1234 ... 6
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Deuce Build Thread

Pete Whitstone
This post was updated on .
Hi All,

This thread is to document some of the work I'm doing on my 81 F150 Flareside. I bought the truck about 2 years ago and have been addressing various issues (many times with the much-needed help of this forum so thanks) ever since.

The reason I call the truck The Deuce is because it is (for now) my second truck, and because it looks like doo-doo. My current DD is a 2006 F150 with 160k on it. When that truck goes for whatever reason, the 81 will take its place from then on. I don't intend to ever buy another truck, I want a truck that I can fix whatever goes wrong with it, and I don't want truck payments in perpetuity.

Anyhow, when I picked up the truck a couple years ago, it was in odd shape. Rough on the one hand, as it hadn't been driven for a couple years, and had a very rough running I6 300 in it, and a C4 without reverse. But aside from those rough points, it had all new gas tank, brake lines, etc., so it was someone's pet project very recently. Not the guy I bought it from, however. He had had it about a year and hadn't done much to it. It was advertised for sale by his wife. According to her, he had bought it "for her", as a project to fix up. She had no interest, so it was for sale... Yeah, I remember when I was 8, I bought my mother a model airplane for her birthday... good times.

A VIN check on the truck showed it was born with a 351W/C6 combo, and that's what I wanted anyway, so when I picked up the truck, I also picked up a running engine/trans from a guy that had plucked it out of a motor home.

I took a week off work to do the swap, not knowing much about these trucks. When it came time to lower the V8 onto the mounts, I saw that the I6 engine perches did not line up with the mounting bolts of the V8. I tried to find some V8 engine perches, but couldn't really find any info about them (I don't think I knew about this forum at the time). So I assumed they were the same as the I6 perches, just a bit taller. So I got out the welder and converted the I6 perches to fit the V8, not knowing that the V8 perches were behind the K member. So now my engine sits a bit high and a bit too far forward, which I'll address going forward.

The truck was in pretty terrible shape from a wiring perspective. I noticed there were waaayyyy more wires running around the engine bay than an early 80's truck should have. I traced a bunch of them to an unconnected Ford engine computer under the dash. Dunno what it was for, the I6 that was in there was carbed, so apparently at one point there was a fuel injected engine in there. The wiring that was left after that was highly questionable so I ended up either rerunning the factory wiring, or just running new wiring, but still trying to use the factory wire color scheme, so as not to confuse myself too much in the future.

After the engine swap, I did a bunch of other work to the truck, including:

- Electric fans - https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/My-81-flareside-is-going-electric-td60503.html
- Headers, exhaust
- Edelbrock carb, Weiand intake
- Suspension bushings
- New sensors
- New gauges and gauge panel - https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/New-instrumentation-for-my-81-td64519.html
- New shocks
- Alternator upgrade
- Running a 4 flat trailer wiring harness
- Complete interior redo - https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/81-Interior-makeover-td90007.html#a90027
- Stereo, amp, speakers
- Brakes including new MC

And probably a million things I am forgetting. I put about a thousand miles on the truck in that format, mostly around town.

One of my long-term goals for the truck was to convert it to 4WD, so I had been keeping an eye on FB marketplace for a suitable donor vehicle. About 6 months ago, I came across a 95 in extremely rough shape. The poor thing had been used for extensive target practice. In addition to that abuse, there was a really poorly executed air bag system on the back end. There were no usable parts on it at all, except for the drivetrain, but that's fine, that's what I needed. I paid $400 for it and dragged it home.

I spent about a month harvesting parts off that, which included:

- 351W Hydraulic roller motor
- E4OD trans
- BW 1356 transfer case
- Dana 44 front diff
- Front & rear springs
- Front & rear antiroll bars
- V8 engine perches

It now reposes behind my shop. Maybe with the high price of steel I should see if someone will drag it away.

Anyhow, I have spent the last few months breaking down the harvested suspension parts, cleaning, painting and powder coating them. And sourcing new parts for rebuilding those pieces. I am thinking the springs on the donor truck may not have been stock. The fronts are painted red, which I doubt came from the Ford factory that way. And the rears have a bushing size on one end that does not appear to match the normal 95 bushing size.

Anyhow, for about the last 4 weeks, I have had the truck torn apart getting the new 4x4 suspension on there. I am nearing completion I think. The back is done, and it sits a few inches higher that I thought it would, but I'm liking the stance.

I chose to re-use the 9" rear, rather than the 8.8" out of the 95. This means that when I go to actually hook up the 4WD I will have to change the ratio - it currently has 3.08:1 (or maybe 3.00:1, can't remember). It will have to be changed to 3:55:1 to match the Dana 44 in the front. But that's for another phase of the project, for now I'm glad the shallower gearing is in there, I need all the help on gas mileage I can get.

I am now working on the front end. Problems with that didn't take long to manifest themselves. At some point the truck had taken a fairly hard bash from something low on the road.

The rest of the truck is unscathed, but the front of the K member took a big impact and bent it backwards at some point. No big deal for the 2WD stuff that was in there, it still fit because it's smaller. The 4WD stuff however, would not even come close to fitting. I considered swapping in the K member from the donor truck, but after reviewing the number of factory rivets, and remembering the fun I had removing the rear spring perches, I decided that was not a good plan. Instead, I went with another not good plan - bending the K member back. Lots of oxygen/acetylene and a large hammer and bottle jack later, I had massaged it roughly back into its original configuration. More importantly, there were no project-ending fires. Not saying there were NO fires... just no project-ending ones.

After the heating/beating/bending was done.

Then I could proceed with the reassembly of the suspension, which now sported all new everything - seals, U joints, ball joints, etc. Here is where it is at right now.

The other project going on now is the installation of some step bars that I bought from LMC. After reviewing the totally inscrutable instructions, I came to the conclusion that these probably didn't fit flareside trucks. So I spent the weekend fabbing up bracketry to attach them to the frame. That probably worked out better anyway, since the stock bracketry seemed to want to put them about an inch below the door opening. You have to step 2 feet up, and these are helpfully placed 22.5 inches up... great. So I was able to move them a few inches down, and maybe a little outwards as well. Pictures of that when that project is complete.

81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Deuce Build Thread

Pete Whitstone
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - A quick response as I await the start of No Time To Die.

Rotate the pics in an app and save them with a new name. It remembers the old name and won’t reload.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
OK I think I understand how to get photos to post upright now, so getting rid of all the experimental photo uploads in this post.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Pete - Sorry, I missed your question about freeware.  But it looks like you figured it out.

GSMBlue - Can I move your post to the new thread entitled Discussion On How To Properly Orient & Size Pictures.

Pete - Once I do that and delete my posts you may want to clean up or delete some of yours to get this thread sorted out.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Gary Lewis wrote
GSMBlue - Can I move your post to the new thread entitled Discussion On How To Properly Orient & Size Pictures.
Yes sir! I should have mentioned to select a size under 1mb, but you got that covered :)
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Pete Whitstone
Well I got the drivers side front hub reassembled without too much trouble. The little diagram I was working from was not super-clear on some things, but I found that most things only fit together one way where it was unclear. I did run into some questions along the way, though.

1. After I finished assembly, I read that they keyslot on the hub is supposed to be on top. I didn't know that and mine is at the 10 o'clock position. Does it matter? Is it worth taking it all back apart again?

2. Couldn't find a reliable torque spec on the 5 nuts holding the hub on. I saw one thing that said 35-40 lb ft, that seemed pretty light to me so I tightened them quite a few ugga-duggas beyond that. Anybody got that number handy?

3. Wisdom of loctite on those 5 nuts? I'm guessing the factory did not use any.

Thanks in advance!
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
The specs on the spindle nuts, which I think is what you are asking about are: Install and tighten the spindle attaching nuts to 68-81 N-m (50-60 ft-lbs).

The instructions are on the Front Axles & Differentials tab on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.  But the torque specs aren't in the table at the end of the chapter like they should be.  Instead they are in the text.  

And I'm surprised that you could get it on with the groove in the wrong place.  Did you swap sides?  I don't think it really matters though.

And Loctite won't hurt.  May not help, but it won't hurt.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Loctite will help.  
It will keep water and oxygen out of the threads (it is an anerobic, after all)

I've never seen a rusty thread that was installed with Loctite.
Probably won't help any threads protruding on the back. But it can't ever seize.

Even the pipe sealant will seal out corrosion while lubricating and not substantially increasing breakaway torque.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good point, Jim.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
The specs on the spindle nuts, which I think is what you are asking about are: Install and tighten the spindle attaching nuts to 68-81 N-m (50-60 ft-lbs).
No, I was asking about the 5 nuts that hold the hub, or snout on. The thing that the wheel bearings go on. The thing I had so much fun removing. I guessed at 70 lb ft, then I found a spec in a Haynes manual that was 60, so I'm not too far off.

Gary Lewis wrote
The instructions are on the Front Axles & Differentials tab on the page at Documentation/Driveline/Axles & Differentials.  But the torque specs aren't in the table at the end of the chapter like they should be.  Instead they are in the text.  
I know you have a lot of documentation on this site, but I haven't learned to navigate it very well yet. Thanks for the pointer!

Gary Lewis wrote
And I'm surprised that you could get it on with the groove in the wrong place.  Did you swap sides?  I don't think it really matters though.
I didn't find any slots or keyways or grooves or anything that would have prevented mounting it in any of the 5 possible orientations. I'll have to take a closer look at the passenger side, which is still in pieces.

Any thoughts on what bad things might happen if I leave it like it is?

The only reason I could think of for any orientation was if they built some camber into the piece, but it does not look like they did. Maybe something to do with the 4WD?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I'm confused.  I'm not sure what you mean by "snout".  Here's a diagram that might help us:

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Gary Lewis wrote
I'm confused.  I'm not sure what you mean by "snout".  Here's a diagram that might help us:
Ah good call. I'm not all that familiar with factory terms. The part I'm talking about in that diagram is the "Spindle - 3105".
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Then I don't see any problem with the groove being other than at the top.

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
OK got the truck mostly back together. I say mostly because a couple of the steering pieces had a hole for a zerk fitting, but no zerks were included. No problem, I'll just get some off the shelf... no. I have a bunch of the 1/4-28 and a couple of the M6, but they were both too big. I'm guessing maybe it's a mini-zerk but I can't find the thread specifications on those. My dial caliper says the hole is about 0.190. Guess I'll have to get a couple and see if they go in.

After setting the toe and driving the truck a bit, I got back under it to inspect things, and found that the driver side swingarm bolt, which is installed nut to the back, had left a mark on the passenger side axle shaft. So I either need to cut off the end of the bolt, or just pull it out and reverse it.

The new ball joints and steering pieces took almost all the slop out of the steering, and the suspension feels pretty well planted. The sway bar in the rear helps in the corners. The ride is stiffer than it used to be, but it's not harsh.

I haven't been able to get a great measurement on where the camber landed, but it looks like the driver side is very close to zero, and the passenger side may even be slightly on the negative side. I'll take that.

I also finished installing the step bars, which required a bunch of custom bracketry. If the LMC site warned that they don't work with flaresides, I totally missed that. But I made it all work.

I do like the stance with the 4wd suspension under it.

Next up, rebuilding the E4OD from the 95.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Good progress, and progress is good!  

Cool that the camber seems to have sorted itself out.  

I, too, like the stance.

Are you going to do the tranny rebuild?  Hope you are going to document it.

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Gary Lewis wrote
Are you going to do the tranny rebuild?  Hope you are going to document it.
Yes, I am going to tackle the tranny rebuild I've never done one before, so it should be interesting. I probably wouldn't have the courage to do it, but I found a YouTube series by a company called The Transmission Bench. They offer master rebuild kits that have everything you need, and then they show you in the videos step by step how to install everything - pretty much in excruciating detail, the E4OD instructional is about 16 hours long I think. I've already watched it all the way through once, to see what I was getting into. It seems simple enough, once you see the video.

So with that level of documentation out there, no I probably won't document my build, it would never be as detailed and good as what's already out there. And it would take a lot of time to document properly. Instead I'll just say to watch the Transmission Bench videos if you have an interest in rebuilding your automatic.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That makes sense. But make sure you give us the link.

Also, you could document the choices you make, if any, on the level of parts. By that I mean, will you go with a stock torque converter or one that’s beefed up?  Clutches? Etc.

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
Well I have dived in to rebuilding the E4OD from the 95 donor truck. Feeling confident so far, the disassembly is going well. Have bought 1 special tool and built 2 more. The bought one is the black press-looking thing in the left of this photo, sitting on the table. About $65, it is used for compressing the springs found in some clutch packs. You have to compress the springs in order to be able to safely remove the snap ring/circlip thingee that holds the whole pack together. One of the built ones is the 2x4 stand under the table. The third tool is pretty simple, just some threaded rod and iron bars, I don't have it assembled yet.

The box on the left under the table contains all new guts for the transmission. Since I'm still in disassembly, I don't have anything in there out yet.

This shot shows the trans partially disassembled.

The valve body area has been taken apart, then the trans put on the stand so the internals can start to come out. The third tool is needed for the first step of that, which removes the pump that is immediately behind the torque converter. Once that's out, disassembly should go pretty quick. I'm hoping to get most of this done over the weekend, but I am still waiting on some parts for the valve body area (the part the pan covers). And if I find any broken parts inside the trans, I will need to replace those as well. The truck was not in driving condition when I got it, so I don't know if it was parked because of trans issues, or other issues. I might be taking apart a perfectly fine transmission, but it's still got 162k mi on it, so it's time for a rebuild anyway.

So far the costs have been pretty reasonable. The master rebuild kit, which includes a shift kit, was about $500. There is an electronic solenoid pack that controls the transmission, which was another $500 or so. Then less than $100 into special tools. I got the master rebuild kit from a company called The Transmission Bench. When you buy a kit, they also give you a flash drive with a series of highly detailed classroom instructions that walk you through the rebuild. The videos are also available on YouTube.

More to come.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Cool! Thanks for documenting this!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
1234 ... 6