Several Lug questions on a rear Dana 60 with opposite threads

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Several Lug questions on a rear Dana 60 with opposite threads

dirtymac
I have been working on my rear brakes and have run into some issues with the wheel studs.  I have a Dana 60 with opposite threads on the left side.  I snapped one off before finding out about the opposite threads.  I found another was severely bent.  Over-all, most of the studs and nuts are just boogered from years of neglect.  Smooshed threads, bad threads, cross-threaded, they're rough.

I have found a few posts about the reverse threaded bolts.  It sounds like I can replace these with the regular ones.  Is that the case and are there any draw backs?

I bought a couple of the reverse studs.  They're Dorman.  They don't seem as nice as the stock studs.  They've already given me trouble.  Is there a better source or brand?

Also, for good measure, how safe is it to drive with one missing nut?  Two missing nuts?
Will
--
1982 F250 4x4 400/C6 Dana60
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Several Lug questions on a rear Dana 60 with opposite threads

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You've got an eight lug hub.
It's fine to drive "normally" with seven nuts, not recommended, but nothing bad is going to happen.

Left hand on the left side is a throwback to knock off wheels and some old military standards that required them.
Note that even Dana/Spicer discontinued using them.

You might have a look at U-techcenter/Uhaul truckpartsonline eBay storefront. This is where I get a bunch of genuine Ford NOS for cheap.
Lugnuts, studs, nuts & bolts, wire sets, all kind of stuff.
Though their older inventory is getting snapped up by restorers and resellers.
Shipping is prompt and cheap. They will combine if you make a note on your cart.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
1107 is Ford's basic part number for a wheel stud.
There are a bunch of wheel studs on there but I don't know what you need.
You just want to match the right, and get lug nuts too, correct?
I'm assuming yours are 9/16x2 1/2"???
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
They are 9/16-18.  The length is in question.  The Dorman part is listed as 2 25/32 but that one does not have the quick start tip like the factory stud.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
As long as the knurled end is the right size (some studs are really big under the head) it shouldn't matter too much the length.
The studs in my 10.25 are stupid long and completely unnecessary for an SRW.
Not a big deal when I have my impact but I sure wouldn't want to be changing a flat with the bent bar Ford left me under the hood.
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
The total length of the original studs is about 3 1/4.  They are definitely long.
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If you don't care about the length uhaultruckpartsonline has a listing for pairs of genuine Ford studs c9tz1107c for $2.79

https://www.ebay.com/itm/201919827234?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=S3BjJ0E7SWC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=V52-0s-ZTpm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

I'm not seeing the lug nuts I bought in box of 4 right now, but they might be there on the other page (U-techcenter)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Amazon's got the Dorman RH nuts, $18.62 for 10

Dorman 611-058 Wheel Nut 9/16-18 Standard - 1-1/16 In. Hex, 21/32 In. Length Compatible with Select Ford Models, 10 Pack https://a.co/d/hYmkpQo
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
This post was updated on .
 Sorry I couldn't get it over here. I have a PDF of all dormans lug studs by dimensions on my work computer.  could not figure out how to copy it over here.

Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
You probably want "upload a file" from the choices in the [more] button at the right above the reply window.

I was hoping to find OEM for cheap, but I don't think U-haul has any left. (it's over two decades ago)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
dorman_Wheel-Lug-Stud_Attributes(2).xlsx

hope this works thanks!
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by Bruce moose4x4
Thanks!
Will
--
Reply | Threaded
|

dirtymac
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
I ended up finding the Dorman studs at O'Reilly.  They don't have the quick-start tip but they worked ok.  I also ended up getting a couple of the Dorman nuts from Napa and just had to wait a day for them to come into town.  I ended up sticking with the lefthand-threads for now.
Will
--