Supercab Rear Passenger Window Removal

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Supercab Rear Passenger Window Removal

fryntrz
Does anyone have some insight on removing the supercab passenger windows?  I have a new windshield removal tool coming to attempt removal from the interior.  Not much room for error and it will be a delicate task as I don’t want to damage the rubber gasket that sits between the glass and sheet metal.  I don’t really recall ever seeing replacements from the usual parts sources either when I think about it.  

Bryan
1985 F-150 2wd frame off restomod underway, 460ci/TKO600 swapped
Instagram: @fryntrz
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Supercab Rear Passenger Window Removal

kramttocs
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I looked at them when I was gutting my cab and was thinking a paddle wedge tool pushed in from the inside then worked around would pop it out. Would be a slow process. I opted to leave them (glass, not trim) in place though so never tried it.
Subscribed to see how it works out for you.

I haven't seen replacements either. Speaking of - if you end up having them tinted, talk to the shop about how they trim them. The first shop that did mine did a terrible job and to put it mildly, I was not happy about it. Ended up having a second shop clean them up and re-tint. Just a heads up.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Go to Documentation/Body/STATIONARY GLASS - WEATHERSTRIP SEAL.  That section from the factory shop manual should help.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz

Thanks Gary!  The diagram helps a lot.
Bryan
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
  The hardware store in my home town had the motto of "Yes, we have it".  And I like to think that's our motto here.  But sometimes you have to ask the librarian where it is.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
First day off and my windshield removal tool came a day early so I gave one side a shot.  After finding that diagram from Gary, I left the tool on the bench out of fear of damaging the window gasket.  

I pushed off the exterior moulding using the studs in a criss crossing sequence.  It took a bit of coaxing breaking the stud grasp from the tape but it popped eventually.

I used a heat gun on the sheet metal at the bottom of the window from the inside, and used a 45* trim tool in the two corners to work it away.  After the bottom was opened up, I was able to pull with one hand and push with the other around the B pillar.  Wasn’t too bad, quicker than I thought!  I put work gloves on since I was handling glass, luckily the tape never stuck and aided the process. My tape ball grew as I used it to pull itself off the window assembly and cab.

I couldn’t find a part number on the assembly, but pulled it up later.  I only found one side online NOS, if I could land the pair I would jump on them.

Bryan
Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
In reply to this post by kramttocs
Thanks for the heads up about the tint.  Even though I’m a long ways out from it, tint is something I’ve been dreading.  Very few older vehicles around so I’d be relying on the professional hand to figure out the rear quarter and vent window glass - I’m not confident the skill set is here locally.  The interior trim won’t hide much for edges either.  I have also come across laser cut bullnose kits online, if I can find it in a quality film I’ll attempt that myself.  

kramttocs wrote
I looked at them when I was gutting my cab and was thinking a paddle wedge
tool pushed in from the inside then worked around would pop it out. Would be
a slow process. I opted to leave them in place though so never tried it.
Subscribed to see how it works out for you.

I haven't seen replacements either. Speaking of - if you end up having them
tinted, talk to the shop about how they trim them. The first shop that did
mine did a terrible job and to put it mildly, I was not happy about it.
Ended up having a second shop clean them up and re-tint. Just a heads up.
Bryan
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by fryntrz
Well done!  And good pictures with explanations will help the next person that does that.  Thanks!

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Nice work!
In case you are wanting to replace the nuts: http://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/Supercab-Rear-Quarter-Window-Nuts-tp39696.html
If you need a replacement or spare, you might have luck at a jy. One of my quarter window trim pieces had a dent in the center bar so replaced it with a jy one.

Since you have your glass portion out you are in good shape for having it tinted. I'd think they/you would be able to slightly lift up the rubber around the glass and tuck the film under it. Not sure if the glass can be removed entirely without stretching the rubber too much or not.
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Ray Cecil
This is exactly the thread I needed to read. I didn't realize I needed to remove the interior panels to get these bezels off. Thanks!!

1988 F250 Supercab Longbed 7.3 IDI, C6, 1356, GEARVENDORS, 4.10 Sterling with autolocker

1986 F150 302, C6, 9" 2.75, Wood Flatbed

Reply | Threaded
|

fryntrz
Glad it helps!
Bryan