Tire rub

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
40 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Tire rub

snakebite8
Having some major issues with tire rubbing.  I had to take off my Fr500 rims and tires because the fronts rubbed with even The slightest bump.  The rears hit with large bumps.  I replaced the fronts with small 15” rims and tires and they don’t stick out as far as the Fr500 and they r even hitting.  I can’t enjoy the truck at all.  It was lowered when I bought it.  I did replace the shocks in the front and rear with aftermarket gas shocks that r for lowered trucks for my year and model.  Any idea what can be the issues?
Joe from NJ. 1985 F150 shortbed with 4.9 and its a stick. Put some Black FR500's on it. 17X9 upfront and 17X10.5 in the back.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Tire rub

Gsmblue
Do you have any pics? I am sure that would help people understand what you are going through.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
In reply to this post by snakebite8
Might wanna check if the previous owner removed the bump stops.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Hopefully I get out of work early enough to look under the truck and take some pics to show everyone.  
Joe from NJ. 1985 F150 shortbed with 4.9 and its a stick. Put some Black FR500's on it. 17X9 upfront and 17X10.5 in the back.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
    Got home late so I am sorry that the pics r not great.  
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
let's see what the problem could be. the pics are helpful. I have lowered many of these from 85-92. I usually use the djm " dream beams" as they are the best I have found. my opinion! I may ask for a couple more pics as we go along.  it looks as if some aftermarket I beams are installed but more concerning to me is the springs. they don't look factory. how lowered did the previous owner claim ?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
looking more closely. I believe that you have the drop beams from djm but was distracted by the rust. not as much of a problem here. plus, my customs barely see rain while I have them.  the ones that you have are correct for the 85/86. I normally opt for the 94 set and use 94/96 spindles to get the better brake option. not the point here. however, your springs look to have been modified. the normal fitment of the springs in the top spring seat (bucket) with the j shaped retainer and 1/2"wrench bolt does not have rubber hose wrapped around it. I suspect they were cut to lower it further.  djm beams lower the truck 3" by themselves but I often adjust that back to 2-1/2" if needed but I have done stagger on custom trucks often also.
do you have any pics of the rear? specifically right above the axle and the front spring hangers.
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the normal spring height measurement "loaded" should be approx. 13". call me crazy but guessing from the pictures, yours is about 11". it was bugging me that you said that you have the correct shocks for a lowered truck. djm beams offset the spindle pivot position but leaves all else stock so to not compromise handling and ride quality. I think the previous owner wanted this one "in the weeds' at all costs.
this is often done by cutting 2" out of the big end of the coil spring then using drop shocks. that's just where we start. then we have to look at the alignment because "collapsing" a spring will increase the negative camber greatly and cause offset bushings to be required to correct.
replace springs with correct factory units for the engine and options. buy good factory fit shocks. have a good alignment done.
 I'm still curious as to the rear especially if it was "level". that could mean that it was "c notched" for Clearence and then an axle flip which alone is a 5" drop
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
People owned it before did not lower it.  The person before them did and he passed away.  They told me the springs r stock so I was only going by what they told me.   I guess ordering set is in order.  Rear is not notched.  And the front does sit a little lower then the front.  Person did flip the rear.  I’ll post more pics
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
please get some measurements and study a little more well before deciding to order parts. I'm happy to compare measurements with one that I still have here in the shop for a few more days.
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Will do.  I’ll try to get underneath it this Saturday.   Thank u
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
since the rear isn't notched, it is likely that the bump stops have been removed to allow more "ride" without feeling the bump stops at every bump. i do not do axle flips for this among other reasons. i do lower some trucks but not to the point where being a truck goes out the window.
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
 might help a little. Here r some pics of when the bed was off
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8
Reply | Threaded
|

snakebite8