Yukon, Motive, or Richmond

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Yukon, Motive, or Richmond

Fordboy300
Hey fellas so after 6 years of planning and mainly collecting parts for Big Red it’s finally time to change the gears on the old girl. Originally it has 3.08 gear ratio open I was gonna go with a 3.55 but I’m leaning more towards a 3.73 ratio with a limited slip carrier from ford racing.

Now you guys that have more experience what is the better brand I have read on other forums that Richmond has noisy gears. Yukon could be repackaged items.  Motive I haven’t read to much on but I’ve never really for of them.  Which one would you buy and why?
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Yukon, Motive, or Richmond

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't know about the others, but I have Yukon gears in Big Blue.  So far they are doing fine.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I used Yukon Gears in my friend's 1995 F350, changed from a 4.10 to 3.73
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

351FUN
In reply to this post by Fordboy300
Yukon is great, I've heard good things about Motive too.  Never messed with richmond personally so I can't say on those.
Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
Had my 8" rear set up by a guy who asked what gears I was using, and said if I brought him Richmond, he wouldn't install them.  Said they make so much noise that people think he screwed up, and were bringing them back for him to "fix".  I have a 4.11 diff I bought from a guy that was rebuilt, using Richmond gears, and the rear was very noisy.  Whether it was the gears or something else, I don't know, but switching back to the 3.25s it was quiet as a mouse.  I think the 3.25s were made by Strange.
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

Nothing Special
My one and only ring and pinion change was Yukon gears in the high pinion Dana 44 I put in my Bronco last year.  I'm happy with them and would go back to them.  But no info on anyone else.
Bob
Sorry, no '80 - '86 Ford trucks
"Oswald": 1997 F-250HD crew cab short box, 460, E4OD, 4.10 gears
"Pluto": 1971 Bronco, 302, NV3550 5 speed, Atlas 4.3:1 transfer case, 33" tires
"the motorhome": 2015 E-450-based 28' class C motorhome, 6.8L V-10
"the Dodge": 2007 Dodge 2500, 6.7L Cummins
Reply | Threaded
|

Fordboy300
Hey guys just an update I’m needed going with a Yukon gear set for the ring and pinion.  

Another question when I do the gear change what would be needed so the speedo read somewhat correctly.  
"Big Red" 1986 Ford F150 XL

Ford 300 i6 4.9L  .20 over bore(303 cubic inches now), p&p head, Crower 19212 cam, crower lifter spring kit, cloyes timing gears, EFI manifolds, Offenhauser C-series, Edelbrock 500cfm, DUI Ignition Dizzy, dual in single out magnaflow exhaust dumped before the rear axle.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
generally when you change the final gear ration you will affect the speedometers rate of speed and also the odometer by a relative percentage. if you go up in gear ratio ten percent then the speedo will read ten percent higher and so will the odometer. the fine tuning is done with a gear on the end of the speedometer cable where it connects to the trans/ transfer case. commonly you might have anywhere from a 15 to a 21 tooth gear. higher gear numbers will require a higher drive gear for the speedo. and vice versa. I'm doing the same but because I changed from a three speed to a four speed with od and it is more than I can correct with the speedo gear alone. so, I'm figuring out which rear gear to use. I want the benefit of the od so I want to keep as low of a rear gear as practical.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary has a page for that.

https://www.garysgaragemahal.com/speedometer-gears-cables--sensors.html
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
I can't recall who made them, but I had a speedometer gear correction box (set of gears to increase/decrease the effective ratio) that I had on my Shelby GT350.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413