Refurbishing this 4WD rear drive shaft (1985 4.9 i6)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Refurbishing this 4WD rear drive shaft (1985 4.9 i6)

Jon M
So I'm going point by point and replacing most of the wearable parts in ol' Joleen. I finally got most of the way past the rear differential and am starting work on the rear drive shaft. So far, the universal joints are a fairly easy fix but the slip yoke is posing some problems. The sleeve that holds the grease fitting has a lot of cracked rubber and the grease fitting itself lost its retention bead so it's slings grease everywhere when it's full... makes it unfull real quick!

can ya'll point me the direction of where I can get replacement parts for the grease fitting and rubber around the yoke sleeve (that's probably not the name but it's what I'm calling it)?

(lots of cracked rubber here. not sure how well it'll hold grease)

(its hard to see but this grease fitting has lost the little bead that retains the grease. makes for quite a mess under the cab)
Jon
1984 Single Cab F150 300/4.9L i6 named 'Dolly'
4X4 - rear 3.55 limited slip, Dana 44
and nothing fancy ... yet.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Refurbishing this 4WD rear drive shaft (1985 4.9 i6)

85lebaront2
Administrator
Grease fitting should unscrew from the metal cap.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Jon M
Jon - I'm not finding the seal in the master parts catalog, but part of the problem is that I don't know enough about your truck.  Please put more detail in your signature and I'll see what I can find.  But I need to know what transmission you have, what wheelbase you have or if it is a regular or supercab, and even what axle ratio you have.

Or you can go to the page at Documentation/Driveline/Driveshafts and then to the Application tab and find the part number of your driveshaft and with that we may be able to find the seal.  The application chart looks like what's shown below and you can see how complex it is.

Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
Gary you led me down a massive rabbit hole today, I learned a lot about my truck in the process.

So, based off my vin tag...

I've got the clark (Tremec?) transmission

With this suspension (this was just for me to know, not sure it's applicable here but I'm glad I found it)

and this drive shaft.

I think I read all that right. Really I'm hoping to not have to buy a new slip yoke as they go for a pretty penny. but I think the rubber on that sleeve is might be forcing my hand. Unless there's a way to replace that rubber.

MAN I did not format this well. Apologies!
Jon
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator

Now you see why I need all that info.  But I'm glad you did the leg work as now you know how to navigate those things.  And you appear to have done well!  

As for the seal, maybe this will help.  First, I think the dust cap in question is on the rear driveshaft, right?  If so I think that is #129 from your list.  From the first snip below you'll see that it is PN E4TZ 4841-G.

Then from the lower snip you'll see its dimensions.  But at the top of the page you'll see the note that I highlighted the bit about D8TZ 4710-A.  Those are available, like here.  But they can't be one-size-fits-all since the yoke sizes vary dramatically.

Speaking of that, down at the bottom I've added a table from the 1973-79 MPC that shows more about the slip yokes and that cap.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Jon M
That was unbelievably helpful. Was this Slip Yoke information available in the documentation? If so, I totally missed it.

I can't tell you how grateful I am for your help, sir!
Jon
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
I think everything but the 73-79 MPC page is available.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Bruce moose4x4
In reply to this post by Jon M
I searched Spicer slip yoke seal on google.
This is a fairly common #.

https://fortwayneclutch.com/product/slip-seal-press-style-driveshaft-slip-yoke-seal-1-5-applications-sku-211158x/
Bruce aka Moose--1978 F250 LWB Flareside, Dana 60's w/ 4:10's, 460, c6
Reply | Threaded
|

JimJam300
How is this removed? I figure it goes on with a press. I gotta do mine soon.
1982 Bronco restomod in progress: Built 4.9L, T19 4spd, 9" 3.00 rear w/ Eaton TrueTrac, 31" tires, fuel injection soon
https://www.youtube.com/@jimjamauto