Transmission swap

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transmission swap

Danny Thatcher
Hello all, New to this forum and had a question for you. I recently got my hands on a beautiful 1985 f250 with the 6.9 and only 94k original miles and with a 4 spd manual transmission. I have a 1989 f450 that has a 7.3 and a 5 spd manual transmission. Is it possible that the transmission from the 450 would swap over to the 250 fairly easy? I guess I should mention the 250 in a 4x4 and the 450 is a 2x2. Thank you all for any info and I'm happy to be a part of this forum! Appreciate y'all. -Danny
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission swap

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Danny - Glad you joined.  

But you might have missed the email I sent you asking that you go to the New Members Start Here folder, read the guidelines, and post an introduction there.  We ask that because that's where we keep the guidelines and want everyone to have had a chance to read them as we hold everyone to them.

Not to worry, many people seem to miss that step.  But please assure us you've read them.

As for the tranny, it'll fit but won't work.  The engines have the same bell housing bolt patterns.  But you can't bolt your transfer case to a 2wd transmission.  You need a 4wd transmission.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission swap

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If Danny's 1989 F-450 has rear discs then it would have a 4X4 gearbox with a parking brake attached where the transfer case adapter would normally bolt on.
It can bolt right to the adapter and has the correct amount of shaft stickout.

This vehicle would show F47 in the VIN and 14,000-16,000 GVW.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.