Wiring an electric choke

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wiring an electric choke

loveco
What's the best place to wire it to? Here's a pic before I pulled the carb off and installed the electric choke. 351w

Sorry if the pic didn't work, doing this on a cell.

I read somewhere about hooking directly to the alternator even tho the tab recommended would only produce a little over 7v with edelbrock recommending 12v. I checked this last night with my multimeter and sure enough a little over 7.

Any suggestions are appreciated.
1984 f150 2wd lb. 5.8 C6 86k
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wiring an electric choke

PetesPonies
Depends on where you are attaching to the alternator. Some chokes want 6-9V. some 12-14V. No problem with using any of the voltages . . it just effects the time to heat the spring. I prefer the alternator, so that the heating never happens just because your key is on.
Pete's Ponies
Mustang RUSToration & Performance

1982 F100 Flareside
1983 Bronco

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by loveco
My new Edelbrock works fine hooked to the stator wire.
You are seeing AC voltage at the stator (black/white wire)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I've run Edelbrocks directly off the stator as well as using the stator to pull in a relay to give it battery voltage.  It just takes a little longer for the choke to pull off when driving it with the stator voltage, but it does work.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Mine seems to come off just fine, but I may have to wind it a little tighter when the weather gets really cold.

Not sure how it will behave then.
Experience is limited to the past couple of months
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That was kind of the debate I was having when running it on the stator - give it another notch or two for the cold, or leave it alone so it'll come off a little earlier.  It was compounded by how lean I was running the carb anyway, and the fact that I didn't have the exhaust pre-heat connected.  In the end I added the relay because I already had it, and that let me turn it up a couple of notches while still coming off quickly.

But, with a reasonably-jetted carb, meaning not leaned to the hilt like mine was, and especially if you had heat to the intake, I think stator voltage would work well on an Eddy.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
My carb is definitely tuned a bit rich.
It is the performance jetted version of the Thunder Series after all..

I don't have a wideband like you Gary, but if I can get the 450 Y-pipe to fit, I will when I do the engine swap..  
Without knowing A/F and having always been on the ragged edge of detonation with my advance curve, I would rather burn a little fuel than have a hole in my piston.

All I can say is try it on stator current and see if it works for you.
If the truck is fat and stumbling when half warm you can always add the extra complexity of a relay triggered by the stator wire.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

loveco
In reply to this post by loveco
Thank you for the responses.

I did hook it up to the stator wire. Then had to see how it'd do this morning after it cooled down. With the temps in the mid 20's this morn it fired up like a champ. I did have the high idle set a bit too far in. I believe I ended with the choke advanced 1 notch toward lean side.

Thanks again, appreciate your knowledge.

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it is working.  And thanks for the feedback.  Keep us posted as the winter gets colder, please.

Reply | Threaded
|

loveco
Will do!