Storage bin ideas?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
13 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Storage bin ideas?

HBF84

Well, most of my miles were out on HBF before cell phones were a thing (or at least before I had one.)  And, come to think of it, long before the internet became something that common where you could find all the data about a Bullnose and YouTube videos on how to fix them.

Anyhow, I’m looking to see what folks use the dashboard storage box (#44) for… too small for my cell phone.  When I put a blue tooth speaker in there, it alters the sound too much.  

Has anyone built something into the space?
1984 F-150 2wd short bed with 4.9L, 4 speed overdrive manual transmission, and 3.08 rear end (18) switched to the 3.55 limited slip (H9).
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Storage bin ideas?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Jein.  I designed it but haven't used it yet.  It'll go in Dad's truck.  And you can see the plans for it on the website at Documentation/About Me Contact Me/Projects/Gauge Pocket.

On that page I said:

But, in the above picture, just above and to the left of the aftermarket gauges, you can see what I call the "iPhone pocket".  I called it that when I was carrying a 4S as it was a perfect fit in that pocket.  But, when I upgraded I discovered that the phone won't fit.  So, what to do with that pocket?  How about placing the gauges there?  Well, after a lot of research I found that only the small gauges, like shown above, will have any chance of fitting, and even then only two will fit.  Not to worry, I'm converting the ammeter in Dad's truck to a voltmeter so will only need two - the oil pressure and water temp gauges.

There are drawings on that page if anyone wants to make that piece, and I'd think that doing so with a 3D printer would be easy.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Pete Whitstone
In reply to this post by HBF84
Well it's kind of specific to what I did to my truck, but I converted it to 4x4 using a '95 donor truck. That truck controlled the transfer case electronically, so I used the right half of the cubby for the 4x4/low range switch.

There's still enough room to the left of it to store a pair of sunglasses, but I find that anything I put in there slides out, it's too horizontal. It would be helpful if it slanted down more.

I am about to use up even more space there to put in a transmission O/D lockout switch.
81 F150 Flareside, Edelbrock Pro Flow4 FI, hydraulic roller 351W, E4OD, 4x4, BW1356
92 F150 RCLB 351W E40D BW1356 mostly stock
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I have the house garage door opener in the hole.
The PO had a no slip open weave mat cut to fit the cubby and the opener stays put.

The cell phone just sets on the seat next to me.
If I need to use Google Maps it still stays on the seat facing up and the sound turned up.
I dont need to look at it all the time as if it was in front of me just when the next turn is in miles and the name of the road.

If I need to I have a BT head set I use for work when driving and it will tell me what it displays.
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

MattK
I really like RAM mounts.  There are some great Cell phone holders they have.  I use the xmount with a ball on my dash.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN10B
Matt & Laura (East Wentachee, WA)

Our Ford Family:
1983 Bronco: Restomod in progress.  I-6 4.9L with NP435 being swapped with ZF42.
1966 Mustang: Stock restoration with Inline 6
2000 F350 Crew Cab Superduty DRW:  4x4, 7.3 with DP tuner, S&B intake, 4" turbo back, and bellowed up-pipes.
2015 Expedition XL: 4x4, 3.5-liter twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
MattK wrote
I really like RAM mounts.  There are some great Cell phone holders they have.  I use the xmount with a ball on my dash.
https://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-HOL-UN10B
WOW almost $80 just to stick the phone on the glass!
On the seat is free and works just fine for me.
When driving I am driving not looking at my phone.
What did people do before cell phones?

Even my DD the phone sits in a cubby down low in the center console where I cant see it.
If it rings in either truck I dont pick it up till I am stopped.

As a CLD driver if we are seen with a phone in our hand it is a large fine from the police / DOT and the safety dept. can see on the cameras in the trucks if we look at a phone when moving.
The new cameras, AI sensing, even talk to you and 3 strikes and you get a call from safety.

Maybe I am to old and just dont care about the phone needed to be in my face all the time
Dave ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
In the past, before restoring Big Brother, I kept there four bolts used to pin my ATV ramps to the rear bumper.  I knew I could find them there, at their place.  Well, when not lying on the floor, since this compartment has no door and isn’t really reliable.  Maybe a pocket Kleenex pack would be more stable in it.

More seriously, I decided to look over the web, so I googled for you and spy about other guys usage.

Some of them obviously use that hole, but pixelated pictures do not allow good identification:

Sorry!  I tried  really hard!

Jeff / 1984 F350 Crew Cab 4x4/5.8L w351 4V/ T18/ D50 4.10 front/ 8' bed.
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
“ Maybe a pocket Kleenex pack would be more stable in it.”

Funny, I have allergies and that’s what I used mine for!
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
I used mine for a TPMS receiver:

1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
I like it!
Restored 2019-2022.
Nicknamed «Big Brother 1984», due to its soooo-looong shape & nod to George Orwell's 1984 famous novel.
Reply | Threaded
|

Machspeed
Administrator
This is a great topic and one I have thought about several times over the years. If I had a 3D printer, I'd make a tray to slide in there that would securely hold change and other small things. Add a nice colorful script to the outside such as "Ford Trucks", etc. Possibly adhere a phone charger to the outside of it such as the one linked below. I need to look into this 3D printer technology.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Y616KWX/?coliid=IV7L9IQD9A5IY&colid=1RQN2U4NUJ1K&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it
John

"Blackie" - 1986 F150 4x4 - Mildly warmed over 351W HO - Original owner
Reply | Threaded
|

BigBrother-84
Wow, good idea, love it!

Would be nice that this little compartment could finally find its purpose, capable to retain its contents correctly.

I want one!
Restored 2019-2022.
Reply | Threaded
|

myrl883
I put a small trailer brake controller in mine. I think it looks better there than hanging under the dash.
Ford Parts Monkey since 1985
1981 F100 Flareside - Black, 302-4V Roller/AOD
1986 F150 Flareside - Medium Fire Red 302/AOD
1989 F150 Standard Cab 4x4 - Dk Shadow Blue 302/AOD
1993 F350 4x4 Crew Cab - 7.3 IDI/ZF-5
I think it's a sickness...