classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

What I've Been Up To - Not Bullnose Or Truck Related

Machspeed
Administrator
So I've been a little busy for the past couple of months and as such, a bit absent from the forum. So, where have I been and what have I been doing? Let me esplain!

For my daily driver, I've been wanting a new 2-Dr Bronco for some time now but with today's crazy prices on those things and the fact that they are the first release with some noted problems, decided to keep with my current daily driver, a Ford Focus ST. With 165k on it, every bit of which I put on it, it's been a great little car. And, I'll add, probably the most fun car I've ever owned. It gets decent fuel mileage, is quick, handles great, brakes great, and with it being a hatch, I can toss a small fridge back there with the seats folded down.  

Anyway, decided to give it a few more ponies with some added bolt ons. Not knowing squat really about turbo charger technology, had to do some schooling first. After schooling, went to taking stuff apart and putting stuff on. This to include a bigger turbo, special down pipe, a bigger and more efficient intercooler, blow off valve, hot and cold side charge pipes, Cold Air Intake system, Access Port for tuning and several other items. Also put upgraded rotors and brakes on the car and replaced all fluids.

In all my years of wrenching, I've never experienced greater performance gains with simple bolt on's than this! And, all this without the sacrifice in fuel economy. This car went from around 250 HP to over 350 HP at the wheels. In this light car, it is crazy fast and I just smile from ear to ear when I put the peddle down.

Hmmmmmm......a turbocharger on Blackie

Merry Christmas, gang!

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: What I've Been Up To - Not Bullnose Or Truck Related

grumpin
Sweet!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
Merry Christmas, John!  You got it done!!!!

I’ll bet you are a happy camper. Glad it worked out so well. I’ll bet it screams - and stops well.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85pig
In reply to this post by grumpin
Man, kudos to you.  I've got a "garden variety" 2008 Foci, love that little box, but working under the hood is a nightmare - I can see the one in your pics above is just as packed in there as mine, probably worse.  My kids always joke about sticking a turbo on it, but it's already an engineered "50lbs of dung in a 10lb sack", and it's 240,000 mile drivetrain probably wouldn't think it was as cool.  How did you get all of the plumbing in there?  
1985 F150 4X4 300 I6 4-Speed
1970 Torino Cobra "Twister Special" 429CJ 4-Speed
1965 Mercury Comet Caliente Convertible 331 5-Speed
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Machspeed
I can vouch for what a bit of tuning and a bigger turbo can do. 1985 Chrysler Lebaron convertible, 2.2L turbo II engine with boost level raised to 14 psi, car would just drive away from an 80s/90s Mustang GT. Son found that the Tokyo by night dash didn't blank at 85 mph (switch set to "export"), but lacked a 100s digit in mph. He had it to indicating 21 and still accelerating up near DC.

As a result, T2K-CAR MkII has 3 wheel disc brakes, but will start at 15 psi, with a bigger exhaust system. Later plans are partially documented in my projects thread, a PT Cruiser turbo DOHC head on a 2.5L turbo short block.

The existing 8 valve engine can tolerate 30 psi boost levels and the hybrid engine will also, crank will be it's weak spot as the current engine has a forged crank and the hybrid has a cast crank.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413