XLT and Lariat emblem questions

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

XLT and Lariat emblem questions

CDLong
The XLT emblem is off the passenger's fender. I have the emblem. I intend to remount it using thin 3M automotive double-faced tape. What should I use to remove the old adhesive? Both her Lariat emblems are missing the red insert with Lariat on them. Is the insert available, (I've only found the emblem), or do I need to replace the emblem? If replacement is needed, how do I remove the old emblem? Heat gun and plastic putty knife / bondo spreader?
CD Long Jr
1985 F150 XLT Lariat 302 EFI AOD transmission 4x4 regular cab LWB
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: XLT and Lariat emblem questions

mat in tn
3m adhesive remover has worked well for me on residue. using a length of nylon string about 18'-24' with a loop tied at each end will make a cheap "saw" for the dried foam adhesive on badges and emblems but I think the "b" pillar lariat ones may have two alignment pins and therefore two holes in the body. please verify that first.  
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
haha 18" to 24". no sense in wrapping around the truck.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You *might* be able to stumble across the Lariat emblems without the chrome housing, as recently I stumbled across an Ebay seller who had sheets of the "Trailer Special" emblems without the chrome surround. If you came across something similar, you would be in good shape although I haven't seen anything like that recently.

I definitely wouldn't trust the aftermarket replacements unless they came from Dennis Carpenter, but then again, the factory ones weren't that great either.
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by mat in tn
mat in tn wrote
3m adhesive remover has worked well for me on residue. using a length of nylon string about 18'-24' with a loop tied at each end will make a cheap "saw" for the dried foam adhesive on badges and emblems but I think the "b" pillar lariat ones may have two alignment pins and therefore two holes in the body. please verify that first.
Thanks Matt. Good info, especially the "saw". I'll try to find out if the Lariat emblem has alinement pins.
CD Long Jr
Reply | Threaded
|

CDLong
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
You *might* be able to stumble across the Lariat emblems without the chrome housing, as recently I stumbled across an Ebay seller who had sheets of the "Trailer Special" emblems without the chrome surround. If you came across something similar, you would be in good shape although I haven't seen anything like that recently.

I definitely wouldn't trust the aftermarket replacements unless they came from Dennis Carpenter, but then again, the factory ones weren't that great either.
Thanks, I'm in no hurry to replace the Lariat emblems so I'll keep looking. I think the new emblems are from Dennis Carpenter.
CD Long Jr