Rotor shim available?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Rotor shim available?

Littlebeefy
I'm looking for a part number for a rotor shim that will fit the 5x5.5 bolt pattern. I'm shocked that I can't find one. If anyone has used one to correct runout and knows what it was or where you got it, please let me know.
Thanks,
Chad
LittleBeefy aka Chad

“Dot Doitall”: 1984 Bronco XLT
460 (C8VE), Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, ZF5, NP205, D44HP solid axle, 4.56
urban assault vehicle

"Bebe": 2022 Bronco Badlands 2dr
2.7l, Sasquatch, Iconic Silver, Black Marine-grade interior, hard-top

"Celeste": 1979 Porsche 928
4.5l K-jet, 5-sp, S4/GTS brakes, LSD, Pasha interior
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Rotor shim available?

85lebaront2
Administrator
I generally corrected run out by having them turned and if too bad, then replaced.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
The rotors are new. The high spot moves and changes depending on how I have them mounted on the axle hub. If I rotate them 72 or 144 degrees on the studs I get different measurements. Makes me think the axle hub is a hair off, not the rotor, that's why I was going to try a shim.

A shim for a 5 on 5.5 bolt pattern would only be designed for a truck that had rear wheel discs from the factory. Is there a truck that came from the factory with rear discs and a 5x5.5 bolt pattern?
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
I'm not familiar with a shim to fix this issue. I can understand a shim to locate the rotor within the range of the caliper, but runout means something needs to be fixed not compensated for. unfortunately, the "new" parts are becoming more often the problem. it is possible to find the better fitment by indexing the rotor the way that you describe but it should never be necessary to do so. and that can only do so much. you may even find that swapping left to right may give a better (or worse) fitment.
Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
Small amounts of runout can SOMETIMES be resolved with a shim, from my understanding. Look at RAYBESTOS BA10906 for a Dodge Ram, for example. It says it's designed to address up to .006" of runout. If the entire surface of the hub is angled, a shim like this won't fix it. But when you have very small surface inconsistencies (like the size of a human hair), I think this paper shim would be more yielding for even surface mating. In all honesty, tho, I agree with you. I think it should be straight right out of the box.

I did find a small steel shim from Baer. It is only 3mm and will give my rotors a little more clearance from the caliper bracket. I'd prefer aluminum but haven't been able to find one. I am using the Wilwood 140-7140 kit that I got from Moser with the custom drilled rotors for 5x5.5. The quality on the stuff is really great. Tolerances are unbelievable. I think my issue stems from the fact that I'm using a chromoly rear axle that is about 3/32" shorter offset. That's why I'm having to use a shim on the rotors. The bracket currently clears the back of the rotor, but the gap is tighter than anything you'd see on a new German sports car. I could pull the axle bearing of and put a small shim on there to give me a little more offset (I know Moser sells them), but I don't think I need to go to the trouble. I'm probably going to try out the steel shim and get the rotor torqued down really tight and try again with the dial indicator. It's my first time doing this, so I will either get what I want or I will get experience...
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Littlebeefy
I just want to close this out now that I got it resolved. I ended up getting a 1/8" axle bearing shim from Moser. Had to replace both axle bearings to put it on, but it did move my offset back to stock. I put the Wilwood disc kit on the back now that I have the offset correct and the thing looks and fits great. I'm not sure if it corrected the runout yet (I smoothed the hub face also to clean up the imperfections), but it's as good as it is going to get without new axles so I'll write back once I've got it back on the road (which might be in a couple more months because I'm redoing the front brakes, installing the A/C and upgrading the exhaust).
LittleBeefy aka Chad

urban assault vehicle

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Thanks for the followup, Chad.  I hope that solves the runout issue as well.  
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI