Return Springs/Throttle Shaft Bushing Wear

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Return Springs/Throttle Shaft Bushing Wear

LARIAT 85
In addition to the stock throttle cable, I currently have an aftermarket Lokar transmission kickdown (AOD TV) cable attached to my throttle lever, in lieu of a kickdown (AOD TV) rod. Which means I have two return springs closing the throttle lever. The throttle return spring is part of the throttle cable, which pushes the throttle lever closed from the back. At the same time, the Lokar kickdown cable has a return spring that is part of the transmission cable, which pulls the the throttle lever closed from the back.

Is this bad for the throttle shaft bushings?  It is currently set up like this, and 1:30 shows the motion:

https://youtu.be/Uah6-xJOb4k?t=92

Now that I have the correct Motorcraft 2150 AOD throttle lever that will accept the stock TV rod, I was thinking about swapping the linkage over to my Autolite 4100.  But if the Lokar kickdown (TV) cable isn't any worse on the throttle shaft bushings, I might leave it.
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Return Springs/Throttle Shaft Bushing Wear

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I don't think you have a problem.  The two springs are actually balanced, with the throttle cable pushing the top of the arm forward, and the TV cable pulling the bottom of the arm back.  So, assuming the two have roughly the same force, then the fore/aft forces cancel each other and there should not be any extra wear.

I think I would leave it if it is properly adjusted.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

LARIAT 85
Thanks, Chief!  
Lucille:  1985 Ford F150 XLT Lariat

*Colors:  Dark Canyon Red exterior, Canyon Red interior
*Engine: 5.0, CompCams 31-230-3, "Thumper" E7 heads, Edelbrock Performer intake, Autolite 4100 carburetor, DuraSpark II ignition, Thorley Tri-Y headers, Flowmaster dual exhaust, H-pipe.
*Drivetrain:  AOD transmission, 3.55 gears, 2wd.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
In reply to this post by LARIAT 85
If you want to change the throttle shaft, it is a good thought, it would remove having two springs pulling back on the throttle shaft, which, since Ford did not use bushings on their throttle shafts, will wear the aluminum on that 50+ year old carburetor. Some of the rebuilders do bush them during remanufacturing.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Bill - I thought Rick said that one spring pushes forward while the other spring, on the opposite arm of the linkage, pulls back.  That seemed balanced to me.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
That's true, there is also the pump overtravel spring and if he puts the 2150 throttle shaft in it may have a return spring built in, most of the newer carbs do (government mandated).
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413