door seals/weather stripping

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

door seals/weather stripping

Troy
Well, that was fun, sort of. I was getting tired of the constant whistling on the highway, so I ordered the 8 piece kit from JCW,  The kit arrived in 3 days which is amazing for northern Minnesota. I started on the passenger side and everything came apart quite nicely even if it was crumbling in my hands, drivers side was quite a bit more...dry and hard. Going back in was another story as feeding the strip into the track/guide, I couldn't feed it at all.

After scratching the noggin for a bit, I decided to heavily spray everything with armor-all and everything pretty much slid into place. I did have to get inside the door to grab the bottom edge of the stripping with some needle nose pliers and assist it a little but it was quite easy all in all. I'd say the quality of the new parts seems quite good and I hope it holds up.

While I was at it, I taped the tar paper back to the door as I could hear it buzzing when the tunes are turned up, hope it helps. Having said that, the doors do not impart any sense that they are carved from granite
1985 (1/2) F150 XLT Lariat Explorer, rally wheels, no pw or pdl
5.0L efi a.t w/o.d. 175KM. clean interior is a great place to spend time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: door seals/weather stripping

Gsmblue
Such a fun job!!

I used silicon spray to coax the window runners on..

I couldn’t work out which way round the adhesive rubber on top of the door is supposed to go on. I think I did it wrong... any chance you could post a pic of your door top please?
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
In reply to this post by Troy
Spraying some undercoating inside the door will help with that solid sound. Then cover the back of your door panel with insulation if it has none now.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Troy
I put some peel 'n seal on the inside of my door skins when i had them apart for various reasons.

It seemed like an inexpensive alternative to dynamat.
The doors do sound more solid when closing than they did before.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I did that as well on Dad’s truck and it really did help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I'm looking to do the belt line window seals on my truck before winter.

There was some discussion about Chinese vs Indian made rubber.

Personally I think Malaysia or Vietnam would be closer to the source and better made than the crap I got from LMC the last time.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
In reply to this post by Gsmblue

this is the original part as a replacement was not part of the 'kit'. Both inner seals (don't see the sun) are wear free and remain flexible.
1985 (1/2) F150 XLT Lariat Explorer, rally wheels, no pw or pdl
5.0L efi a.t w/o.d. 175KM. clean interior is a great place to spend time
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Dammit.

My truck did not have them on the door when I got it. So I ordered them up and could not find any pics of how they went on.

So I put mine on wrong. As soon as I did the 2nd door I thought that was the case..

Bugger...

Thanks for helping me, time to order 2 more.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"