Wagons East

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Wagons East

Shorty
Looking to ship my little 1980 Flareside from CA to VA by mid-JAN. I listed the shipment on a couple of shipping auction sites and am receiving tons of calls and texts with offers. Wish they would take a break for Christmas, but no such luck. Anywhere between $950 and $2850 seems to be the going rate; most around $1K. Only a couple have websites and I’m getting that wild-wild-west vibe. Can anyone on this site recommended a hauler for a 3,000-mile move?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis
“Find what you love and let it kill you.”
― Charles Bukowski

1980 F100 Custom, Big Six, bench and 3 on the tree. My bare bones play truck.
2012 VW TDI Sportwagen daily driver.

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wagons East

ratdude747
Based on my experience earlier in 2022, you're going to be hounded with spam for the next 8 months... Didn't end up needing a hauler (deal fell through) though.

That sounds right... about half of that to go from central KS to southern IN.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
Well that didn’t go well.
Near as I can tell my “Georgia based” USA CARSHIP “broker” was a boiler room operation in India. Somehow in three weeks they were unable to book a ride for what they quoted. Most offers were double. Asked for my deposit back because the window to make this happen has closed. Maybe try later this year.
If fuel ever gets back to pre-FJB prices I’ll take a week off from work and drive it from Cali to VA. That would be a proper adventure.
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I understand the stress. but the gas seems to be inching up again. my first thought was why not drive it but then the real question is why is it going in the first place?  are you not able to trailer it behind your u haul if you are moving?
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
My actual home is in VA. A nice, low key condo development with mostly elderly owners and a few renters. My job allows me to spend a lot of time taking care of my 90 year-old dad in Los Angeles. I wish I could get him to move to the free state of Virginia. But, you lose a certain amount of flexibility with age, I guess. I purchased the Flareside six years ago and have put maybe 1000 miles on it. I keep it stored indoors at work and pick away at little projects on it.

A month ago, while back in VA I noted that my renter next door neighbor’s transgender teen son was dealing drugs in one of my condo unit’s two parking spots. Four to six late night visitors every night. Loud music, lights, great stuff. All I get is a hateful look when I ask them to move on. My HOA president refuses to acknowledge the activity even though her condo is only a hundred feet away, directly facing. The marina next door has talked to the cops but they only patrol their parking lot. My concern is that some competitor will try to take direct action against Fruity Pebbles next door and get the wrong house. Same for no-knock PD raids, which occasionally hit the wrong address.

My plan was to park my little F100 in the vacant space, forcing the business deals to be made elsewhere.

Since my car shipper dropped the ball, I attended the HOA meeting and really hammered home my concerns. Several of the long term residents backed up my suspicions and the management company rep offered to act as liaison with local PD providing they could use one or two units for stakeouts. So, good things happening there.
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
I’ll continue to work on both coasts and pretty up my little truck as time permits. The time spent with my dad is invaluable and my wife has been pretty amazing allowing this much time away. I retired from the merchant marine in 2010 and have worked for shipping companies as a shoreside port engineer ever since. Had it not been for Dad showing me how to be a decent mechanic and electrician, I might have chosen a different path. Recently my dad has slowed down considerably and taken a few tumbles, so I try to be around more lately.  Gives me a chance to practice my cooking on someone. In my VA home it is a one butt kitchen and I’m not allowed to make messes.

There may come a time I the future when I can take a few weeks and trace the Lincoln Highway in reverse or some such thing. We’ll see. Sorry to prattle on, but life is complicated.

Dennis
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, time with your father invaluable, and I recommend you get as much of it as you can.  My father has passed on and I regret not being with him more, even though I was with him a lot.

Perhaps you and he can make the drive back from CA to VA?  That would give you both a lot of memories.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
Too slow for my dad! He lives at full speed. Believe it or not he bought a new F-150 FX4 last year with the 5.0 Coyote engine. Says if he stays in his chair watching TV he gets crippled up. Instead he races over to Costco three times a week to socialize, taste free samples and complain about the long lines.  

I get migraines driving with Dad up to the mountains on weekends. His overall driving is fine. His mental acuity is amazing. The zero to sixty performance of the truck is phenomenal but I’m getting whiplash. He stays between the lines but is extremely critical of bad drivers around him. Like a three-hour running commentary on rules of the road. I’m watching the mirrors and staying as focused as a B-17 Tail gunner. He takes the curves on the mountain roads at Steve McQueen speeds. He really lives for high performance driving. I’ve rediscovered prayer in my life, partly because of this😇. The view from the passenger seat is always different, right?

Most 90 year-old dads are tied to chairs, eating applesauce and wondering what year it is. I am thankful he is such a tough nut. And the thing is, when we get to the cabin (that we built) and sit under the big pines, we’ll have a soda, feed the squirrels and talk about when he was a kid learning to ride ponies down the street. Maybe bitch about the decline of country music or the foo-foo coffee shops that have taken over the town center. Later on we’ll pick out a John Wayne movie or Hee Haw collection from the hundreds of DVDS he has, make a cowboy style dinner and hit the hay. Could be a heck of a lot worse.
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
He sounds like a cool guy.  But I'll put Blue up against his Coyote.  The twin blowers on my 3.5L work quite well, and with the Max Tow package I have 3.55 gears where most have 3.23's.

Anyway, spend time with him - you'll never regret it.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

86 1/2 Brutus
27 years ago when i moved from DC to Louisiana, to truck my belongings cost me $2,100.  The prices you are getting quoted seam like a bargain considering.
Nick and George
1986 1/2  F150 XLT Lariat 4X2  300 Six  - C6 - 3:08 in a 8.8 -  Fully Loaded - 8 Foot Box
Owned since new
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
In reply to this post by Shorty
spend that time well. I go to see my dad as often as I can but it's never enough. he is in Maine and I'm in NC now. my dad has slowed down drastically. and he is much younger than 90.
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
Thanks. You are correct, of course. Gotta slow down and be thankful more often. 🙂
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Wagons East Round II

Shorty
Just when I gave up on shipping my shorty F100 from CA to VA, one of the contractors I work with recommended his shipper. Night and day difference. Polite, punctual and at a fair price. Away she goes to Virginia for a semi-retired life. I’ll be replacing the bed wood and getting it painted, but that will wait a bit.
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Wagons East Round II

85lebaront2
Administrator
Where in our great state are you moving to?

My dad has passed on, he was 1 day past his 89th birthday, mind was still sharp as a tack. He had decided on his own to stop driving a couple of years before. Stepmother had Alzheimer's and he put her in a day care facility until the stress put him in the hospital with a bleeding ulcer. That was when he with some prodding by my brother and I decided to sell the 2500 sq ft ranch house on an arm of Lake Smith in Virginia Beach.

He had a house cleaning party so the four of us (his kids) and the 4 of Mary's (stepmother) girls could get what they had either been promised or wanted.

He had given my his 1960 vintage Craftsman radial arm saw, joiner and huge shop vac, we parceled out his tools among the men and after we emptied the house, he put it up for sale and set up an investment account to be split 4 ways upon his death. Mary had already given her girls their inheritance, of which we received nothing, so dad gave each 1 cent.

I miss him, and when I am doing something he taught me about I think about him watching me from above.

Enjoy your dad while you still can.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It is so nice when you find someone to work with!  Good luck!  

Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
In reply to this post by 85lebaront2
Bill,
Thanks for the encouragement. I live in one of the less dangerous parts of Hampton. 16 years in Virginia Beach, then the inevitable down-sizing when the kids grew up/out to a condo over by Surfrider Hampton. New house is only 1/2 mile away but it addresses all my complaints of condo life.

I placed an Apple air tag in my truck before it left. According to it, my truck is headed east on i40 in Tennessee. I’ll be home in a couple of weeks for moving party and Xmas.
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good move on the Air Tag.  Glad things are going well.  

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I lived in Hampton, apartment on Elizabeth Rd. Southampton area. After I met my first wife, I moved in with she and her kids on Pine Grove Ave. and cancelled the apartment lease. After we were married, a neighbor of ours in the Hollywood Shopping Center (sounds ritzy, but wasn't) Preston Carburetion was at 9823 Jefferson Ave. and he was Farah Realty and said he had a great deal on a house on Old Chestnut Ave. 4 fifths of liquor later we had a nice loan and a real good price. I lived at 5913 Old Chestnut Ave. Newport News VA from Feb 1974 until Dec. 2011 when I officially moved to Exmore VA on the Eastern Shore.

First house after moving out of my parents was on Pine Grove Ave. before we were married, Karen looked at me and asked why don't you just move here and stop renting that apartment? So I did. After she passed away the end of 2005, I piddled around, finally joined Singles-net and in a month or so had two fairly local women contact me. Not being one to play the field, I started seeing the first one and when the second one contacted me I told her I was seeing someone, but would definitely keep her in mind if it didn't work out.

Mary is from one of the original Eastern Shore families and had two previous marriages, one beat her and her mother and sister drove to Texas to bring her home, the second turned out to be a bigamist, so she dumped him fast. She was single for about 20 years when I met her.

Preston Carburetion was originally at 5832D Jefferson Ave. just below Briarfield Rd.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
Bill,
I have to admit I am more familiar with Virginia Beach than Hampton. VB was fun when it was more rural and safer for motorcycle riding, but those days are gone. I imagine Hampton will become more of a big deal when the new Hampton Roads Bridge tunnel is finished. More commuter friendly.
I first moved to Virginia over thirty years ago for marriage #1. On #2 now and I still love the place. I have some good friends there. I travel a lot for work but it is always home to me.
My only experience with Exmore was an expensive speeding ticket there running and up down the coast a few years ago. Seemed to be a regular cottage industry there. Oh well, live and learn.

My F100 arrives today and my wife will have her first opportunity to drive three on the column if the transporter doesn’t park it out of the way. I sent her a diagram, so…

― Charles Bukowski

Dennis
Reply | Threaded
|

Shorty
Four days and $1250 got my baby home. First time my wife has seen it in person and she’s still talking to me 😁
― Charles Bukowski

Dennis