|

Tips & Techniques: Fuel & Exhaust

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
Everything in, and out of your engine.
(air intake too)
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Tips & Techniques: Fuel & Exhaust

1983Toad
any suggestions on a better carb for a 4.9l?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As far as I know there is only one carb that is a bolt-on for the 4.9L, and is the Carter YF or YFA.  But what are you trying to accomplish?  Is your engine running poorly?  Or are you looking for more power?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
yes, the reason for a different carb is the big question. not many options unless you are willing to do a conversion of sorts. both Offenhauser and Clifford make intake manifolds to do 2, 4, and twin 2 carbs but every time you change something the project can grow. if it's not running well, it can be rebuilt or replaced much more simply.   my 300 I just leave alone and keep it maintained. too reliable to mess with.
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
mat in tn wrote
yes, the reason for a different carb is the big question. not many options unless you are willing to do a conversion of sorts. both Offenhauser and Clifford make intake manifolds to do 2, 4, and twin 2 carbs but every time you change something the project can grow. if it's not running well, it can be rebuilt or replaced much more simply.   my 300 I just leave alone and keep it maintained. too reliable to mess with.
The intakes can be hard to come by for the above carbs and are pricy if you can find them.

my 300 I just leave alone and keep it maintained. too reliable to mess with.
The same here .... well I did go with EFI exh manifolds and stock 94 pipes on back.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100