38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Visor Decals

ckuske
Administrator
Hi Everyone,

I realize that the decals vary by trim level, etc.  The PO on my truck removed the vinyl off the visors and replaced with an open-cell foam of some sort, so I don't have the original decals and I'm trying to piece together what SHOULD be there.

I know one side (driver side) had a "Shifting" decal, indicating when to use overdrive, when to not, etc. I'm pretty sure it is 42-0145 here: https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/fd-1980-96-decals

I'm not sure if anything was on the passenger side visor.

Anyone have examples or original stickers where you can confirm what decal goes where?  I guess 2wd with Overdrive would be the most similar.  Thanks!

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Visor Decals

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I don't know.  But I just went through the 1984 owner's manual and the only reference to "visor" is for a transfer case shifting decal on the driver's visor.  There are several references to a "decal" but other than the one on the driver's visor none of them are what you are looking for.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks for looking, Gary.  Hopefully someone on here has a survivor where the decals are still there, or they have a better memory than I!

I am 99% sure on the shift decal I pointed to at LMC.  But I can't remember which side it went on (driver's side makes the most sense) or if there was another decal on the passenger side.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I hate to say this but did you see what LMC list as years for that decal?
Yep 87 - 90!

Hate to say it #2
Both of my 81 F100 trucks did not have anything on the visor(s) and I am pretty sure they were factory items.
Both were 4x2, 300 six, manual transmissions T18 & SROD, 1 along bed style side Ranger(AC, power brakes, P/S) the other short bed flare side custom (just P/S).

So who has seen anything on a visor?
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I did see that Dave, good observation!

I am chalking that 87-91 up to an error on their part.  I am certain there was a sticker like that originally on the visor from when I was a kid.  I can't remember the exact verbiage etc, but the graphics and layout match what I remember.  Of course, the picture on LMC isn't good enough for me to see if there's anything 87-91 specific on the sticker, but if/when I do an LMC purchase, I figure I can spring for a sticker and try it until I am proven wrong.  In fact, I'd love to be proven either right or wrong on this one more than relying on a 25 year old memory

I wonder if CA trucks had more decals for some reason?  Like the goofy "Everything in the building causes cancer" notices that are everywhere in CA buildings? (I'm only half joking here)
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ckuske
AOD's got a special decal for when/how to use OD. I'll nab a picture of mine in the morning. I think that's all I have since mine's RWD. But other than a 302, you have literally the exact same truck, so that's likely all yours hard as well.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by FuzzFace2
FuzzFace2 wrote
I hate to say this but did you see what LMC list as years for that decal?
Yep 87 - 90!

Hate to say it #2
Both of my 81 F100 trucks did not have anything on the visor(s) and I am pretty sure they were factory items.
Both were 4x2, 300 six, manual transmissions T18 & SROD, 1 along bed style side Ranger(AC, power brakes, P/S) the other short bed flare side custom (just P/S).

So who has seen anything on a visor?
Dave ----
My '82, I took the original visors off and replaced with new and they had nothing on the visors either.  Given I wouldnt expect anything seeing as mine is a 302 C6 with dealer A/C.  I dont think I saw anything in my '82 Owners Manual in reference to a decal on the visor.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by ratdude747
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks ratdude!   It seems like your decal has slid down over time?  Looks like a have a good outline for where it is supposed to go when fresh.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
If I ever bother with it... My truck's more function than form these days!
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
That’s a good strategy.

Unfortunately my truck is in the inverse situation, but trying to fix that!
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
ckuske wrote
I did see that Dave, good observation!

I am chalking that 87-91 up to an error on their part.  I am certain there was a sticker like that originally on the visor from when I was a kid.  I can't remember the exact verbiage etc, but the graphics and layout match what I remember.  Of course, the picture on LMC isn't good enough for me to see if there's anything 87-91 specific on the sticker, but if/when I do an LMC purchase, I figure I can spring for a sticker and try it until I am proven wrong.  In fact, I'd love to be proven either right or wrong on this one more than relying on a 25 year old memory
There is a reason LMC states that the AOD sticker is correct for 1987 - 1991.  1987 is when the manual transmission became a 5-speed, whereas the Bullnose generation was only a 4-speed.  

So the 1987 sticker would have the number "4" on it in the manual transmission diagram.  The specific one for the Bullnose generation would not.  

The fourth gear + overdrive verbiage also shows up under the "Driving Modes" section.  

The "AOD" notes on the sticker is the same.

Capiche?
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
That is an interesting factoid!  But if the 87 trucks had a 5-speed, wouldn't the decal have a '5' and the Bullnose era have the '4' ?  Just making sure I understand.

Now I have to decide if I put the decal on knowing it is wrong.  Well, I said I wanted to know truth and I'm mostly glad about that haha.  

Thanks again for the info.
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It seems like there's a good cottage industry for getting those decals "right".  And if someone were to do so then I'd bet LMC and the others would sell them.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
ckuske wrote
That is an interesting factoid!  But if the 87 trucks had a 5-speed, wouldn't the decal have a '5' and the Bullnose era have the '4' ?  Just making sure I understand.
4th gear is "OD" for the 1980 - 1986 trucks.
3 gears + overdrive = 4-speed.

5th gear is "OD" for the 1987+ trucks.
4 gears + overdrive = 5-speed.

AOD = 3 gears + overdrive.  It is referred to as a 4-speed automatic.

By contrast, a C4 or C6 is called a 3 speed because all you get is 3 forward gears, no overdrive.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Got it, thanks for the clear explanation.

For those (still) interested, I think this reproduction decal (and lots of others) trace back to Jim Osborn Reproductions.  He makes an 87-90 sticker, but no 80-86.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Sa4AfjhuEUdL2Gp6D119-tFoyWhihpI4/view?fbclid=IwAR3rCckrco3tm0usdSvqlCq7cCYymEziplQ1T0unQQ7bDV6CIAizyTYg0w8

I'm going to send an email and see what luck I have
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
I actually drew up and printed visor decals for my truck sometime back. These were decals not available for my truck.  I printed them on adhesive paper and originally was quite pleased with them. I had intended to make them available but after a hot Summer here in Oklahoma, realized that they would not adhere. Surprisingly, even one of the decals that I purchased from one of the distributors failed to adhere. There are glues out there that I could probably utilize but I've not had the time to play with it. I'm open for suggestions though.

John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
John - If we could find the right adhesive and the right medium then those things would be sought after.  I think Jim might be the guy to answer the adhesive question so I'm going to tag him.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Gary/John I'm not sure exactly which adhesive might be best to adhere these decals (stickers? I think of decals as having a clear background, like the old water slip decals you'd find in plastic model kits)

I suspect that the type of acrylic adhesive found on foil duct tape would be most permanent. It is definitely tenacious and heat resistant.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

jdavidsmi
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
This thread got me to thinking about what’s in my trucks
The 84 4x4

The decal is very brittle and has slipped.
And on the other side.

The 86 rwd

Just standard decals

David
David,
1984 F150 LX, 4x4 117 wheel base, Engine Code "F" = 302, 5.0 2/B,
Transmission code "A" = 4sp manual New Process model 435
Axle code "19" = 3.55 (ford 8.8) manf.  08/1983, in Norfolk
DSO code "21" AtlantaFactory Air Conditioner, Dash with Gauges
1990 Goldwing 1500
1986 F150 XLT, short bed, 5.0 automatic
2004 F53 Fleetwood Terra motor home