classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
14 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Running Board Opinions

kramttocs
Administrator
Camano came with the 4 piece diamond tread running boards that I removed the rear set from as I didn't care for that look. I know I'll need some kind of step after the restore so just wanting to see what you guys are think/have/like.
I like the ones it had (not sure if they are deezee or not) so odds are and since I have them and the holes all line up, I'll put the front set back on after some cleaning but I'd like to see what other recommendations are.

At the jy there is a truck exactly like mine that has the same running boards (again no deezee label). Were these factory/dealer or just a common add on? I've also seen some at the jy (might have been broncos) that had the grip strip on them.

Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Running Board Opinions

Steve83
Banned User
Yes, they might be factory or dealer parts.

Step tape probably won't work on diamond-plate.
Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
In reply to this post by kramttocs
I am not a fan of running boards.  However, if they are necessary, I would go with Ford "Eddie Bauer" style steps that were found on the later 1995/1996 F150s:

Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
Thanks for that diagram. Yeah, I didn't mean that I wanted to put the tape on mine but rather that I'd seen both and they looked similar enough to be factory. But the one with the tape had ridges going longways with at least one wider space for the tape. I am positive that was on a bronco now that I think about it.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
My wife agrees with you. Normally I wouldn't put them on but with two little kids and the height of the 4x4 I think they will be needed.
I am on the fence with the Eddie Bauer ones. My hitch is that they look streamlined which is anti-everything else on the bullnoses.

Plus I think they might look a bit short on a supercab.

Appreciate the idea though.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
LARIAT 85 wrote
..."Eddie Bauer" style steps that were found on the later 1995/1996 F150s...
I don't think they were specific to EBs - just optional on high-trim trucks (Broncos & all Fs), and part of the '94-97 EB package.  But they're hard to find & expensive.  The support tubes alone are $500/pr new, because all the originals rust out.  I make non-tubular direct-replacement supports:

They WERE made for Broncos, std.cabs, and X-cabs.  I've never seen them on a 4-door.
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
With the supercab version having the longer back part it actually doesn't look near as bad as I'd imagined.
Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
I have these on my truck and Bronco.

https://www.carr.com/product/the-hoop-ii/
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by Steve83
I have DeeZee boards on Darth, they were on the truck when I got him in 1994. I had to replace all of the supports as they had rusted pretty badly and the bed side sections were originally supported by a long brace to the inside on the wheel well. I was able to get new hardware from DeeZee.

Steve, your first picture of the factory optional running boards, that looks exactly like mine were, so maybe Ford got them made by DeeZee, mine actually have DeeZee on them so that was how I knew where to find parts.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Steve83
Banned User
85lebaront2 wrote
...maybe Ford got them made by DeeZee...
Very possible.  Ford got most parts from subcontractors, and some were designed & built by those mfr.s before Ford began buying them as factory or dealer options.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
If it might be helpful, I do have a bunch of pictures from rebuilding mine. When I ordered the replacement hardware kit from DeeZee, I used the bolts, nuts and washers for sizing, then went to my Fastenal store (2 miles away at the time) and bought stainless fasteners so I would not have the rust problems.

I also built a very sturdy rear support for the dually bed side boards (no longer made) as they were somewhat flimsy as originally built. The resulting front of the wheel structure is strong enough that when I grenaded an outside dual at 70 mph on the US 13 bypass around Salisbury MD, the only visible sign left of it is some black scuff marks on the large aluminum panel that is the support for the rear of the left side board.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
Hey Bill - I'd like to see yours as well as a part number for the replacement hardware if you have it.
Here is what came off mine (front boards on both sides). Minus the almost full length z bars that have 4 bolts that attach to one of the lips under the rocker. I don't know if any of these are original (would say at least some aren't) or even if my boards are deezee. Going to start blasting on these this evening to coat them. Since the holes are already present to mate them to my truck, I'll likely use them but I'd like to see how the official deezee ones look.

Scott

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Ok, I will go through them, resize and post them. It may be Sunday before I get them done.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
As promised, unfortunately I lost a number of the mounting pictures in a hard drive failure.

Right side cab board only

Left side complete set on

Left side front mounts for bed side board

Right bed side intermediate support

Left bed side support rear attachment to cross piece

Right bed side board ready to be installed

Right side boards complete

Left side closeup

Original right bed side support, the "weld" was a small tack job

New cross frame support for the rear of the bed side boards

Left side cab board installed

Right side cab board installed

Rear of right side cab board showing braces

Underside view of left cab board rear support

Darth before upgrades were started, right side

Another view

Left 3/4 view

Right side
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile