Reverse & Third Brake Lights Not Working

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
4 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Reverse & Third Brake Lights Not Working

OleBrownie
My reverse lights and third brake light have not worked ever since I’ve had the truck, just never got around to fixing it and need to soon. I’m not sure whether it’s a fuse or bad connection; I don’t know how to check and am not very sure where to start a diagnostic. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know, thank you!
Chase Myers
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Reverse & Third Brake Lights Not Working

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Third brake light?  I'm not sure what you mean as these trucks only have two brake lights.

But on the backup lights the problem is frequently either the switch in the transmission or the wiring back by the lights.  So I'd start by looking to see if the wiring is connected to the switch on the transmission.  Then I'd follow it on back to the lights themselves.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

OleBrownie
Thank you for the diagram! I think I meant the Rear Cab Light, the one outside the truck above the rear window, bulb looks brand new and I replaced it anyways but does not work.
Chase Myers
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
You do know that you turn the headlight knob fully counterclockwise to get the bed light on, right?
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI