your message will be added to the discussion below:

http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/need-to-know-1986-F150-atart-and-run-problem-tp52063p52065.html

To unsubscribe from need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem, click here.
NAML

Patient: '86 reg.cab, short bed, 302 V8, EFI, auto trans, sitting out for 10 yrs., not abused just neglected, fires with strtr fld but won't run (yet)
Reply | Threaded
|

RE: need to know, 1986 F150 atart and run problem

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
The Spark OUT plug is somewhere between the distributor and the computer module.
It is just a little jumper plug.

I'm used to it being red and within a hands breadth of the distributor, but I know that early EFI engines had different locations.

At least you can be assured that it uses a Push Start module and will run off the signal from the PIP in the distributor.
Later engines used Computer Controlled Dwell and they're not as simple to troubleshoot.

Speaking of troubleshooting, you really should do to the documentation and review the EVTM for your 5.0 EFI.
It has all the steps to figure this out.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.