looking for used parts

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

looking for used parts

Jcris
There are a few swap meets in my area (northern California) that may prove helpful but they don't happen till summer mostly. I'd really like to have this truck more sorted by then. We are just looking to get it on the road to begin figuring out what else will be needed to make it reliable.  Then we can address those as they come along. The motor and trans run and seem OK but running them consistently, getting them up to temp and really starting to use them is where I think any additional needs will begin to show. I'm looking for new bed rails, the ones that hold the wood in place and both the front and rear sills. Any suggestions on where to get these things would be greatly appreciated. When the sills are removed I'll be able to MAYBE come up with a plan to fabricate them. Budget is an issue so a used part in decent shape would be fine. I realize a used part in usable condition is most likely non existent but I have to try. We are not returning this truck to a pristine condition. It will only be used occasionally and is more a sentimental tie for my brother-in-law. Any guidance would  be much appreciated.
Jcris
1986 F150 4x4, with transplanted 1991 302 with automatic trans
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: looking for used parts

Rembrant
Jcris wrote
I'm looking for new bed rails, the ones that hold the wood in place and both the front and rear sills. Any suggestions on where to get these things would be greatly appreciated. When the sills are removed I'll be able to MAYBE come up with a plan to fabricate them. Budget is an issue so a used part in decent shape would be fine.
Check out Mar-K for wood floored bed stuff.

https://www.mar-k.com/

There are other options, but I've noticed a few of the other companies that sell wood bed repair parts are making their own wood, and are just re-selling Mar-K stuff, like the strips. Their free catalogs are quite nice...I have one in my stack of NPD, LMC, and JEG's, Summit magazines for bedtime reading;).

I haven't looked into the bed repair stuff too deeply yet as that is (I hope) to be next winter's project. My bed is going to need a lot of work, so I've studied the rebuild on paper...but haven't physically touched it yet. My original plywood floor is actually in good condition for it's age, but the metal strip/flange on the inside of my bed sides is bad, as is my front panel.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jcris
Except for the fenders, bed sides, and steps, almost everything is available new. Not inexpensive, but available. The bed straps, hinges and hardware are also made in stainless. There are several sources, national parts depot is one:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/catalog/Ford_Truck_Body_Panels_1980_87_Flareside_Bed-60583-5.html
SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

Jcris
Thanks for the links guy's.
Much appreciated!
Jcris
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
All I can say is sit down when checking the prices on the flare side bed parts.

I needed all the bed cross members (I priced out to about $1000) just as a start. Add the front panel, tail gate, ply wood, metal strips and all the hard wear.

My fix use the metal floor from a style side bed.

No it is not an easy job but should last a long time!
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Jcris
Yeah I'm quickly beginning to see the need to be creative to repair this bed. I like the idea of the metal bed but my brother-in-law seems reluctant. At this point I'm trying to get him to do more while I'm not around. We really need to get the old bed apart further to figure out a plan.
Thanks for the pic's.
Jcris
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Ford F834
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jcris
Just so you know, I have a flareside bed that is completely disassembled. If you need any pictures or measurements of the parts I am more than willing to do that. It can sometimes take me a few days since the bed is at my folks' place and I work 12 hour night shifts, but if you need anything like that let me know. As fuzzface pointed out the cost can be very sobering and not really necessary if you are not going for a 100% accurate restoration. These pics of the underside of a flareside bed might also be useful:

SHORT BED 4-DOOR DIESEL: 1986 F350 4x4 under construction-- 7.3 IDIT ZF5+GVOD

STRAIGHT SIX 4X4: 1981 F150 2wd to 4x4-- 300 I6 close ratio diesel T19, hydroboost brakes, Saginaw steering

BIG F: 1995 F-Superduty under construction— converting to 6.9L IDI diesel ZF5+DNE2
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Excellent, Jonathan, as always!
Reply | Threaded
|

Jcris
In reply to this post by Ford F834
Hey thanks guy's,
The Ebay part looks good but were trying to just re-use what we have.
That flare side bed really looks to be in great condition. Those pic's are very helpful. At least it gives me a birds eye view of what I'm up against. From those pic's I'm convinced the bed needs to come off entirely and thoroughly inspected. We are not going for a 100% original resto. Were just trying to get it back to reliable. Not all that concerned about how it looks, as bad as that may sound. These things can change as we go along but for now the goal is get er runnin.
Thanks guys,
Jcris
Reply | Threaded
|

reamer
For the bed floor, all you need is 2 sheets of Marine grade plywood, that's what I did. the bed was mad in 3 sections, center section and two smaller sides. 2 of the five metal floor strips hide the seam, the other 3 are for looks and "floating cargo above the wood.
I also make the diamond plate bed rail and tailgate protectors.

Bed showing the three sections

Diamond plate

1986 F-150 Flareside 4x4, 351, 4-v, ZF5 speed. AC, Cruise, Tilt, Slider, Digital clock, Radio, Lariat seat, Pwr doors/locks