classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
22 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Upgraded my CB Setup

ratdude747
This week I upgraded my CB setup

Swapped the Cobra 18 WX ST I had been using for a used Cobra 25LTD Classic I bought for cheap and an Astatic mic I also bought for cheap (both required rework, but both were successes). The former unit resets to channel 9 on power-on, which for my setup (radio powered off ignition-controlled radio relay), was annoying. Not to mention the "classic" looks a lot more like the rest of my interior!

Wiring routed nice and cleanly:

The RG58 is connected to a right angle adapter. CB and head unit powered from an isolated power/ground, an ignition relay (CB and head unit ignition input), and external noise filter (CB only).

Used an existing harness, with the RG58 and radio/head unit isolated power wires snuck in through the same cable entry and routing path. Didn't have to drill the firewall!

Antenna is a bumper mounted 102" 1/4 wave whip:

I kinda cheated on the bumper. The left side plastic had been broken off since I bough the truck, but for performance and drive-thru accessibility reasons the whip needed to go on the right side. For some silly reason, Ford made the left and right trim pieces different.. but they only differ in the placement of one mounting stake, which I was able to correct with a utility knife. They're the same dimensions otherwise...

So far, it works well... SWR testing came back perfect (nothing registering on the reflection needle) once I replaced the RG58A cable in the antenna kit (which has a non-solderable shield, no good for user-soldered plugs) with a better quality NOS Radio Shack RG58 cable. If you route the cable I did (along the RH frame rail), about 23' of cable is needed for a comfortable run (although I am concerned about heat damage; when I removed the old cable routed slightly differently, the jacketing was scorched off where it was near the cats!).

Luckily it works with most drive-thru's around here. Most of them don't have awnings across the entire lane (antenna clears along the side), and the one that does has an 11'+ height (the top of the antenna is 10' 10" high). Only one that doesn't work is one lane at the local McDonalds (but only the "watch your height" bar is an issue) and the carport at my church (which can be driven around unless somebody parks the lane in as usual ). I do have a wrench and a 3/8x24 stainless bolt in the glove box in the event I need to take the whip down (whip fits diagonally in the bed).
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Upgraded my CB Setup

grumpin
Nice! I like the antenna. I’ve never tried one of the Astatic mics.

Have you considered an antenna hold down? I think this one gutter mounts. (Edit, I read the description, it is a gutter mount!)

https://www.wearecb.com/kalibur-k101x-cb-antenna-steel-whip-tie-down.html
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well done!  The installation looks sano and the CB looks period-correct.

On the RG-58 run, you could insulate it with some of the sleeve from here: https://www.delcity.net/store/T6-ThermaShield-Wrap/p_818140.h_807506.  Don't know that the one that comes up is the right size, but they have several sizes.  And you can put it on over the line.  I have it on my dip stick that is extremely close to the headers and it is surviving.

I like the antenna hold-down idea.  And, being plastic, can you still use the radio?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
You're a nicer guy than I am, I have my antenna mounted on the center edge of my toolbox, and it smacks everything. My truck also has an 8" lift, so that doesn't help. The antenna doesn't cause any damage though, and hasn't really bent too far out of shape.
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
grumpin wrote
Nice! I like the antenna. I’ve never tried one of the Astatic mics.

Have you considered an antenna hold down? I think this one gutter mounts. (Edit, I read the description, it is a gutter mount!)

https://www.wearecb.com/kalibur-k101x-cb-antenna-steel-whip-tie-down.html
I've heard they're nice... Found this one lightly used for $15 shipped on eBay. Only the seller listed as a 4 pin, it actually was a 5 pin. Thankfully, these mics are "universal" and I was able to solder on a new connector.

I have considered a hold down, didn't know where to get one. Might do that...

Gary Lewis wrote
Well done!  The installation looks sano and the CB looks period-correct.

On the RG-58 run, you could insulate it with some of the sleeve from here: https://www.delcity.net/store/T6-ThermaShield-Wrap/p_818140.h_807506.  Don't know that the one that comes up is the right size, but they have several sizes.  And you can put it on over the line.  I have it on my dip stick that is extremely close to the headers and it is surviving.

I like the antenna hold-down idea.  And, being plastic, can you still use the radio?
Might have to get some of that insulation... I do have a second length of RG58 (I bought a 50' NOS cable, and cut it in half) so if the one installed burns up, this will be my countermeasure.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by salans7
salans7 wrote
You're a nicer guy than I am, I have my antenna mounted on the center edge of my toolbox, and it smacks everything. My truck also has an 8" lift, so that doesn't help. The antenna doesn't cause any damage though, and hasn't really bent too far out of shape.
That cracks me up Shaun! I have a Wilson 1000 mag mount, it’s a 62 inch whip, had it on the roof of my truck for awhile. I thought that hit stuff!

Been thinking of putting it on my tool box. Get good swr’s with it.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
My 1995 ranger has a wilson 1000 (roof mounted) with a short-load whip. Once tuned, very good SWRs (effectively perfect, no reflection detected). I only have to take it down (swap for the rain cap) if doing a carwash or parking garage. Does catch super-low trees though.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/wilson-short-load-whip

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
In reply to this post by grumpin
grumpin wrote
salans7 wrote
That cracks me up Shaun! I have a Wilson 1000 mag mount, it’s a 62 inch whip, had it on the roof of my truck for awhile. I thought that hit stuff!

Been thinking of putting it on my tool box. Get good swr’s with it.
I sit right between 1 and 1.5 with my setup, and I tuned nothing. I imagine if I had a professional optimize my setup, I could be right at 1.

It's as dead center to the top as I can get the antenna.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
In reply to this post by ratdude747
ratdude747 wrote
My 1995 ranger has a wilson 1000 (roof mounted) with a short-load whip. Once tuned, very good SWRs (effectively perfect, no reflection detected). I only have to take it down (swap for the rain cap) if doing a carwash or parking garage. Does catch super-low trees though.

https://www.rightchannelradios.com/products/wilson-short-load-whip
That’s good to know about the short whip!
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
Nice, I had a reman modified Cobra with weather.  Worked great then near the end of the first year the thing just failed, I could receive but couldnt transmit.  Sent it back to Florida and had it fixed by the original builder.  Then another 6 months later the thing failed again this time it wouldnt even turn on.  Tried to see if I could send it back the builder refused stating he has too much work and he has ceased online orders/repairs.  So I tried to fix it myself with a new pot switch and it still didnt work so I upgraded to a Galaxy CB with side band.

Doesnt have the weather feature which I liked but at least it worked when I was still driving the truck.  Going to see if the model is still made going to buy another one cause sitting in the sun the sun bleached the red off my scale.  If not, they arent too hard I hear to swap the scale out but for the cost, I could just buy another one and get another warranty period lol.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I have a Cobra 29 WX NW ST that I got as a gift from my wife and kids years ago. It got funky on me and since it had sentimental value I sent it to Walcott for repair. It works fine, but it is what it is, which to me is 70’s to 80’s technology, made in China.

I have 2 President cb radios, an Andy, and a Bill. The Andy is ok, has a good speaker and is in my truck.

The Bill really impressed me, put it in my Xterra, with a 3 foot Firestik. Got it in and the swr set, and made a contact 5 miles away at a truck stop. He said it sounded great. What I really like about the President’s is the automatic squelch control. To get my Cobra to where I’m not getting static, I think is too squelched or not enough RF gain.

With the ASC, it’s set and I get good reception and no static. The Bill is a little thing with weather and plenty of features. Been thinking of getting another Bill to replace the Cobra in my Bronco. Only thing is the Bill has a small speaker, so I have it hooked to the aux in my stereo in the Xterra. I like it that way though.

But, the President’s are made in China too.

Edit, fix typo.

Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
The "old" radio (cobra 18 wx st) also had weather, albeit the obsolete kind (which was updated in the 18 wx st II, which is still a current model). Bought it for $30 NOS at a goodwill. Still have the original box. Only issues I had were the tuning resetting to channel 9 on powerup (as do most/all pushbutton/encoder tuned Cobra's), the unit picking up more ignition noise than the current unit (even with an extra filter and an isolated circuit, although I suspect my stock noise cap is toast), and somehow the mic jack getting bumped and snapping off two of the three switch/pot locknuts on the front panel (made from sintered potmetal it seems).

Looked at the president units mentioned... nah, I'd have to ditch my entire setup (since the mic also contains the channel switches) and honestly, the look is bit too modern for what I am going for (although the auto-squelch and built in USB charger are indeed handy features!).

I have $75 or so in the current unit ($40 used radio + $12 replacement Workman gauge + $10 new power harness (old one rotted) +$13 mounting bracket and knobs). With the mic (and the replacement plug) added on (radio didn't come with one) that puts me at about $100... $10 more than the president bill mentioned, but that's with an "upgraded" Astatic mic, not the "stock" mic that the president's come with. Or the same price as a new 25LTD with stock mic (which I happened to have one of from another radio not in use, but didn't really care for).
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
grumpin wrote
I have a Cobra 29 WX NW ST that I got as a gift from my wife and kids years ago. It got funky on me and since it had sentimental value I sent it to Walcott for repair. It works fine, but it is what it is, which to me is 70’s to 80’s technology, made in China.

I have 2 President cb radios, an Andy, and a Bill. The Andy is ok, has a good speaker and is in my truck.

The Bill really impressed me, put it in my Xterra, with a 3 foot Firestik. Got it in and the swr set, and made a contact 5 miles away at a truck stop. He said it sounded great. What I really like about the President’s is the automatic squelch control. To get my Cobra to where I’m not getting static, I think is too squelched or not enough RF gain.

With the ASC, it’s set and I get good reception and no static. The Bill is a little thing with weather and plenty of features. Been thinking of getting another Bill to replace the Cobra in my Bronco. Only thing is the Bill has a small speaker, so I have it hooked to the aux in my stereo in the Xterra. I like it that way though.

But, the President’s are made in China too.

Edit, fix typo.
Yep the main reason why I didnt toss mine was it was a remanufactured unit that Bells CB modified for me and I hated to toss the radio out considering the upgrades.  Was thinking about sending it out one day to be fixed properly and keep it as a back up incase I have to send my Galaxy out to be fixed then I could just simply swap them out.

The Galaxy I have is nice, I also picked up a couple of OE replacement meters which I hear are not hard to replace on the Galaxy just remove the bezel pop the glue loose that holds the meter in unplug and swap the new one in.  Going to do that once I finish the truck that way I wont have another meter with all the red bleached out by the sun.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
ratdude747 wrote
The "old" radio (cobra 18 wx st) also had weather, albeit the obsolete kind (which was updated in the 18 wx st II, which is still a current model). Bought it for $30 NOS at a goodwill. Still have the original box. Only issues I had were the tuning resetting to channel 9 on powerup (as do most/all pushbutton/encoder tuned Cobra's), the unit picking up more ignition noise than the current unit (even with an extra filter and an isolated circuit, although I suspect my stock noise cap is toast), and somehow the mic jack getting bumped and snapping off two of the three switch/pot locknuts on the front panel (made from sintered potmetal it seems).

Looked at the president units mentioned... nah, I'd have to ditch my entire setup (since the mic also contains the channel switches) and honestly, the look is bit too modern for what I am going for (although the auto-squelch and built in USB charger are indeed handy features!).

I have $75 or so in the current unit ($40 used radio + $12 replacement Workman gauge + $10 new power harness (old one rotted) +$13 mounting bracket and knobs). With the mic (and the replacement plug) added on (radio didn't come with one) that puts me at about $100... $10 more than the president bill mentioned, but that's with an "upgraded" Astatic mic, not the "stock" mic that the president's come with. Or the same price as a new 25LTD with stock mic (which I happened to have one of from another radio not in use, but didn't really care for).
That was a big reason I went with the Cobra 29 WX NW ST and had it modified with blue channel display and blue light for the meter to blend in with the blue interior lights.  I also had an echo board installed as well as having the internals calibrated for more power.

The Galaxy DX979 which is discontinued now I feel fits the truck better than the old Cobra 29.  It has a black face with stock blue lighting and all the text glows in a green color.  Whats nice about this one is it has a power knob so I can calibrate the power myself, I actually turned mine down to 2W output to not over drive my CB amp.

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
The Andy and the Adams don’t have the buttons on the mic, they’re 4 pins and you could use your Astatic mic.

I do like the mic channel buttons in my Xterra, because the radio is mounted on the passenger side of the center console, by the passengers knee. The Andy in my truck is mounted on the front of my center console and tilted towards me, easy to get to.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
Not saying it's a bad radio... more that I'm happy with what I have, so why spend the money?

---

All of my units are stock. Never been a fan of "peak & tune"... seen too many units blown up due to such.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
ratdude747 wrote
Not saying it's a bad radio... more that I'm happy with what I have, so why spend the money?

---

All of my units are stock. Never been a fan of "peak & tune"... seen too many units blown up due to such.
I agree on spending the money. Just pointing that out.

Also agree on peak and tune. And amps for more power. I just don’t think they’re necessary for a short range radio.

Actually thinking of pulling the radio out of my Bronco, by far the worst vehicle I’ve tried to get good swr’s in. Thinking it must be that fiberglass top.
Dane
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
ratdude747 wrote

---

Well you blow them up when you try to push them too hard.  My Cobra it was only tuned up a couple watts more than out of the box.  The Galaxy I am running at 2 watts which is half of the max output of the radio itself.  I could max it out but then that will over drive my amp and my amp isnt anything big.  Just a cheapie unit I picked up for $80 that at 2 watts input will put out around 200 watts output.  Well over enough for what I use it for.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
grumpin wrote
ratdude747 wrote

---

I agree on spending the money. Just pointing that out.

Also agree on peak and tune. And amps for more power. I just don’t think they’re necessary for a short range radio.

Actually thinking of pulling the radio out of my Bronco, by far the worst vehicle I’ve tried to get good swr’s in. Thinking it must be that fiberglass top.
I was able to get my swrs down quite well on my short center load antenna never tried to calibrate my 7 foot antenna since I cant use it around here with the power lines.

I also have been thinking of pulling the radio out as well just to clean the interior of the truck up a bit sort of like how I pulled the aftermarket tach out for a OE cluster with factory tach to clean the interior up some.
Reply | Threaded
|

AmericanSavage
This is great thread.  When I do the interior bench, I am going to add a CB—where to mount, and what ant. I have no idea at this point—but likely a Cobra with FM.  
1980 Ford XLT F350
400 Engine (rebuilt to 406)
Holley 2300 500 CFM manual Choke Carb
Under Restore (1st time)