fuel rail

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

fuel rail

smitty67
So I pulled the OE fuel rail off the '86 and looked inside where the injectors go and found a major amount of rust. When I turned it small black particles poured out....I am trying to decide on which aftermarket rail to order. Any ideas or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: fuel rail

mat in tn
i would strongly reccomend trying to find a clean oem rail.
Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
Are there no aftermarket fuel rails made for this year model engine? I spent a half a day yesterday looking on the net for one!!!
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
not really a high performance platform for aftermarket companies to invest in
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
How different is this truck fuel rail from a 5.0 Mustang?
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the connections are different and the regulator is in a different position
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
It was just a thought given how difficult it is to find used parts in decent condition for trucks more than 35 years old.

I don't know if it's feasible to change connections on the truck side and have a car rail fit a truck intake but at least the foxbody's are popular enough that they still have good parts support.  

Call me stupid or crazy (or both)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
not exactly crazy or stupid. it is all a very sensible expectation. we did a similar conversion on my sons truck. not without its quirks! we did an "explorer swap". we took the gt40p heads and intake from a 99 5.0 explore and completed the 5.0 build in his 92 f150.
the quirks are at least these which i am doing from memory.
the intake has a single throttle body versus the twin, and it goes to the passenger side.
the sensors end up needing to be relocated
the upper intake sits lower for low hood clearance, so it all gets tighter.
the valve covers need to be swapped for the oil fill to clear the upper and that puts it by the ac box
the pcv is now in the lower intake so the valve cover needs a plug
 the coil must be relocated due to the intake being in that location
an entire fresh air system must be adapted
 not certain on the "must" but we used the explorer fuel injectors and that required changing all injector plugs on the engine harness.
and oddly enough the one thing that we did keep is the fuel injector rail because it fit the fuel lines and kept the regulator.
all of this to get to how it ran. awesome! for a while then repeatedly tried to recalculate as if there was a ghost in the machine.in searching high and low for said ghost he has since broken the upper intake while replacing the fuel injectors. burned up his starter trying to get it timed correctly and i am scheduling time to go retreive this vehicle to put it all back to factory. hopefully a lesson learned. hotrodding aint for sissies! you must be willing to bust a few knuckles now and then. and it aint cheap! this is very comparable to using mustang parts on a f series.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Thanks.
Things certainly changed by the time those higher compression Exploders came around.

I was aware the FPR was on the other side of Mustang fuel rails but I guess I didn't really pay too much attention to the differences 35 years ago.
I was just happy with the last year carburetor in my truck because it was so similar to my '85 GT
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
In reply to this post by mat in tn
Yessir there are definitely plenty of issues when trying to bring an'86 into 2022 for sure but this truck has a lot of sentimental value since i bought it brand new. I have an aftermarket fuel rail and have ordered connections and fuel hose to Frankenstein a fuel delivery system together. Wish me luck! Trust that I will not half---it for safty sake though.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
just keep us posted and lets see this come to life!
Reply | Threaded
|

smitty67
I finally got most of the parts to start the build of the fuel delivery on  the'86. My son and I are getting together today to get started. I will try to post some pics.....