classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
73 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Snorkel For Big Blue?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I know that many of you don't follow Big Blue's Transformation, and I don't blame you at all because of how long it has been going on.  But I'm looking for as much input as I can get on this so am starting a separate thread.

My son and I are getting ready to take Big Blue overlanding where we'll have a number of water crossings.  And given that the bottom of the current air inlet is in the middle of the grille and is only 36" off the ground, I fear that we'll pull water into the engine.  

So in the Transformation thread we are discussing options.  If you want to join that discussion please do so.  But I would consider a true snorkel, meaning one that comes through the fender and goes up the windshield, although I cannot find one that appears to fit.

Part of the issue is that few, if any, make a snorkel for a Bullnose truck.  But worse is that Big Blue has the later EFI system.  So I need one that fits the Bullnose fender shape but attaches to the EFI filter box.  It would be something like the pic on the left, below, but be reversed to fit on the driver's fender like shown on the right.  And the horizontal part will have to be ~36" long as the center of the air filter box is 33" forward of the front edge of the windshield.

Do any of you know of something like that?  Is there a snorkel for the later trucks that might be adapted to a Bullnose?  

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Snorkel For Big Blue?

mat in tn
are you considering this as a permanent new feature of big blue?  how important is it to have a hood if its only temporary? if you are willing to "swamp" the engine bay then keeping rain out is not a strong point. go topless and add a riser to the box. like they would do in fla. haha
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
A snorkel would be permanent.  And since we'll be driving Big Blue a couple of hundred miles before we get to the trails I don't want to remove the hood.  But thanks anyway.

As for Florida, Big Blue is no longer there.  He's been rescued.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm trying to think of any other way besides cutting the fender. like beside the booster into the cowl. I know that was done years ago in nascar. would that give enough height and not be in view? although i like the tricked out, purpose-built look. following the a pillar and having a bit of a rain cap too. possibly even coming out the fender as far back as possible and using turbo style couplings under the hood. are you expecting water inside the cab also?
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I went back and watched the video. I love off roading, "overlanding". that make me want to build one that I don't mind denting. that trail looks to be a lot of fun and taking the time with family is priceless. we have done our share of mudding around here too. but I like the overall adventure including the drive in and out. highway and "no roads".
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by mat in tn
No water in the cab as we won't need to go that deep.  But I don't really want to cut the fender.  Yes, I like the purpose-built look, and a snorkel would certainly fit with that.  However, cutting that hole doesn't seem like the thing to do.

And there's really no path back to the firewall.  With the Hydroboost there are hoses everywhere.  So I don't think I can do that either.

What I'm really most interested in is using the one shown in the screen shot below, which I think is from a Windsor.  I'm not sure there's enough room between the radiator shroud and the A/C compressor, but I want to give it a try.  It'll raise the bottom of the inlet from 36" to 48" above the ground, which should be enough.

You don't happen to have one you'd sell?

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
if you are referring to the snorkel that comes out of the air box and up to the top of the core support, i may have one. I will need to look. where does yours get the air from now?
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yes, I'm talking about the duct that comes out of the box, goes in front of the A/C compressor, and up to the top of the core support.  If you have one I'd like to buy it from you as it would save me from finding one in a salvage here.

The 460's and IDI's get their air through the core support, as shown below.  The shot on the left shows it from the front inside the red oval, and the shot on the right shows the insulated duct going beside the radiator.

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Gary Lewis wrote
What I'm really most interested in is using the one shown in the screen shot below, which I think is from a Windsor.  I'm not sure there's enough room between the radiator shroud and the A/C compressor, but I want to give it a try.  It'll raise the bottom of the inlet from 36" to 48" above the ground, which should be enough.

You don't happen to have one you'd sell?

Gary, is this what you are thinking about?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125642257832?chn=ps&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&amdata=enc%3A1a_X8SFAXT5CLWd-fJqgsZQ40&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&mkscid=101&itemid=125642257832&targetid=1644837435723&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012677&poi=&campaignid=16743749222&mkgroupid=138744546207&rlsatarget=pla-1644837435723&abcId=9300842&merchantid=114606889&gclid=CjwKCAiAqaWdBhAvEiwAGAQltrAq0c6dtbhGbx_LELZ6LAs8OkkGW5IZI9E022jWNBRwJJ0RbFP7sBoC7R0QAvD_BwE

Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, that exactly it.  Thanks, David!

But I'm going to call a salvage that we'll be passing on our way to Owasso later today and see if they have one.  If not that one might be on order soon.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Turns out they are closed today but open tomorrow, and since we are going by there on Thursday as well I may wait until tomorrow to find out if they have one.

But I've found a conundrum.  That eBay posting says it is for 1987-96 trucks and the ID # is F4TE 9E635-AA.  So I thought I'd find the part number and see if anyone has one new.

Obviously that specific part was designed in '94, but I thought I might find a close fit and I found this entry in the 1980-89 MPC.  (Note that generic PN 9C675 refers you back to generic PN 9A624).

That appears to say that E7TZ 9C675-F fits F-Series 302's from 1987 through the end of the catalog, which is '89.  But that's at odds with the Illustration section which shows that for 1987 & 8 there was a bizarre inlet system that pre-heated the air for the Windsors.  Has anyone seen one of those?

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
it is odd that they reference the exact part number. I do have one of those on the workbench but it's not perfect. I have not had the chance to go check storage yet as family is here.  
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
The Powerstrokes in 1994.5-1997 get their air from a duct over top of the left battery.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Matt.  If I can find one locally tomorrow then that'll save shipping.  But if not maybe your "imperfect" one would be good?  What's wrong with it?

Bill - Any pics?  I can't get my head around that.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I will have to look later, i have the 1995 manual set in PDF format.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Well, I have the same manual so maybe I can find it?  

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Yep, found it.  But the PowerStroke uses a completely different air cleaner arrangement that doesn't look like it would be easy to adapt.

And another thing I noted is that the 4.9L and 7.5L got the rather straight, through the core support tube, and the Windsors, including the Lightning, used the over-the-radiator approach.  That seems to fit nicely with my expectation that the length of the engine is why the over-the-radiator approach wouldn't fit.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
I am going to toss another monkey wrench or two in the box (along with the snakes, worms etc.), First, fan, once it starts thrashing water, it drags horribly and throws it everywhere. This includes the distributor. Water, especially dirty water, conducts electricity, DS-II and TFI systems are, like a GM HEI very high voltage, so crossfire becomes an issue. After leaving your deep water crossing, as everything warms back up. this "pool" in the distributor bowl will evaporate and re-condense in the cooler cap making things quite exciting.

Military tactical vehicles have sealed ignition systems, even the plug cables are sealed, like airplanes. Both are designed to remain functioning in either driving rain or actually under water. COP or Coil near plug systems could probably do well as the bulk of the wiring is 12V rather than 25-50KV.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks, Bill.  I'll try to seal things as best I can, and if on the first round of overlanding we find that the engine misses badly then I'll see about going to an electric fan that can be turned off.

As for sealing, I've used Dow grease on the spark plugs, but should use it on the dizzy as well as the coil and plug wires.