9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Speed Control - Throttle Linkage

ckuske
Administrator
Hi All,

It has been on my list to investigate why Speed (Cruise) Control hasn't been working on my truck since purchasing it back.  Well, I think the problem is pretty simple.  I don't seem to have the fitting that lets the ball chain get attached to the throttle via a cotter pin.  I tried to look in the MPC and when I search for the throttle cable, I can't see the item circled below that the speed control chain would thread through.  

Any pointers on what I should be looking for?  When I search for replacement cables, I don't see that item present on them either...

Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Speed Control - Throttle Linkage

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Interesting!  The base part number shown of 7A758 is wrong.  How do I know?  First, because that # doesn't show in the MPC.  Second, because that is the throttle cable and you can see higher on the page that it is actually 9A758.  Close, but no cigar.

So I pulled out my three throttle cables to see what they look like.  As you can see in the pic on the left, at first blush it looks like I have three styles.  But upon closer inspection there are only two styles - the green one with the speed control connection built in, and the other style with the piece that snaps on.

So I looked in the MPC and I found the illustration on the left, below, showing that the piece is 9C876.  And the screenshot on the right shows the part numbers.  I don't know which part number mine is, but I think it is probably the E1 version, which should be right for your truck if the throttle cable is original.  Send me a message and it is yours if you want it.  And if you send the message via the forum click the box to copy yourself as it will look like the message doesn't go, but it probably will and this way you'll know.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
In reply to this post by ckuske
I have my speed control compatible OEM throttle cable on the work bench, I will get some pics for you after work today.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

Gsmblue
Ah,

Gary already got it! I have the version on the far right with the clip on for speed control.
1985.5 F-150 XL Explorer standard cab 5.0 EFI AOD 4x4
Daily Driver. We call her Eunice the Ute.

1982 Bronco XLT Lariat 351W AOD 4x4
Code name Esperanza, or Espy to her friends. Please see my Project thread for the blow by blow.

1984 F-350 XL Centurion crew cab 460 T19 4x4
"Eylza Dual-little"
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks to you both!

I know the cable isn't original as it snapped on me about 22 years ago now(!) about 1/4 mile from home, but I'm hoping the E1 clip will still work with this different cable.  

Either way, I think it's my only shot and is an easier fix than trying to find the green version in Gary's picture.
Chris

'84 F-150 XL 2WD Flareside, 302 w/ AOD transmission, Motorcraft 2150 feedback carb w/ CA Emissions, EEC-IV w/TFI, factory A/C, speed control - Info about me and my truck - My project thread
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Chris - I have an aftermarket cable that says "Made in Israel", and the clip snaps on it.  So I'm pretty sure it'll fit yours.

I got your email and will get it out soonest.  I have several things to send to various people so will get them gathered out and out.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Rusty_S85
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
Interesting!  The base part number shown of 7A758 is wrong.  How do I know?  First, because that # doesn't show in the MPC.  Second, because that is the throttle cable and you can see higher on the page that it is actually 9A758.  Close, but no cigar.

So I pulled out my three throttle cables to see what they look like.  As you can see in the pic on the left, at first blush it looks like I have three styles.  But upon closer inspection there are only two styles - the green one with the speed control connection built in, and the other style with the piece that snaps on.

So I looked in the MPC and I found the illustration on the left, below, showing that the piece is 9C876.  And the screenshot on the right shows the part numbers.  I don't know which part number mine is, but I think it is probably the E1 version, which should be right for your truck if the throttle cable is original.  Send me a message and it is yours if you want it.  And if you send the message via the forum click the box to copy yourself as it will look like the message doesn't go, but it probably will and this way you'll know.

My truck has factory cruise and it has the black plastic clip.  I actually bought a new one as I was afraid I might actually break it as mine has a roll pin to lock the bead chain in place and not a clip which is what I will be using on the new one to make adjustment easy.  I dont have the part number at hand as that is tossed in my tote bin with the rest of my engine parts still waiting to be used.
"Old Blue" - '56 Fairlane Town Sedan - 292-4V, Ford-O-Matic transmission, 3.22:1
'63 Belair 2dr sdn - 283-4V, Powerglide transmission, 4.56:1
'78 Cougar XR7 - 351-2V, FMX transmission, 2.75:1 9inch
"Bruno" - '82 F150 Flareside - 302-2V, C6 transmission, 2.75:1 9inch, 31x10.50-15 BFG KO2
Reply | Threaded
|

ckuske
Administrator
Thanks to you both for the replies.  Gary, I just wanted to follow up and let you know the clip you sent me fit like a glove!  Thanks much for the part and your generosity!

Chris
Chris

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Glad it worked, Chris.