Use of wheel spacers on a TTB F-150?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Use of wheel spacers on a TTB F-150?

Tunnelrat
Hello all, I just became the new owner of a ‘86 F-150 flare side and while I have a few little things I need to attend to give it some tlc I had a quick question I was hoping maybe some of you could shed some light on for me...

I found a pretty good deal on a set of wheels and tires (33/10r17 Toyo AT III on some nice fuel wheels) the only downside is the backspacing is not playing nice with my bullnose.. I test fitted one, and the rear of the tire hits the radius arms at close to full lock. It looks like a 1” or 1.5” spacer would solve this. I’ve used spacers before and know all the normal gripes about them. But I’ve never Had a TTB vehicle and wasn’t sure if they had any big reasons to stay away from spacers outside the normal (increased wheel bearing/ball joint wear, etc). When I use wheel spacers I always wire wheel and brake clean the mating surfaces and loctite the spindle studs as I think that’s just good practice with them.

I have not bought the wheel and tire set just yet but he’s only wanting 1500 for the set of 5..all matching wheels and tires with about 10k miles on them. Honestly, they all look brand new still and the set would be around $3k or more if I bought the same set with the correct offset wheels so I’m very tempted to go the spacer route to snatch up a good deal. I’m just barely dipping my toes into the TTB axle world and have a lot to learn so please excuse my ignorance lol.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Use of wheel spacers on a TTB F-150?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I guess you missed the email you were sent asking you to introduce yourself in the New Members Start Here folder before posting elsewhere.  We do ask that because we have the guidelines posted there and it is important that everyone have an opportunity to read them because everyone is held to them.

So before you post elsewhere, and before discussing spacers, please assure me you have read the guidelines.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

NZCOBRA
Wheel spacers , depending on type can be screwed to the wheel , then longer than normal lug nuts should go right through with about ⅛ gap to hub flange , also should have a center spigot . Cheers .
1986 F150 Lariat Supercab 302 efi , soon to have a 385 ci w , forged crank,king bearings , crower billet rods, Auto tech forged pistons world products Snr heads , Comp retro fit 35-421-8 HR, steel roller lifters , Milodon single idle gear drive , Mallory dual sync dissy ,Motec ECU , Profesional products intake , 75 mm TB , 40lb EV1  , Doug thorly Tri-y long tubes , Block 1974 with 1990 serpentine front drive  and new Motorcraft A/C pump , will put 3G alternator on it , ford racing diff cover and have a new track-loc , to fit .  I have converted it to a 5 speed Tremec TR4250 as the AOD died .
Reply | Threaded
|

Tunnelrat
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You are correct and I apologize, sorry for the confusion. I have read the guidelines and will make a introductory post in the proper area a little later today. Thank you :)