classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
10 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Sensor & Connector Identification

Dyn Blin
I’m hoping to leverage the collective wisdom here:

As I was changing my oil today, I noticed what appears to be a disconnected sensor/sending unit and connector.  

As you can see from the photos, the connector has been melted, likely from sitting on the manifold.  Interestingly, the connector doesn’t quite reach the sensor from the PO’s zip tie of the wire to the harness.  Evidently, it has not been connected for some time, if ever.  It's at the end of the pick-up tube where the sending unit for the gauge connects, too.

Is this a sensor and connector for an oil pressure warning light?  (I have a dash gauge)

(photos look just over the oil filter on the right side of the engine as you look from the hood.)

As an aside, my gauge has been reading high side (up to the very edge of the "normal"band) until the thermostat opens  in the mornings over the last week, but it hasn't been too cold here (in the mid-30's)).  I pulled the sensor that was connected and attached a pressure gauge which read 57 PSI at 2000 RPM, which seems to be within spec according the service manual.  I'm running 10W-30 with a Mobil M1 filter.

*(Engine is either a Windsor 302 or 351 -there’s a  long story as to why I’m not yet sure)

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Sensor & Connector Identification

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Mark - I had an '82 and if I remember correctly it had both and oil pressure sending unit, for the gauge, and an oil pressure switch, for the computer.  But that's what I think you have.  In fact, if you were to follow that wire back I'd bet it goes, or went, to the computer under the driver's seat.

I don't have the '82 EVTM on line.  In fact, I'm not sure I have one.  However, I'll check tomorrow to see if I can find the schematic for the ECU that used an oil pressure switch.

As for the oil pressure, that's not bad for a cold engine.  Seems like it is pretty tight.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Thanks Gary, I figured that must be it, or the belt & suspenders approach for a transitional year or option.

I have an '82 EVTM on it's way, too.  Happy to share it if needed.
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
What I found on my '82 was that the computer and its wiring was completely separate from the rest of the truck's wiring.  I was able to take the computer out and remove all of its sensors and wiring w/o changing any other wiring on the truck.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Dyn Blin wrote
*(Engine is either a Windsor 302 or 351 -there’s a  long story as to why I’m not yet sure)
The simplest way for me to tell is to look where the ds waterpump boss meets the block.
Is the head almost touching, or is there an inch or more of block showing?

it is a good reference point for you to see the extra stroke of a 351W.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
Thanks for that.  The VIN indicates a 302 from the factory.  The PO mentioned he acquired it with a rebuilt 351, but had no other verification or provenience of the alleged swap.  It was such a great deal, I didn't really care enough to make it a deeper dive prior to the sale.

There's indeed about 1" of distance between the planes of the water pump boss and deck shelf, which would indicate a 351.  However, when I had to source and re-install the emissions equipment to pass the acquisition inspection and smog test, I used the Ford '82 Car & Truck Engine/Emissions Facts Book Summary as a guide.  It reflects some differences between the set-ups for the CA variants of 302 and 351, and mine matched the 302 in practice & execution.  In my haste to get it "legal" to pass emissions and update the registration, I didn't think to look at casting numbers to verify when I had the emissions, air and carb off.

See?  Long story.  

One of these days I'll check the casting numbers and/or simply pull a plug and turn it by hand to measure the stroke and figure it out once and for all.

Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
If it has the extra deck height it has to be a 351.

I can imagine when the P.O. put the engine in he put back all the 302 emissions stuff and it would look legit.
 Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Amen.  Must be a 351W, but with all the emissions stuff, and the inspector is none the wiser.

Reply | Threaded
|

Dyn Blin
In reply to this post by Dyn Blin
Ok.  I'm going to put it in my signature, so it must be true!
Sonoma County,CA
1982 F150 Flareside XLS
NP435 4x4
351W Motorcraft 2150

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That'll make it true.