York ac compressor.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

York ac compressor.

Ifitaintbroke
Found a York compressor at the junkyard. I've been wanting one for while, but this one has some issues. It's locked up, and it's in an 82 Econoline that had a terrible underwood fire. I can probably get it for next to nothing( the guys at the yard are great, walked up to the front with two armloads of junk and they just said $35 without even looking at what I had.) How hard are these thing to rebuild? And what is likely to happen to one in a fire? FWIW I'll be using it as an air compressor.
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: York ac compressor.

ratdude747
It's be a bit of a hike (I'm in southern Indiana), but if you want a York compressor, I have one sitting. By way of Gary no less!

Free if transportation can be negotiated (or someone gives me enough of an excuse to travel). No idea if it works, but AFAIK it's not locked up. Sitting outside but the ports are masking taped over for protection.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Cool! That sounds great, but I don't really see any reason for you to come to this part of Georgia unless you were on the way to Savannah. It's pretty boring out here. And not many Bullnoses. And I DEFINITELY don't want to go up there. The cold down here is bout killing me! Could we work out shipping maybe?
Bradley
86 f250 supercab longbed, 4x4, 460 bored to 472 cubes, ported heads, ARP rod bolts, EFI pistons, 5.08/5.41 lift 114° lobe separation flat tappet cam, notched lifters, Smith Brothers pushrods, stock rockers, Eddy Performer intake, Holley 1850 or 3310 depending on mood, custom curved points dizzy, MSD analog 6al triggered by Pertronix module, zf5 swap, 3g alternator, custom instrument cluster, dual tanks with 38 Gal rear for 57 Gal of fuel capacity, far too much more to mention.

98 Ranger standard cab, rwd, 5-speed, 2.5L, glass pack muffler, dual plugs wired to fire at the same time, coming up on 300,000 miles before too long.

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Pretty heavy... would be more akin to freight (would need crated?)
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
Good grief. I've never picked one up. How much do they weigh?
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If I remember correctly York compressors are cast iron, Tecumseh ones are aluminum.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I just had a Tecumseh 7 horse throw a rod.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Exactly what does that have to do with AC compressors? I won't go into how many Briggs & Strattons I have seen with thrown rods. My 1972 Craftsman HH100 (Tecumseh built) is still going strong.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
I have no idea. You said Tecumseh and that was the first thing I thought of. To qualify my statement(or disqualify, rather), this engine was over 40 years old, had untold hours on it, and was very neglected when I acquired it. It appeared that the oil had never been changed, only added to.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Ifitaintbroke
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
I also had no idea that Tecumseh made ac compressors.
Bradley

Averaging 26-27 mpg.

South Georgia.
Reply | Threaded
|

Nickelplate
In reply to this post by Ifitaintbroke
Not sure if you're still looking for York compressors, but I looked and I have 2 of them in my parts collection. Hit me up if you're interested.
1986 Bronco. 5.0L, Edelbrock Pro-flo 4 EFI, Baumann-controlled 4r70w, 3.55 gears, 31" tires.