classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
38 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Visor Decals

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Jim.  The adhesive on foil duct tape certainly is tenacious and heat resistant.  If you touch that foil to itself that piece is "done" and you might as well move on.

How would we figure out what that is?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I think you need to figure out the decal substrate, and if you can get that product with the adhesive already applied.
The decals shown above look like frosted aluminum or something.
Is this printed, painted, on paper or plastic?

If you must apply adhesive to a substrate that isn't available with it already 3M offers literally hundreds of transfer tapes (adhesive only, on a roll)

Some are indicated specifically for automotive interiors, but we need to know something about the texture and composition of the visor.
Thicker films to bridge textures, but can creep and start to show at edges.
Plastics come in a wide variety of surface energy.
I don't know how this is categorized or where the vinyl  back of a sunshade falls in the spectrum.

3M have a support page for graphics and signage.
I'd probably start there.
There's a product catalog download available here.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Excellent info, Jim!  Exactly what I was hoping for.  Thanks!

So if John wants to get into this, or anyone else for that matter, they need to figure out what substrate to use and then see if it comes with an adhesive already supplied.  If not, then look for a transfer tape to put on that substrate.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Like I said above, I'd be looking for a suitable substrate with the adhesive already applied.
I don't know what that is or whether the matte silver is paint, ink or foil.
Maybe it would help to tag Randy since he worked in the signage and graphics trade?

3M has a huge selection and would definitely offer product fit for purpose. Getting it in tiny quantities is the issue.
They are far from the only one. You might also check Avery and other sticker related companies.

3M adhesive transfer tape section here.
There are products said to meet SAE J1756 (low fogging/off gassing for automotive interiors) and specs from the American big three automakers.
I would definitely try to avoid this separate adhesive film route if I possibly could.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm at a loss, too, as to what the substrate is/was.  I will let those who are inspecting those things to chime in.  And those who might want to take this task on to comment about how/if they'd like to do it.  Looks to me like there's plenty of info here to let someone figure it out if s/he wants to.

Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

81f100custom
This is my original from my 81 that finally slid off the visor.
Eddie,
81 F100 Custom SWB, 5.0L, 4x2, Single Rail Four-Speed Overdrive, 3.00 Non-Limited Slip Rear Axle, Non A/C truck to complete 85 F150 factory A/C conversion, Nutmeg interior color.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Eddie.  If we collected a bunch of those here then maybe someone would want to recreate them.  

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Just as a follow-up, I got a response from Jim Osborn Productions saying that demand was not high enough to make an 80-86 version of the decal.

I'm not sure what the threshold is to make it worth their while, but I replied and said that the 80-86 trucks might be more popular than they realize.

Besides that, I asked if any tips could be given on how to make one on my own.  The 87-90 sticker arrived yesterday, I could scan that in any make my own after a little tweaking in Photoshop or something similar.

I asked about paper, adhesive, etc. I'm not sure how much they are willing to share but I thought I'd ask.  I said (and am truthful) in saying I'm not trying to make money, only complete my project.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good approach, Chris.  Let's see what they say.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I scanned the decal in, and played with it a bit.  I think I was able to make a decent facsimile, but it needs a little more touch up.  It looks doable though, now the hard part (printing)

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's a good start, Chris.  

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In reply to this post by ckuske
I am curious if a "three on tree" had a different decal, for the shifting pattern illustration.
🤔
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I noticed the notation is slightly different on this post (thanks Eddie!):

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Visor-Decals-tp126867p127242.html
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by 81f100custom
Eddie - Can you read the # in the lower right of your decal?  It may help me find them in the parts catalog.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Struck out on the email - "A print shop should be able to do it"

I may look on a site like Etsy to see if someone can print one off...
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I plan to reproduce my Engine Emissions Decal, since I got similar answer from Jim Osborn Productions.  Seems that their major issue is about the Ford copyright they need to reproduce original decals.  I imagine that Ford doesn't give it for free, so Jim Osborn needs a minimal market in order to make some profits.

When replacing Big Brother's radiator support for a new one, wasn't able to peel off the decal without tearing it.
I am cleaning (Photoshop) a decent scan I made from this original EED, and will send the jpeg file to a local print shop, which does vinyl stickers and similar stuff.  Will see with them what decal material they can use for.  Sure they won't bother about Ford copyright overcome, since there will be no retailing issue, this will be for personal use only.
Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
If that works we could start building a library of files for the decals.

Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
I'd be happy to contribute my image.  I cleaned it up a bit, got rid of the background noise etc. It's a pretty good scan, done at 600 dpi.

I found some silver inkjet paper that looks pretty good on Etsy (matte is harder to find than glossy), but inkjet doesn't seem durable enough to me, and I have no clue about the adhesive properties.  I'm wondering if you could 'turbocharge' the adhesion with a 3M contact spray.  

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing what Jeff comes up with as well.

If there's a will, there's a way!
Chris