Round Two: When Should The Truck Show Be In 2023?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Round Two: When Should The Truck Show Be In 2023?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
It has been suggested that we consider having the show in late August instead of September, so let's do this again since I cannot edit the poll in the When Should The Truck Show Be In 2023? thread.

So if there is a chance that you might attend the show next year please vote in the poll below.

Things to consider:

Temps: Labor Day is roughly the time when it starts cooling off here in Okiehoma - but only slightly.  So each week earlier is probably going to be a bit warmer, and later tends to be a bit cooler.  This year two weeks prior the temp at 2 pm was 93F.  One week prior it was the same.  On Sept 3rd it was 90.  And while that may not seem a lot, part of the issue is that the lows change as well.

The Gym: The event is held at our church building and we have a large air-conditioned gym that is right next to the parking lot where the trucks are shown.  So you can easily go in and sit at a table to cool down, have a bite to eat, etc.

Lodging: Hotel rooms are more expensive on Labor Day weekend than any other time.

When should the show be in 2023?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Round Two: When Should The Truck Show Be In 2023?

Dorsai
I voted for two weeks after Labor Day.  Not only does that free up the holiday weekend for family time here at home, it's also cooler temperature-wise.  The A/C in my truck is adequate, at best, so every little bit helps.
Matthew
1980 F-150 Custom 2wd longbed, 300-6, C6, 2.75 rear axle
Atlanta GA
Reply | Threaded
|

ratdude747
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Voted for the status quo since it works well for me. But I'm a minority.
1984 F150: 300 L6, AOD, RWD. EEC IV / TFI, Feedback Carter YFA Carb. Stock everything but radio (for now).
Reply | Threaded
|

kramttocs
Administrator
I also voted for Labor Day.
A number of reasons both personal and speculative.

Granted, cooler weather would be nice...
Scott
'Camano' 1986 F250 Supercab XLT Lariat 460/C6
'Chanute' 1980 F350 C&C 400/NP 435 - Gin Pole

But there ain't nothin' wrong with the radio
Reply | Threaded
|

FuzzFace2
I don't have a pig in this race but what is traffic like on a holiday weekend?

Sitting in traffic when it is 90°+ out is not fun.
Just something to think of.
Dave  ----
Dave G.
81 F100 flare side 300 six / AA OD / NP435 / 2.75 gear
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1980-Ford-F100?page=1
81 F100 style side 300 six/SROD parts truck -RIP
http://cars.grantskingdom1.com/index.php/1981-Ford-F100
Reply | Threaded
|

Blue_Whale
I ended up voting for Labor Day weekend.  Traffic seemed ok since I drove up Friday and returned Sunday - I'd expect traffic to be worse Monday.  While I imagine Labor Day will compete for a lot of folks time, I appreciated it being that weekend just to allow an additional day for me to take care of weekend chores.  If I had to pick an alternative date, I'd choose two weeks in either direction.  The week before or after will likely just be a little harder to take off.  

As an aside, it was great fun getting to see everyone and their rigs, If you're on the fence I'd recommend going.
1985 F-250 XLT Lariat
2-WD 6.9 IDI
132,000 Miles
Automatic
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks!  You answered Dave's question about traffic awa my question about when.  

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
As a answer to the question about when the 2023 show will be, it will be on Sept 16th, which is the 2nd weekend after Labor Day.