What are your tricks for finding hardware?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What are your tricks for finding hardware?

Littlebeefy
So lets say I'm looking for a common part with locator code X-45 (that's 44750-S8 in the Parts and Utility catalog). How would you find that?

Usually I search the Part Number and I can find it at Fastenal or similar. Often I end up with a part that is similar but not the same. I feel like I spend more time and money finding the right screw, nut or washer than I should. What does everyone else do? Is there a trick for finding cross references and identical parts with other SKUs?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What are your tricks for finding hardware?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think the locator code is for Ford parts managers. And the -S code is the coating. So I’d look for the number w/o the -S.

I use Clips & Fasteners as a supplier, and frequently they show it by the Ford part number. Other times I have to use the description in the utility catalog to find it.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Littlebeefy
I have loads of salvaged fasteners and also use Clips and Fasteners.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Angelo Voltura
For me it depends Im what im doing. Nut and bolt numbers matching is too much. I just find a comparable bolt from the hardware store or one laying around and replace it if it's my daily.

My 79 though I use stainless grade 5 and 8 where ever I can.
1978 F150 351W
1979 F150 "410M"
1979 F100 302
1979 F250 400
1987 F150 300
1990 F150 302
1991 F150 300
1995 F150 (1985 clip swapped) 300
1997 F250 351W
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
For the smaller oddball Fasteners (7mm head or attached washer 6mm, etc) Clips 'N Fasteners or Aveuco.
When I replaced my radiator support I ended up buying boxes through eBay.

Bigger stuff like chassis or engine fasteners I usually get at the local hardware.
... the last of which has unfortunately been sold because the owner retired.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
Littlebeefy wrote
I feel like I spend more time and money finding the right screw, nut or washer than I should. What does everyone else do? Is there a trick for finding cross references and identical parts with other SKUs?
I have an unusual obsession with OEM bolts and nuts, or bolts that appear to be OEM. The hardest thing to find in the aftermarket is flanged hex head bolts like the manufacturers use...or to be even more specific, "dished head" flanged hex head bolts, like the Germans use on Volkswagens, etc. I used to really annoy a few of the guys at the local dealers because I was always looking for OEM bolts, and I'd pay $10 for a factory bolt that was free issue in the bolt bin just 10 feet away lol.

I only really care if it can be easily seen. A lower shock bolt under the car or truck, I don't care what it is.

A personal pet peeve of mine is the water pump bolts on a small block Ford. They're always seized and snap off in the water pump or timing cover (or even worse, in the block) and you just can't find those original looking bolts anywhere.

As for finding them...good luck. The parts guys at the dealers seem to have a 10 year limit. They HATE looking up bolts anyway, but anything over 10 years old and you'll usually get an eye roll and a big sigh like you just ruined their whole day by asking them to look it up...lol. I get it though...most people probably won't pay $10 for a bolt, but some will.

In my line of work (Industrial) we often quote customers $50, $60, even $70 for a single O-ring haha, and sometimes they lose their minds and freak out, but there's just as many people will pay the price and buy them too.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995