attaching inner door panel window guide

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

attaching inner door panel window guide

Troy
I have been waiting a week for my local shop to attach the inner door panel window guide/seal to the...inner door panel. I removed the heavy duty staples and as a 'do it yourself' kind of guy, maybe I should purchase my own 'stapler', but what is it I would be looking for? It certainly was not a hog ring stapler, any insight or suggestions as to what I am looking for? I could find dozens of uses for such a device, I believe.
1985 (1/2) F150 XLT Lariat Explorer, rally wheels, no pw or pdl
5.0L efi a.t w/o.d. 175KM. clean interior is a great place to spend time
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: attaching inner door panel window guide

Gary Lewis
Administrator
No!  Don’t staple it!!!  Been there, done that, and broke the door panel.

Instead, use pop rivets with the appropriate washers to spread the load. I think a 3/16” diameter rivet would be more than enough, and a smaller one should do adequately.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

PetesPonies
Exactly, use rivets. I use 1/8" in most cases and a washer , as suggested, on the backside will help it stay put.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
was your experience due to the age of the plastic...brittle?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, the problem was probably due to brittle plastic. So if you are using new door panels you might not have a problem. But I wouldn’t chance it.  Pop rivets hold the piece tightly to the panel, probably even better than staples.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Troy
I went to pick the panels up right after the above tips...and they were done. On the up side, they were drilled and riveted. It was a glass and upholstery shop so maybe I shouldn't be surprised they did the right thing, likely have seen more of this stuff than I will in my lifetime.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
They may have made the same mistake I made.  Drilling and riveting is a lot safer than stapling.

Anyway, glad they are done.  You can soon finish peeling this layer off the onion.   

Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Not on our trucks but I have heard of guys using mechanics wire like staples. Poked thru the front and twist on the back side to hold it in place.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Heat the wire with a torch and when red hot melt your way through.
No way of risking damage trying to predrill a hole.

I'm going to be replacing my window weatherstrips in 2 days according to tracking.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.