classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Rag joints..

Gary Lewis
Administrator
That's exactly what Big Blue has.  I don't know if it is original as Vernon had a lot of steering work done, so probably not.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I wanted to add a point here.  I just pulled my steering box and figured I would replace my rag joint since I'm in there.  I pulled the shaft out and have found that the rag joint is riveted in.  I'm assuming that I can grind off the rivets and install the replacement with the nuts and bolts that it comes with?

The replacement that I have is a Lares 204

I just want to make sure I can do this or if I have to order something different.  The more I look at it compared to other pictures in the this post the more I don't think that's possible and I should look for a different steering shaft.

Here's what my rag joint looks like.

Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

mat in tn
the simplest answer i can give is to source a steering sector from an 87-89. it bolts in exactly the same but has the universal joint at the top instead of the older shrouded style and it also has a better version of the isolator (rag joint) the earlier rag joints were practically just that. like they were cut out of the sidewall of a tire. i believe the same can be said through 91 but i only have an 89 in front of me to verify.
Reply | Threaded
|

CRittaler
I'll try and swing by my local pick and pull sometime this week then.  They don't have a lot of stock for those years a couple trucks per yard so hopefully I can find something.
Chris
1985 Ford F250 XLT SuperCab
ZF5-42 swapped 460 hot fuel, factory AC.
Part way through 4WD swap.

1988 Suzuki Samurai -- Daily Driver
1968 Dodge Dart -- Project car
1957 Chevy 4400 Flat Bed -- Collector Project
Reply | Threaded
|

1986F150Six
Administrator