classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
36 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Transmission Crossmember Gussets 4x4

salans7
This post was updated on .
I'm looking for the transmission crossmember gussets for a 4x4 truck or Bronco. Preferably from a 1985 or 1986 truck or Bronco due to the unique crossmember style. If anybody has a parts truck laying around with the gussets shown below and you're willing to sell and ship them, please let me know. Thanks!

*EDIT* 1987-1996 gussets won't work. (See Below Thread)

Photo of what I need, credit to Gary:

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Transmission Crossmember 4x4

Rembrant
Shaun,

Have you tried Car-Part.com?

I just did and there seems to be lots of them showing up in Florida for $35 bucks. The pic below shows a bunch of 4x2 ones, but there's 4 pages of them and lots of 4x4 parts. What trans are you using?

1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Yes, everybody I have called says they won't sell that part as it is considered part of the frame.

I'm running a T19, and I know that the C6/T19/Crossmember is the same. Later in the 80's when they switched to the ZF and E4OD, the crossmembers changed again so I can only use a crossmember from 1985 to maybe 1988 or so. I could use an 80-84 crossmember as well, but the transmission mount is weird on those (bushings) hence why I prefer the newer style.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Still looking. My parts truck came with a cut up transmission crossmember, so I have the gussets and part of the crossmember itself, but would prefer to have an intact crossmember rather than piece the one I have together.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Subscribed and will see what I can find that is still easy to crawl under.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Thanks Scott!

It seems that the 1988 one I have pieces of is identical to the one in the photo above, so early bricknose crossmembers should work as well as long as they look like the one in the photo. I have the gussets, so I really only need the crossmember.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
You bet! Shoot me your cell in a pm/email if you want and if I find one I'll send you the details just for confirmation. Hoping to go to the jy in the morning if the weather is good.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Thanks Shaun for your cell.
Unfortunately I got to the jy on Saturday morning and was told by the front desk that they weren't letting anyone in the yard that day.
Will look for one the next time I go.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
kramttocs wrote
Thanks Shaun for your cell.
Unfortunately I got to the jy on Saturday morning and was told by the front desk that they weren't letting anyone in the yard that day.
Will look for one the next time I go.
No worries Scott, I'm in no rush.
Reply | Threaded
|

oldmansimek
I have several where are you located.  I almost always use the newer style that the drivers side bolts to the outside of the frame.
Ryan, CT

1981 F350 Regular cab shortbed compound turbo 12 valve Cummins 5 spd nv4500, original owner.  1984 f150 regular cab flareside SAS currently 460 zf5.  1986 f150 regular cab shortbed straight 6 zf5 4x4 a/c other then 5spd truck is all original from
California.  1985 F350 6.9 4x4 auto.  I have had over 20 of these trucks.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Cool!  You are going to fit right in.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Yes - this will be great for Shaun!
Seems like every time I've gone to the jy lately it's been muddy and now the thorns have started to claim ownership of the trucks.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
I believe I have found one locally. If that deal falls through, I will message you. Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hope it works out, Shaun.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Gary Lewis wrote
Hope it works out, Shaun.
Thanks, I've already worked out all of the details, just need to go pick it up on Saturday.
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
Well I picked up the crossmember, and it's in great shape. But I learned the hard way that ZF5 gussets won't work with the older style crossmember. I'm not willing to drill holes into the crossmember, so I'm hoping the guy who I bought the crossmember from still has the gussets lying around.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Bummer! Hope he does.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
He didn't. He bought the junkyard a few months ago as-is, and the crossmember was pulled prior to his ownership. He was nice enough to check under the truck as well, but they weren't there. I'll have to find them elsewhere. The crossmember is the important part, I can always modify the ZF gussets if need be.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Do the gussets just not line up right?  Big Blue's gussets didn't but I was able to get the bolts in and tightened down and the gussets "adjusted to fit".

Reply | Threaded
|

salans7
On the driver's side, one hole is 1" off. On the passenger side, the holes aren't even close. I'll investigate it more tomorrow to see what my options are. I knew ZF5 crossmembers were different, and should have figured the gussets are too. When I compare what's left of the ZF5 crossmember I have to the crossmember I picked up today, you can tell the ZF5 crossmember angles back further. And so do the gussets.