RPM sensor wires spliced?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RPM sensor wires spliced?

kcinga
Just bought a 1986 F-350 Diesel with dual wheels. Automatic transmission has been replaced by previous owner, but tachometer isn’t working. When I checked RPM sensor (1-inch nut with 2 wires), mine has 2 additional wires that have been connected to it. It appears that one set of wires goes behind alternator, the other set feeds the dash, I think. Is there a wiring diagram that shows how RPM sensor, alternator and dash hookup should be connected? I’ve ordered another RPM sensor, but I need to figure out if it should connect to wiring that goes behind alternator or the wiring that goes to the dash… then figure out whatever wiring is still unconnected and where it should connect.9EA7DC90-BC89-4D44-923E-B29764E31DD8.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: RPM sensor wires spliced?

Gary Lewis
Administrator
Hello!  Glad you joined.  

But, before we get to the problem you are having there's the issue of our guidelines.  We sent you an email asking you to post an introduction in the New Members Start Here folder before posting elsewhere, but you may not have seen it.  The reason we ask you to do that is because that's where we have the guidelines posted and that gives you the best chance to see them, which is important as we hold everyone to them.

So before we talk about the tach please at least let us know you've read the guidelines, if not post an intro in that folder.
Gary, AKA "Gary fellow": Profile

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
Done! Sorry that I missed that step.
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by Gary Lewis
You need to get familiar with the 1986 Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, aka EVTM.  It is available at Documentation/Electrical/EVTM/1986 EVTM.  It shows all of the wiring, but is broken down by system.

In it you'll find the page shown below that gives the wiring to the tach.  

But don't miss that the page after that has component locations, and they point you to this page, which might help as well.

Dad's: '81 F150 Ranger XLT 4x4: Down for restomod: Full-roller "stroked 351M" w/Trick Flow heads & intake, EEC-V SEFI/E4OD/3.50 gears w/Kevlar clutches
Blue: 2015 F150 Platinum 4x4 SuperCrew wearing Blue Jeans & sporting a 3.5L EB & Max Tow
Big Blue: 1985 F250HD 4x4: 460/ZF5/3.55's, D60 w/Ox locker & 10.25 Sterling/Trutrac, Blue Top & Borgeson, & EEC-V MAF/SEFI

Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
In reply to this post by kcinga
kcinga wrote
Done! Sorry that I missed that step.
No worries, lots of people do.  

Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
Thanks! Still trying to understand what I’m seeing. I see lines 11 and 12 coming from tachometer with color designations (like dg/y=dark green with yellow stripe), but not sure what C130 is and why I’m seeing a wire coming from both ends of RPM sensor. I’m aware of the 1-inch nut with 2 wires for one connector, but previous owner rigged up something else entirely. According to your diagram, I should see DB/Y colors on one end and BK/LG colors on the other end, right? At the moment, I see 2 black wires going from one connector of RPM sensor, which goes behind alternator. Other spliced-in connector (going to dash, I think) has red color from one of its wires. Faintly seen in attached photo. Thoughts?957A99F2-F5EC-4D4C-82C1-E6894DE6BD3C.jpeg
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
C130 is the connector.

I agree with what Jim said in the other thread, vacuum controls the C6 automatic. The tach should have nothing to do with it.

Does the tach work with those two extra wires disconnected?

Edit: yes you should have dark green with a yellow dash and black with a light green dash hooked to the sensor.

Edit again: looks like your wiring has stripes not dashes. If there’s no stripes on the two black wires, they must be a ground for something.
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

Gary Lewis
Administrator
C130 is Connector #130, and if you scroll down to the last page of each section in the EVTM it shows where the connectors are.  In this case that's Page 100 and C130 is on the right fender apron, or inner fender.

But I don't know what the PO did.  I'd put it back to factory.  However, the RPM sensor won't make the transmission shift differently as it doesn't even connect to the tranny.

Also, please go look at Bullnose Forum/Forum FAQ's in the menu to see how to post pics.

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
Can you figure out which transmission controller your PO tried to install?
I hope the E4OD you now have is '89-'91 so it has a tailshaft output that can be used.

I don't think Mark Kovalsky (the former Ford powertrain engineer who developed the E4OD) can help you here but if we knew which controller it is there might be help troubleshooting.

Here's the pic:

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Too much other stuff to mention.
Reply | Threaded
|

grumpin
Also. I would crawl under there and confirm it’s an E4OD.

I’ve seen trucks like this posted for sale as an E4OD and they’re not.

Here’s an id guide.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/need-to-know-how-to-identify-ford-transmission.1204543/
Dane
1986 F250HD SC XLT Lariat 4x4 460 C6-Sold
1992 Bronco XLT 4x4 351W E4OD
1998 GMC Sierra SLE K1500 350 4L60E
Arizona
Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
In reply to this post by ArdWrknTrk
PO doesn’t know anything about transmission controller that was installed, but he thinks the E4OD transmission is an ‘89.
Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Here is an E4OD left side in a 1986 F350 crew cab.

On the right side, top of the lower portion pf the case, there will be a large plug. If it is a C6, there will be a vacuum modulator out the back of the case. The cross member will be moved back roughly 6" from where it would be for a C6 and the holes would have to have been drilled as there were no E4ODs prior to 1989.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
It’s an E4OD transmission. It has a 20bolt pattern for the pan. I don’t see any evidence of a transmission controller being added. It looks like transmission was connected to existing RPM sensor on the 6.9l diesel. So, it sounds like I should look for an E4OD transmission controller from Baumann? Anything specific needed for my 1986 f-350 diesel? I do see a wireless option for a diesel tachometer (sold by Autohack) that involves installing a sensor in oil pan (replacing pan drain bolt) and magnets on harmonic balancer. Not sure if it will work for what I need or not. I’d be curious to hear feedback on best option for my setup (i.e. 6.9l diesel with ‘89 E4OD transmission) by those on this forum that have way more knowledge than me.
Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
I've seen aftermarket signal generators that mount at the harmonic damper and heard of ones that read off the alternator.
I do know the ISSPRO R8901 unit works on my buddy's '89 350 dually. (for a tach, he still has the C6)
I can visualize how the one you mention would function, but it seems like a lot of work in an awkward and dirty location.

I'd be looking at the Quick4, for the ease of programming and features available.
If you go this route you also need the factory VSS that attaches between the speedo cable and transmission tailshaft housing.
The manual is available on their website, so you can review the installation procedure, programming and troubleshooting.

Jim,
Lil'Red is a '87 F250 HD, 4.10's, 1356 4x4, Zf-5, 3G, PMGR, Saginaw PS, desmogged with a Holley 80508 and Performer intake.
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
I'd be looking at the Quick4, for the ease of programming and features available.
If you go this route you also need the factory VSS that attaches between the speedo cable and transmission tailshaft housing.
The manual is available on their website, so you can review the installation procedure, programming and troubleshooting.
I just installed my Quick4 transmission controller yesterday...and by installed, I mean attached it to the inside of the firewall...the truck is not running yet. I was reading the instructions though, and I didn't see anything about connecting to a VSS, but you definitely need a TPS. I have the 4R70W, 4R75, AOD-E manual though...not the E4OD, but the controller is the same regardless.
1994 F150 4x2 Flareside. 5.0 w/MAF, 4R70W, stock.
1984 F150 4X2 Flareside. Mild 302 w/ 5spd. Sold.
1980 F150 4X4 Flareside. 300i6 w/ 5spd. Sold in 2021.
1980 F100 4X2 Flareside. 351w/2bbl w/NP435. Sold in 1995

Reply | Threaded
|

ArdWrknTrk
Administrator
This post was updated on .
It is optional. Pin 12
See page 33 of the setup manual.

*TPS should be right there on the injector pump (Y/G/Bk)
 Jim,
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
ArdWrknTrk wrote
It is optional. Pin 12
See page 33 of the setup manual.
Pin 12 is a digital speedometer output though, not input. It's for connecting to a speedometer with a digital/VSS input. I plan on using this myself.

You can input a tach signal though...it is not required, but it is optional. I'm not sure if it's beneficial or not.

I don' t think there's any speed signal inputs required for the controller...not that I'm aware of at least. I don't know anything about the E4OD, so all I have been reading about is the 4R70W that I have.

Reply | Threaded
|

85lebaront2
Administrator
Looking at the picture, I see the rpm sensor wiring is tapped and I see a TPS sitting on the side of the injection pump. On 1987-1991 trucks, if there was an EEC it would have been located at the left kick panel area. 1985-86 EFI trucks had it located to the right of the steering column inside the cab.

See if you have a bunch of wiring going through an oval rubber plug near the left valve cover, if so, the TCM is probably where the EEC would go (same size and shape).

I have a friend in Dover DE who is running an E4od on a carbureted 302.
Bill AKA "LOBO" Profile

"Getting old is inevitable, growing up is optional" Darth Vader 1986 F350 460 converted to MAF/SEFI, E4OD 12X3 1/2 rear brakes, traction loc 3:55 gear, 160 amp 3G alternator Wife's 2011 Flex Limited Daily Driver 2009 Flex Limited with factory tow package Project car 1986 Chrysler LeBaron convertible 2.2L Turbo II, modified A413

Reply | Threaded
|

kcinga
I did see this information online in regards to VSS and E4OD transmissions: “ 89-91 T cases use a VSS speedo cable combo”. So, if I get a Baumann Quick 4, it’s possible that I have everything I need to get E4OD transmission working on my 1986 F-350 6.9l diesel, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Rembrant
kcinga wrote
I did see this information online in regards to VSS and E4OD transmissions: “ 89-91 T cases use a VSS speedo cable combo”. So, if I get a Baumann Quick 4, it’s possible that I have everything I need to get E4OD transmission working on my 1986 F-350 6.9l diesel, right?
Yes, I believe so, but you'll have to confirm what year or generation your transmission is before ordering a Quick4 controller. They come with different harnesses for the different gen transmissions, so make sure you get that part right. They have a good picture guide showing the different connectors.

I'm still a bit confused on the speedometer cable/VSS combo and why the Quick4 needs it. The E4OD should have a speed sensor already built in, and there's a plug in the Quick4 harness for it. Maybe there is something different with the 1989-1991 E4OD regarding this as it still used the cable speedo in those early years. I know the 1992-up transmissions will have an integrated speed sensor, but maybe the 1989-1991 E4OD does not, and the VSS is located in the cable.

This truck is a 2wd correct?
Does this E4OD have a speedometer cable drive in the tail housing?