Windshield Wiper Woes.............

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Windshield Wiper Woes.............

Jake Papageorge
As many of these as I have worked on in the past, I have not encountered a problem like this.  I have an 85 with the intermittent wiper control.  Everything works, but when I turn the wipers off, the left (Drivers) wiper parks just fine, but the right (pass) wiper lands about 40% of the way up the windshield.  I just have to shove it down into place when I shut them off and they just stay there until I use them again.  No slop in the wiper arm mechanism/linkage.  

Anyone else run into this?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Windshield Wiper Woes.............

ratdude747
One motor drives both arms via a crank and two connecting rods. Sound like the crank on the passenger side arm is slipping... you shouldn't be able to shove one arm without moving the other.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Or someone put the arm on out of sync.  I'd pull the arm and put it back where it should be when parked and see if that fixes it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
maybe the arm is from a different year. I have run into this where the splined shaft is a slightly different size
on the later years. close enought work part of the time yet they come off really easy
Reply | Threaded
|

Jake Papageorge
In reply to this post by Jake Papageorge
I always believe that when a solution is found, a follow up is in order, so.......The follow up:

After not being able to sense any slack or slop in the wiper assembly, the logical move was to remove the wiper motor and take it apart.  Sure enough...the contactors were totally burned.  I have not quite figured out why having the 'parking" contactors burn would cause un-even wiper arm parking, but sure enough it did in my case!  I tested the theory by cleaning the contacts, re-installing and the wipers worked perfectly and parked properly.  

I bought a Cardone re-built unit, installed it, and now, no issues!  

Thanks to those of you who offered suggestions.  I really appreciate all of you!  
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, feedback is warranted, so thanks.  Glad to know what would cause that, although I'm with you and don't understand how.  

But glad you got it fixed.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
i have seen cases where the contacts were broken and then did not "park" but im guessing they were burned enough to be "as if they were broken"